Eric Murray - No minutes Silence

killiebythesea

I was surprised that although Killie wore black armbands there was no minutes Silence for the fans to show their respect to him at the recent Celtic game.

I was speaking to a friend who told me that both clubs have to agree to the minutes Silence , but that Celtic had opted not to agree to it.  Apparently they were concerned that " the best fans in the world" couldn't be trusted to observe the silence.  

I don't know if this is true or not but if it is, then it's really sad that we didn't get to show our respects to a Killie legend and a true gentleman because of the behaviour of some of these idiots.

If this was indeed the case, i'd expect the club to confirm it. 

I'd also have hoped to have one tomorrow and the club to give their reasons for it. 

If Celtic did indeed say that, then the club should have made it public. They are probably scared that they will upset Celtic though. Normally if there is a risk of the silence being interupted then there's a minutes applause. 

For us not to have a minutes silence for him is an utter disgrace. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd also have hoped to have one tomorrow and the club to give their reasons for it. 

If Celtic did indeed say that, then the club should have made it public. They are probably scared that they will upset Celtic though. Normally if there is a risk of the silence being interupted then there's a minutes applause. 

Agreed. I think we should be able to decide ourselves whether or not to have a minutes silence/applause without the approval of another club. Disgraceful.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Totally agree.

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

My view at the time was that the Celtic support wouldn't realise - or would choose to ignore - that the minute's silence wasn't related to Remembrance Day, with the unpleasant consequences.

The match on 18 November was the club's only home match around 11 November.

Even if that was the case, are Celtic excused from observing remembrance day if we had a minutes silence? A simple announcement before the minutes silence/applause would clarify the reason for it.

I thought it may have had more to do with the size of the crowds on the evening with many more Celtic than Killie fans, and that the more appropriate time to have it would have been on the first Saturday home match after his passing to give more Killie fans a chance to pay respects. 

Regardless, I hope there's a moment to pause and reflect for Eric tomorrow. It is only right that the fans are given the chance to do so. 

41 minutes ago, skygod said:

My view at the time was that the Celtic support wouldn't realise - or would choose to ignore - that the minute's silence wasn't related to Remembrance Day, with the unpleasant consequences.

The match on 18 November was the club's only home match around 11/ 13 November.

That's up to them if they want to make a complete and utter Noel Hunt of themselves.

9 minutes ago, Minikillie said:

I thought it may have had more to do with the size of the crowds on the evening with many more Celtic than Killie fans, and that the more appropriate time to have it would have been on the first Saturday home match after his passing to give more Killie fans a chance to pay respects. 

Regardless, I hope there's a moment to pause and reflect for Eric tomorrow. It is only right that the fans are given the chance to do so. 

Agreed and belated condolences. 

2 hours ago, skygod said:

The match on 18 November was the club's only home match around 11/ 13 November.

That should be irrelevance, as much as I dislike the political elite of this island, it is ignorance and disrespect on a truly galactic scale not to remain silent in quiet gratitude for those who gave their tomorrow for our today.  That a true Killie great happened to have passed on near to the remembrance date should matter not at all, we should have insisted and if that rancid club refused it should have been plastered all over the front pages of the press, never mind the back.  Pour shame on them if it is true, as they denigrate not only members of their support and club who gave the ultimate sacrifice, but also the memory of a football great.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The clowns in charge at RP these days will have no idea who Eric murray was ffs the guy on the tannoy can barely pronounce our players names these days 

As I said in my original post I don't know for sure I am only passing on what I was told and it's not someone involved with the club(although he has had accurate info about other things that have happened at RP).  

What I would say to Caldow who thinks it's a convenient untruth - why on earth did the club not have a minutes silence if that's not the case, they were obviously aware of Eric's passing and were wearing  black armbands. When was the last time we didn't have a minutes silence for a former player of his stature?

There would certainly need to be some reason why the club did not mark the passing of Eric Murray in the appropriate way at the first opportunity. 

I suspect the rumour is true - their are plenty examples from the recent past that show Celtic have been unable to control them or get them to see reason. 

If the GB see themselves as a political pressure group then there are many other ways to express their views than inside a football stadium. 

That said - we could sure do with some of their logistical abilities as some of the protests that they deliver are very organised and delivered. 

Because they forgot. Or they don't care enough. About anything. Because they are c**ts. Who's in charge of this sort of thing? Probably because whoever is in charge is a c**t. Who doesn't care.

but let's blame Celtic because we know they are c**ts. Celtic are c**ts.

a convenient untruth.

They didn't forget, because the players wore black armbands.

I don't think the visiting club will have the right of veto either.

As I said above, I think the club suspected that the Celtic support would ruin it in the belief that it was Remembrance related. 

Whether that would have reflected badly on the Celtic fans is neither here not there - it's more important that Eric Murray is remembered with proper respect, as he will be tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, skygod said:

They didn't forget, because the players wore black armbands.

I don't think the visiting club will have the right of veto either.

As I said above, I think the club suspected that the Celtic support would ruin it in the belief that it was Remembrance related. 

Whether that would have reflected badly on the Celtic fans is neither here not there - it's more important that Eric Murray is remembered with proper respect, as he will be tomorrow. 

I think to be lumped in with an already mandatory minutes silence for the crash victims isn't respectful at all. He should have his own minute separately, either at half time or another game in my opinion.

Also - Eric passed nearly a month ago, the club has had plenty of time to announce a minutes silence but hasn't. One month down the line and he is conveniently added to a minutes silence which has been implemented by FIFA. It stinks.

Edited by Calummoore86

On 02/12/2016 at 8:50 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Totally agree.

I may be totally wrong here, but did Eric's son Steven play for Celtic?