What are you listening to?

killiefan27

Shed Seven’s album is good and getting some air time in my house/car but not as much as The LaFontaines ‘Common Problem’ which I’ve been hammering the s**t out of for the last 2 weeks. Looking forward to seeing them at the Barras this Saturday with support from The Dykeenies.

On 13/11/2017 at 6:00 PM, Merk said:

Shed Seven’s album is good and getting some air time in my house/car but not as much as The LaFontaines ‘Common Problem’ which I’ve been hammering the s**t out of for the last 2 weeks. Looking forward to seeing them at the Barras this Saturday with support from The Dykeenies.

The LaFontaines are class. Funnily enough their first album, class, is one of my favourites.

9 hours ago, Killieboykfc said:

What do I know from their new album is a fantastic song. Think their new album is quite different to their older stuff but I am enjoying it.

I’m late getting into them. Knew the name for years but it wasn’t till I went to see them at TRNSMT I realised that they were bang up my street. Class the album is good but Class the song is superb! 

First listen to Common Problem I only liked a couple of tracks but as I said I’ve been hammering it and love pretty much the whole thing now.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, mathematics said:

Did you go see his son in Glasgow last year? Zappa plays Zappa. Was great.

Yes I have seen him 4 times on the Zappa plays Zappa tours. It was fantastic. I never thought I would hear much of Freak Out played live.When Frank was still alive I saw Dweezil & Ahmet (Z) at King Tuts. Frank died later that year. I was blown away when they played the "Star Jam" or "Peavey's Medley". It could hardly fail to have been a great gig with Scott Thunes, Mike Kennealy & Joe Travers in the Z touring band at that time. Shame that Gail stoked the fires & split up the family when she died. 

Edited by harley

21 hours ago, Killie1970 said:

Simple Minds new release 'Magic' is a return to form. Been played constantly on Radio 2.

Classic Simple Minds that tune.  Requires no introduction, is obvious who it is.  Is still a massive lack of bass in it though, if Simple Minds could get their original bassist back on board - they'd be as you say, back on form. 

To me, is still yer da n chums going through the motions, but better than most of the crap on radio 2 daytime!

2 minutes ago, RAG said:

Classic Simple Minds that tune.  Requires no introduction, is obvious who it is.  Is still a massive lack of bass in it though, if Simple Minds could get their original bassist back on board - they'd be as you say, back on form. 

To me, is still yer da n chums going through the motions, but better than most of the crap on radio 2 daytime!

Was disappointed with Big Music. It promised a lot but failed to deliver. I think they've gone back to their roots with this new album, they seem to be influenced by their own stuff, if you know what I mean. Agree about Derek Forbes though. His bass playing influenced that early sound and helped create a lot of the classic SM tunes. He has never been properly replaced.

3 minutes ago, Killie1970 said:

Was disappointed with Big Music. It promised a lot but failed to deliver. I think they've gone back to their roots with this new album, they seem to be influenced by their own stuff, if you know what I mean. Agree about Derek Forbes though. His bass playing influenced that early sound and helped create a lot of the classic SM tunes. He has never been properly replaced.

Once Upon A Time (despite the complete lack of bass guitar) is still probably my favourite album of all time, never get bored of it.

The SACD / DVD versions of it, remastered years later correct that no bass element - is worth the listen on youtube!

29 minutes ago, RAG said:

Once Upon A Time (despite the complete lack of bass guitar) is still probably my favourite album of all time, never get bored of it.

The SACD / DVD versions of it, remastered years later correct that no bass element - is worth the listen on youtube!

Classic album. Sent them into the stratosphere. If I remember correctly, it was John Giblin on bass for that album. It was short notice after Derek Forbes got punted. Always felt his bass playing was soft and more jazz orientated. Going back further, if you listen to Empires and Dance through Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call, you'll hear just how good the original drummer (Brian McGee) and the original bassist (Derek Forbes) compliment each other. A powerful combo and the root of all things good for SM.