Do You Remember... Ian Durrant

Michael

Durrant was the best player I have ever seen in the stripes.  A player capped more times when with us than he was with Rangers, someone who ran international games for Scotland, not just SPL games for us.

He showed the doubters just how wrong they were to abandon him to the stiffs.  Also remember being more excited about Fat Sally than him, how wrong could I have been.

Only Losa comes close to his ability in the stripes.

Was it a European game where the East Stand was in stitches with Durrant "demanding" the ball from Alex Burke?

Burkey had the ball on the touchline, and had Durrant on the inside, shouting continually Geezit! Geezit! which ended up becoming Geezit ya wee c*nt!

He apologized to the wee man soon afterIIRC

37 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

he wasn't fit and should not have started, was a big call to play him, sadly it didn't work.

He may not have been fit but for 40 minutes he ran the show, on one leg, and celtic kicked him out the game.  Mjalby kicked cocard out, then a combination of him and Larsson I think did for Durrant.  Dreadful lack of support and protection from the referee that day and Larsson beat us 3-0 in the second half.

3 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

He was a very good player for us and had some purple patches during which he had (especially) Gary Holt doing the donkey work beside him and he really came into his own in that spell and bossed games - including those two horsings of the Pars up at their place and the famous 3-0 rout of Rangers RIP at Greyskull.

I think there is slight hint of rose-tinted specs at play because I also saw several games where all he did was spray "million dollar" passes about that didn't come off and got intercepted to put us on the back foot.

For me in terms of players in the same style I would put him behind both Tommy Burns (hardly ever gave the ball away) and Eremeno (first time) in terms of his impact but he was a key component in the only Killie side I can remember where you genuinely expected us to beat whatever was put in front of us (because we were actually bloody good). 

Yes I'd agree with that as well. Fantastic talent. Oh to have him in our team just now.

10 goals lost in 15 games... this season you'd be hard pressed to find three games we hadn't lost 10 goals in.

What a great side!!

Marshall was fantastic. Distribution and talking was best I can remember from Killie keeper.

Gus, did we ever replace him??

Baker, unspectacular but reliable.

McGowan and either Freddie or Monty... our current defence couldn't lace their boots!

A midfield of Holt, Durrant, Mavis and Mitchell... wonderful work ethic!

Jerome, I loved, but he was dreadful at finishing... then again with Paul Wright in the side he didn't need to be a finisher.

Wonderful side... I wonder what the score would be if that side took on this seasons side?

Durrant and Holt totally bossed the first half of the 2001 cup final. Pity he had to go off because we collapsed soon after.

Durrant was such an elegant player, a joy to watch and despite his obvious injury limitations, he gave his all to the jersey during his time. I'd put him behind Burns and on a par with Eremenko first time round.

Edited by funky monkey

12 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Likewise. Class act. 

Great times. 

I'll third that opinion. Skora not far behind, but in terms of impact and consistency Durrant is top dog.

If we had someone of anything like his ilk in the middle of the park for us just now, dare I say we wouldn't be near the position that we're in. That's even with less quality round about him. 

He hadn't played in months but still dominated Celtic in the middle of the park...and that was a Celtic team that was decent at European level. I assume it was known there was no way back from his injury anyway so deemed a risk worth taking. 

His ball detention and ability to control the flow of the game when we needed to up the tempo or slow the game down was second to none in Scotland at the time.