Accies (H) thread.

Craigieboy

14 hours ago, KillieBus said:

I can't say the defenders did not play well, but there is something missing with them as a group. Taking today as an example, Accies had too many chances to think otherwise (and Hearts had a few, despite the fact we played really well and deservedly won).

The team as a whole was much better when Smith went off. Great against Hearts but, for me, he does not bring enough to the team and I think he makes the players around him struggle as well.

There remains a great conundrum with Kris Boyd - he is more likely to score a goal than our other strikers but we play better as a team without him.

Boyd is indeed a conundrum. I assume he must possess incriminating photos of each of his managers over the last 3 years, how else can one account for his selection? I'm truly baffled but I guess the folk that pick the team and so on are seeing something I'm not. 

Boyd had been in OK form going into the St Johnstone game he missed. If you take out the Aberdeen and Celtic games where no one played well he enjoyed a reasonable start to the season after a really poor showing in the league cup. I don't recall anyone calling for him to be dropped. If Tyson had played yesterday things might have been different. If they weren't different it'd be Tyson and Clark getting slaughtered because our goalscorer was warming the bench. 

Boyd wasn't great. I don't think he was as bad as some make out but it was nowhere near his best performance. He did do a lot more running than we've seen from him in the past. As has already been said though the quality of service needs to be better. From good positions the final ball into him was poor. The forward passes from midfield and defence lacked quality and whether his fault or others the gaps between team mates were too big. 

I agree Boyd is a conundrum. It's on Clark to sort things. Boyd offers goals but need service. Tyson offers pace and running Boyd doesn't but there is no evidence of individual goal threat yet. There's also the Coulibaly issue. The wee mans a cracker but Hearts game aside anytime I've seen him in the last month or so he's looked like a striker out of position. If we play him in the main striker role the balls to him will have to be better quality than we've offered up so far this season. High hopeful won't cut it.

Boyd should play, every game (as he is still our best finisher and he is still working hard for the team) but I'm just not sure from the start of every game.

Maybe time to start bringing him on against tiring teams, but rather than it being a demotion it should be viewed as trying to get the best out of him.

Some good posts made, point was probably a better result for us as I thought Accies were the better team by a distance. Hope the Hearts match wasn't a one off like the Dundee Utd Friday night game a couple of seasons ago. Frustrating when you see how we can perform, definitely need a creative midfielder for matches like that. 

Didn't think there was that much between the teams ; Hamilton work hard and have pace throughout the side, but they punt a lot of balls, looking for knockdowns and second balls, and seem to depend a lot on wee Crawford to score goals. Any team playing them has to work just as hard and defend properly i.e. keep it simple and clear your lines. Thought we did that and also managed to get forward and threaten mostly through Jones.

Have to say, it's a long time since Kris Boyd was the top striker in the League, and it really shows. Lee Clark still has this idea that Boyd is the highest scoring striker in the League, but it's a few years now since he achieved that status and his record over the past few seasons hasn't been great.

As for Rory M ; there must be somebody else on the staff who could be given a chance in midfield. Rory played well against Hearts, but in too many games he is not quite at the level required and today was another one of those. The boy Frizzell looks promising, but where do find these tiny players ? Hope he sprouts a bit in the next few years.

14 hours ago, BlueKillie said:

Embarrassed by his performance? 2 dodgy corners and one dive and you're embarrassed? If he got the pen and we scored no Killie fan would have cared a bit. It's football.

Aye, embarrassed! The dodgy corners dont bother me too much as that was just poor play.

However his diving/cheating is another matter.

He had the full back on toast from the opening minutes and he was rightly booked for tripping him.

What cannot be acceptable was his blatant attempt to get the same player sent off only minutes later with a laughable tumble.

As I said earlier, if that had been in the box he would definitely have been booked.

He continued to fall over/dive until the ref finally booked him, but that could, and should have been his second.

As I said earlier, there's a decent player in there somewhere but LC needs to get this part of his game sorted.

We've rightly lambasted opposition players for the same thing over the years and just because he's 'one of ours' doesn't make it right!

Rant over. 

I thought the game was pretty dire. We have no creative player who can play a really killer ball and we should be making more of our corners.  Coulibaly seemed lost out wide but was still our best goal threat. Boyd worked hard but didn't get much joy from their defenders, if he is playing we need to get the ball into the box for him. He is looking his age and was off the pace, agree with others that Tyson should have started with Boyd being used as a sub. Hendrie had a terrible game at full-back but the rest of the defence was pretty decent. Jones started well and looked like he was coming onto a game but then drifted out of it. Overall a fairly dull afternoon, a point gained but certainly a missed opportunity to get further away from the bottom. 

surprised at all the negativity on here. thought it was a good game, nothing between the sides for 70 minutes, then in the last 20 we were well on top with the odd Hamilton break away. jones had a great game until the booking which seemed to knock his confidence. boyd didn't deserve all the criticism he's getting, ok he was offside a few times, but he worked hard and with more composed passing from some of his team mates, would have scored a few goals

Just watched the highlights there. I didn't realise the headers first half were as clean. Certainly chances on reflection that Boyd would be expected to do better from. Is the disallowed goal as clear cut as it seemed at the time. The angles not great but it looks tight as the Accies no8 in the LB position has lost his line. 

Coulibaly should certainly be doing better when through on the keeper. It's an easier chance than most of the goals he's scored for us but we haven't seen him take these chances. Everything he's done so far has been top drawer. The few easier chances he's had he hasn't finished.

Im not sure Imries was a penalty. There's contact but it doesn't look enough to push him down. If he gives that I think he'd give Boyds at the other end. Not giving means Boyd had no chance. 

20 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Aye, embarrassed! The dodgy corners dont bother me too much as that was just poor play.

However his diving/cheating is another matter.

He had the full back on toast from the opening minutes and he was rightly booked for tripping him.

What cannot be acceptable was his blatant attempt to get the same player sent off only minutes later with a laughable tumble.

As I said earlier, if that had been in the box he would definitely have been booked.

He continued to fall over/dive until the ref finally booked him, but that could, and should have been his second.

As I said earlier, there's a decent player in there somewhere but LC needs to get this part of his game sorted.

We've rightly lambasted opposition players for the same thing over the years and just because he's 'one of ours' doesn't make it right!

Rant over. 

any coach in the world will tell you if the oppostion right back cant handle your left winger and hes on a yellow card you push the play down the left flank and draw the defender into a situation where he is forced to make the decision, stay on your feet and try and win the ball (which he was struggling with) or go to ground and try his best to win the ball without fouling, if in turn he fouls resulting in a 2nd yellow then thats the way of it, its not about cheating but more targeting the weak areas in the oppositions team, any manager or coach who wouldnt do that is an idiot, Jones did go to ground very easy when he didnt need to which isnt right but 100% we should have been forcing everything through that area and give them a torrid time