Chris Johnston

King

Always had ability, he's just doesn't make an impact often enough. Hopefully under the new manager it suits him better because he could be a very good player. He had a brief spell under AJ where he went on a bit of a scoring run and I thought at that point we had a real gem on our hands. He's never reached that level since.

6 minutes ago, virtuocity said:

Seems like a good guy and always like watching wingers play.  Unfortunately, I don't think he's Premiership quality.

I completely agreed with Skydog (and later Lee Clark) who said weeks ago that our future signings should come from the English lower leagues.  They offer far less risk.

If that's the "Killie way" we'd be as well shutting up shop now. There's already a huge disconnect between town and club, I can only see that policy making things worse. Why watch players from the English lower leagues when you can stay in the house and watch premiership players? For a community club, the fact you're part of the community should be your major selling point. 

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

If that's the "Killie way" we'd be as well shutting up shop now. There's already a huge disconnect between town and club, I can only see that policy making things worse. Why watch players from the English lower leagues when you can stay in the house and watch premiership players? For a community club, the fact you're part of the community should be your major selling point. 

So what's wrong with inviting new people into the community? 

I'm a Killie Fan and want to see a team I enjoy watching regardless of where the players come from.

If they are  local lads it's a bonus but I can live with it if they aren't. 

Your comment is similar to those that berate Scotland players just because they weren't born there.

Edited by stewarty66

I fear he's just too small. To be a roaring success with his stature you need to have exceptional talent. He's got a trick in him and a goal as well. He isn't the fastest though and doesn't have much of a physical presence.

Im all for signing players from the lower leagues in England. It would be naive to only focus on that route though. There are players in Scotland and other countries who can do a job for us. No way would I be looking to pass up on a Greg Stewart, Scott Bain, Andrew Robertson to name a few. Also important we keep the youths coming through. As said above its easier for the support and wider community to connect with someone whose come through the system.

8 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

He's a poor man's Stevie Murray... guys like him and Tope have no use in our current predicament.

We need Ally Mitchell!!

So guys like Tope, who scored two of the goals in the 4-1 win at Thistle that kept us up last season have no use in our current predicament ?

We need everybody in our squad just now, that includes players who may only come on as subs.

9 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

So what's wrong with inviting new people into the community? 

There are a lot of guys playing in the lower leagues in England with more talent and ambition than is available in central Scotland.

Some of them might be open to a move to Ayrshire.

Being English doesn't make you a bad person.

4 hours ago, gdevoy said:

There are a lot of guys playing in the lower leagues in England with more talent and ambition than is available in central Scotland.

Some of them might be open to a move to Ayrshire.

Being English doesn't make you a bad person.

I wasn't aware the lower leagues in England were restricted to English players only. Every day's a school day. 

My objections to this being our primary focus in building a team are twofold. Firstly, as I've already pointed out is the loss of our identity. Secondly, the English  lower league players we can compete to sign financially, are unlikely to significantly improve our team. In fact when I go through the list of great signings brought to the club, I'm struggling to think of many brought in from the English lower leagues who've made a significant impact. Dylan Kerr and Dean Shiels maybe? It's not a marketplace which offers value for money IMO. 

Personally I'm not really fussed about where the players come from, but youth players do have to be given the chance as well. I didn't feel any less passion towards Killie when we had Skora, Eremenko, Dindeleux, Whitworth etc. Just the same passion as with Naismith, Boyd, Hay, Fowler, Cannero and other local lads.

Community Club / Community Spirit is secondary to a winning team.  

Are you suggesting that if we had a starting 11 full of Scottish local boys that we'd generate a bigger crowd, even if we are languishing in the lower divisions?

Our 'model' should involve getting a decent squad of players together- who cares where they come from.  Success breeds larger crowds.  

It will take a manager with an ounce of competency to sign one good player over 2/3 dross ones though.  Who is to say that these players don't stick around for 6/7 years and become fans' favourites?

I would agree that we should continue to fund and support our youth programmes- but if we bring in anyone decent from there, they will be sold.  I doubt they'd stick around due to 'loyalty'- a concept now longer relevant to modern football.

12 minutes ago, virtuocity said:

Manuel Pascali. 

Which English lower league team is it you think we signed Manuel from? There's a world of difference between bringing in quality signings and focusing our attention on English lower leagues as your previous post suggested. 

10 minutes ago, virtuocity said:

Community Club / Community Spirit is secondary to a winning team.  

Are you suggesting that if we had a starting 11 full of Scottish local boys that we'd generate a bigger crowd, even if we are languishing in the lower divisions?

Our 'model' should involve getting a decent squad of players together- who cares where they come from.  Success breeds larger crowds.  

It will take a manager with an ounce of competency to sign one good player over 2/3 dross ones though.  Who is to say that these players don't stick around for 6/7 years and become fans' favourites?

I would agree that we should continue to fund and support our youth programmes- but if we bring in anyone decent from there, they will be sold.  I doubt they'd stick around due to 'loyalty'- a concept now longer relevant to modern football.

There's been no evidence to suggest signing English lower league players will lead to a winning team. It's an overheated market and doesn't offer value for money. Even the English lower league teams realise that and bring in their signings from abroad. Scotland being on of their markets. 

I don't think anyone, including the manager, is suggesting that we do all of our recruitment in England. There has to be a mix of youth player promotions and signings based on merit, wherever they're from.

My personal view is that a core of experienced players who have played in England - but who may be Scottish or whatever -  would be advantageous, The divisions are very competitive at both ends and you have to be tough to make your mark. If you take Addison as an example, he was an England U21 internationalist and Derby County YPOTY but has struggled to hold down a place anywhere, maybe due to injuries. I think he will still be effective at our level though once he is fit, at least in the short term.

I don't think where players are signed from has any relevance to the aim of being a community club. Players such as Faubert (who, incidentally was excellent against Celtic) are more likely to capture of the imagination of local kids than someone signed from, say, Cowdenbeath.