Jack Paterson

Wrangodog

KILMARNOCK have drafted 16-year-old Jack Paterson into their squad for tomorrow's trip to Celtic Park.

And if the midfielder even makes it as far as the bench he will create his own little bit of Scottish football history - as the first of the SFA's Performance School pupils to make the breakthrough at first-team level.

Paterson has worked through the ranks at Grange Academy, one of the SFA's seven regional schools, where kids believed to have elite-level potential are able to cram in extra coaching around their studies.

Paterson has impressed his coaches there, and at Rugby Park, with his maturity, in addition to his on-field development, and has been rewarded with the call to link up with the senior side for the clash with the Hoops.

Paterson has been allocated a squad number, 43, and trained with the first team today.

3 hours ago, thesnowman21 said:

Makes a mockery of that muppet from the Daily Record who criticized the club for bringing in all those players from england at the start of the season.

With the exception of Coulibaly, and possibly one or two of the loan signings, I would suggest that he has largely been proven correct in several areas.

If Clark's signings had been anywhere near good enough we would not have seen so many young players in the team, similar to when AJ signed Stewart, Jacobs and Nicholson.

I would be surprised if his plan two months ago was to have Hawkshaw as a first choice midfielder.

Edited by fraz65

Fraz I agree with what you say. The big difference between Clark, AJ and Locke is that Clark from day one of the league campaign realised what we had was better than what he signed. Hawkshaw taking and keeping a CM role. Taylor and Frizzell being picked for big games ahead of new signings. Morrison earning his place on the bench ahead of the more experienced Clark signing Bojaj. 

Our previous managers were guilty of sticking with the poor signings for too long and overlooking our own young players. Then when times got tough they relied on them. 

18 hours ago, piffer said:

Fraz I agree with what you say. The big difference between Clark, AJ and Locke is that Clark from day one of the league campaign realised what we had was better than what he signed. Hawkshaw taking and keeping a CM role. Taylor and Frizzell being picked for big games ahead of new signings. Morrison earning his place on the bench ahead of the more experienced Clark signing Bojaj. 

Our previous managers were guilty of sticking with the poor signings for too long and overlooking our own young players. Then when times got tough they relied on them. 

It's worth remembering that Stewart and Jacobs played a combined total of ten games for Killie.

Their influence on reducing opportunities for the young players was overstated by supporters who were keen to blame AJ for abandoning Kenny's policy on youth development.

On 9/24/2016 at 1:25 PM, fraz65 said:

With the exception of Coulibaly, and possibly one or two of the loan signings, I would suggest that he has largely been proven correct in several areas.

If Clark's signings had been anywhere near good enough we would not have seen so many young players in the team, similar to when AJ signed Stewart, Jacobs and Nicholson.

I would be surprised if his plan two months ago was to have Hawkshaw as a first choice midfielder.

One of the articles main points was that all these players coming in was going to block our own youth players from coming through, that has clearly not been the case.

3 hours ago, thesnowman21 said:

One of the articles main points was that all these players coming in was going to block our own youth players from coming through, that has clearly not been the case.

That's why I said "largely correct in several areas". 

If Clark's signings had been good enough, I think it's fair to say that Frizzell, Taylor and Hawkshaw would have featured less regularly than they have done.

The main reason we're not bottom is due to getting lucky with Coulibaly. 

43 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

That's why I said "largely correct in several areas". 

If Clark's signings had been good enough, I think it's fair to say that Frizzell, Taylor and Hawkshaw would have featured less regularly than they have done.

The main reason we're not bottom is due to getting lucky with Coulibaly. 

So his good signings were lucky?

... But the ones who aren't playing are not good enough?

How's that logic work?

1 hour ago, Bullitt said:

So his good signings were lucky?

... But the ones who aren't playing are not good enough?

How's that logic work?

By the law of averages, if you sign 17 players recommended by agents, one or two will turn out to be good players. 

The logic isn't difficult to comprehend. 

Three league wins since January, a hoofball performance against Thistle and losing six goals at Celtic Park- the major reason that the fans are being more patient with Clark is that the players he has brought in are unknown.

The Hearts rejects could be written off more quickly.

Edited by fraz65

4 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

By the law of averages, if you sign 17 players recommended by agents, one or two will turn out to be good players. 

There's no doubt that some of them haven't been good enough but I don't detect the presence of agents behind many of the transfers.

Without going though them all, most of them can be explained by Clark's contacts and having previously worked with the players.

He's signed 17 players, some for the first team, some for development as he stated many times. 

Kiltie injured along with addison and mcfadzean doesn't help with stability in the team.

I'd hope that at least Coulibaly, jones, addison, burn, hendrie and smith will prove to be good signings. Green looks like he has a bit of talent but not seen much.

You never know, we might be getting paid to take these players rather than paying to take them. 

Willing to give him till at least the next month before judging.