Sturgeon

DrewWylie

12 hours ago, Killie71 said:

The rest of the UK sells a lot more to Scotland than it buys. End of thread.

For clarity, are you suggesting 5mn people in Scotland buy more from English, Welsh & Northern Irish firms (countries with a combined population of around 60mn people) than they buy in total from Scottish companies?

5 hours ago, Pelesboots said:

For clarity, are you suggesting 5mn people in Scotland buy more from English, Welsh & Northern Irish firms (countries with a combined population of around 60mn people) than they buy in total from Scottish companies?

I do not believe anyone mentioned people.  These are trade figures, not wee Jeany running down to Carlisle for a few bags of crisps and a bottle of gin!  Businesses - manufacturing businesses will purchase a large volume of goods from rUK, just as similar business is rUK purchase those from Scotland.  Given that Scotland has a a much more balanced and broad economy which still involves a larger proportion of manufacturing than rUK does, it's not really that startling a fact.

There is also the question as to whether the goods which leave from an English port are included in Scotlands or in rUK's figures as they are in GERS, but that's a lavel of clarity we don't necessarily need at this point.

Tories well up, Labour well down, SNP consistent and as many Yoons as Nats.

Still, it's a bit mad to see the Tories within touching distance of Labour in Hurlford!

No idea how that pans under STV, or whatever system is used.

Under the circumstances I'd say, fair play to the 53 who voted Libertarian.

35 minutes ago, RAG said:

Tories well up, Labour well down, SNP consistent and as many Yoons as Nats.

Still, it's a bit mad to see the Tories within touching distance of Labour in Hurlford!

No idea how that pans under STV, or whatever system is used.

Under the circumstances I'd say, fair play to the 53 who voted Libertarian.

Serriously unless there is an orange lodge in Hurlford, who the fk is voting Tory!  Labour I can understand due to the generational thing of mclean like I've voted labour all ma life an am no fir chaingin malarkey, but Tory FFS.

Theresa May suggests UK health services could be part of US trade deal

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-donald-trump-nhs-us-trade-deal-brexit-torture-a7548156.html

Hot off the press - this could also go in the USA thread.

The NHS in Scotland is a devolved matter.

I'd expect the biggest stooshie to end all stooshies over this, and a couple of % on the Yes Vote as a result.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

Serriously unless there is an orange lodge in Hurlford, who the fk is voting Tory!  Labour I can understand due to the generational thing of mclean like I've voted labour all ma life an am no fir chaingin malarkey, but Tory FFS.

I'm surprised you're surprised. Even in the days of Labour dominance I always felt in casual conversation people expressed far more conservative views than was reflected in their vote. People didn't call themselves Tory or even vote Tory, but their individual views were often very Tory ( particularly on social issues ). 

It's one of the reasons I think an independent Scotland could swing to the right surprisingly quickly when push came to shove on tax, social policy. 

I take no pleasure from that. I just think it's a depressing reality.

6 minutes ago, RAG said:

Theresa May suggests UK health services could be part of US trade deal

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-donald-trump-nhs-us-trade-deal-brexit-torture-a7548156.html

Hot off the press - this could also go in the USA thread.

The NHS in Scotland is a devolved matter.

I'd expect the biggest stooshie to end all stooshies over this, and a couple of % on the Yes Vote as a result.

Not good. A sizeable portion of the Tory Party don't really believe in the NHS. It's just not politically feasible for them to admit it.

42 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

It's one of the reasons I think an independent Scotland could swing to the right surprisingly quickly when push came to shove on tax, social policy. 

I take no pleasure from that. I just think it's a depressing reality.

I don't think it's to do with right or left.

People in Scotland are more conservative with a small c than in England.

Long tradition of Calvinism, Temperance, is a different conservatism to the traditional UK Tory.

Traditionally, Scotland's never been a libertarian nation, except in maybe in thought, enlightenment.

39 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Not good. A sizeable portion of the Tory Party don't really believe in the NHS. It's just not politically feasible for them to admit it.

IF you watched QT, the BBC are putting it out to the public, trying to get pay for access and some sort of charging introduced.

A lot of Trumps campaign was about repealing Obamacare, so is obvious the NHS is in this trade deal as THE prize.

It's the only thing the UK really has of worth to the USA, being one of the most effective £ for £ healthcare systems in the world.

As the NHS is devolved to Scotland, this will kick off big time up here.

You might even find yourself agreeing with Sturgeon for once!

Edited by RAG

American Healthcare companies have been eyeing up overseas markets for a few years now as their own internal market has stagnated into a kind of trench warfare with the only new sales available being steals from other companies. The obvious move for expansion for them is new territory. Europe is the most appealing as it has the highest expectation for healthcare provision. Mainland Europe already has a good few healthcare companies supplying national requirements so not really easy gains to be had there.

Leaving the UK.

If you are into the NHS, I'd be afraid. Of course, the USA will do a trade deal with the UK when it leaves Europe...

On 27 January 2017 at 4:59 PM, Beaker71 said:

Probably the few that aren't on benefits, aren't employed by the state or own their house . That's who it will be . 

29 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

No ,no old thing . Not Scots . Just Hurlford .

Small towns in East Ayrshire can (controversially) be judged, by whether or not you can get a pint of Peroni (or similar) on tap.

Sad but true.

Just up the road from Hurlford, it's £3.80 a pint in the Golden Lion in Galston - same price as a Tenants up town.

Edited by RAG