US Politics Thread

Sandman396

20 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

As this is a US Politics thread I really do need to ask the following;

What did the Obamas' 8 year stint bring to the UK, or Scotland to be precise? All I have seen is countless Facebook posts from Scottish people, crying onto their drink that their term as Presidents' is over, I simply don't see it tbh. Even in Skygod's post he states "digging up all the dirt they can so we can get impeachment proceedings underway sooner rather than later."

Similar I guess, but why do we think that Scotland has the right to belittle the people of the Worlds' largest economy in the voting decision they have made? Is it down to the fact they believe that the previous incumbent made a complete arse of it? is it because the Democrats selected someone who has been entrenched in criminal activities for as long as she has been in politics?

I genuinely don't know, it seems unbelievable that US Politics descended into panto farce, but it did, so it should be no surprise that Trump won through, lets face it the whole Western world is flirting with The Right just now, UK Brexit, US Trump are just for starter i fear, if Le Pen wins in France then it really will be the start of something unseen in generations, and will be radical, i'll say that.

My goodness how parochial!

4 hours ago, diamond_geezer said:

Facebook is much more sinister than Trump. 

Oh aye it is because facebook is a mysoginist with its hand on the button, can repeal healthcare for millions of ordinary people, incites racial hatred and is putting morons who refuse to believe global warming exists to line their own pockets in charge of the environment.  

Edited by Beaker71

23 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Oh aye it is because facebook is a mysoginist with its hand on the button, can repeal healthcare for millions of ordinary people, incites racial hatred and is putting morons who refuse to believe global warming exists to line their own pockets in charge of the environment.  

Hear, hear Bob.

I see wee Michael Gove says that Trump is quite fond of Britain, given that his Mammy was a Scot.

As if that is reason enough to welcome him. Too bad for the Eastern Europeans he will probably abandon to Putin and the third world countries affected by global warming - as long as Britain gets a good deal that's all that matters.

w****r!

14 hours ago, skygod said:

I see wee Michael Gove says that Trump is quite fond of Britain, given that his Mammy was a Scot.

As if that is reason enough to welcome him. Too bad for the Eastern Europeans he will probably abandon to Putin and the third world countries affected by global warming - as long as Britain gets a good deal that's all that matters.

w****r!

Gove is an absolute shoe in to be named in the next YewTree type scandal.

Politics never sleeps... just days before he leaves office, Obama has commuted the sentences of over 200 prisoners, inc. Chelsea Manning (formerly Bradley), the US army whistleblower who leaked classified documents to Wikileaks.

Is this the last decent thing a US President will do for at least 4 years?

52 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Politics never sleeps... just days before he leaves office, Obama has commuted the sentences of over 200 prisoners, inc. Chelsea Manning (formerly Bradley), the US army whistleblower who leaked classified documents to Wikileaks.

Is this the last decent thing a US President will do for at least 4 years?

A decent act of clemency. Amnesty International were calling for Snowdon to be pardoned as well but that hasn't happened.

Manning was clearly a vulnerable, troubled individual and it's hard to see how the wider society would have benefited from his imprisonment.

The Assange/ Snowden situation is more sinister. It's unclear to what degree they're backed by Russia, rather than being truth-seekers interested in transparency.