Airbnb

Scooter

Anybody else used this? Was looking for places to stay on holiday and heard of this. Was a bit wary at first but it's turned out not too bad.

Stayed in a Japanese tea house in Topanga Canyon near Los Angeles last nite... your typical 'cabin in the woods'! Apart from the crickets singing all nite and frogs in the shower it was really good.

No problems with other places we've stayed on this trip.

IMG_20160801_085808950.jpg

IMG_20160801_084623387.jpg

1 hour ago, Brianstorm said:

That's the froggiest looking frog I've ever see  

It's the froggiest frog you've ever heard too.

That is (I think) a Pacific Tree Frog. It is the one that sound recordists from Hollywood would go out and record for movie sound effects and is the reason why most people think all frogs ribbit. It is the only frog in the world that ribbits. Most other frogs bark or scream.

4 hours ago, KillieFanInToon said:

Air BnB is quality. Getting to stay in an actual place rather than an identikit hotel room is much more interesting and offers more freedom. Stayed in different places all over Europe and a couple in Canada too.

Absolutely.

I prefer www.homeaway.co.uk than AirBnb though, I find the ABnb site awful to use, and their added fees irritating.

In my experience, it's better to use these sorts of sites if you're going somewhere during a traditional 'busy'/tourist season wherever you're headed to. Reason being that the prices don't seem to change with the popularity of the season quite as much, and so you'll get decent prices during a busy time, whereas during 'off-peak' periods dynamic-pricing models used by hotels and chains means you can get better deals there during those time/s.

So, AirBnb is great for Edinburgh during the festival, but in November or February, the hotels are dying for your business and do cut-throat deals to get it. Best of both worlds.

4 hours ago, KillieFanInToon said:

Air BnB is quality. Getting to stay in an actual place rather than an identikit hotel room is much more interesting and offers more freedom. Stayed in different places all over Europe and a couple in Canada too.

That's why we've liked it so much. It's different from the usual chain hotels and it takes you places you otherwise might not go to. The places we've stayed have varied in quality but as long as the bed sheets are clean that's all we're concerned about.

4 minutes ago, mathematics said:

My mate used to rent out his flat using airbnb.

Then he realised that two burds who regularly came up form England to use it were using the flat as a two-week brothel.

And that's why Quentin Stafford-Fraser and Paul Jardetzky invented the webcam*    Ka-ching!

*actually it was to check to see if the coffee pot was empty or not. But still...

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked flights to Rome for October, and we're fancying this. I'll have a look at homeaway too, thanks. We're going to spend about 5 days in rome then head down to naples then back up for a few more rome days. AirBnb seems to be a decent place to organise this

I've never used it before, therefore i'm a bit apprehensive, especially with most of the photos of places being internal, and not showing what the area is like, but i'll do my research. 

Yes, do your research and the usual rules apply... read a lot of listings and reviews and make sure you're comfortable. Do Not pay Anyone outside the airbnb system as there are a few scams about.

We had a great time using the varied accommodation we booked up and down the west coast of America, all hosts were great to deal with, good communication and didn't have any problems but you cannot be too careful.