US Politics Thread

Sandman396

7 hours ago, fraz65 said:

A decent act of clemency. Amnesty International were calling for Snowdon to be pardoned as well but that hasn't happened.

Manning was clearly a vulnerable, troubled individual and it's hard to see how the wider society would have benefited from his imprisonment.

The Assange/ Snowden situation is more sinister. It's unclear to what degree they're backed by Russia, rather than being truth-seekers interested in transparency.

It's fairly simple that one.

Obama said Manning had stood trial and been convicted, whereas the other two haven't gone before court or been convicted, so there's nothing to "pardon".

Obama has apparently done as many of those executive "pardons" as the last 12 presidents combined, 1200 in total.

12 hours ago, RAG said:

It's fairly simple that one.

Obama said Manning had stood trial and been convicted, whereas the other two haven't gone before court or been convicted, so there's nothing to "pardon".

Obama has apparently done as many of those executive "pardons" as the last 12 presidents combined, 1200 in total.

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International seem to be convinced that it's within Obama's executive power to drop the charges against Snowden and Assange.

10 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International seem to be convinced that it's within Obama's executive power to drop the charges against Snowden and Assange.

They have their own agenda.

Bottom line is only Manning is a convicted felon.

Snowdon was more serious, as he went to the Russians.

And (at present) Assange is wanted in Sweden for rape, not in the USA for any of the wikileaks stuff.

10 hours ago, RAG said:

They have their own agenda.

Bottom line is only Manning is a convicted felon.

Snowdon was more serious, as he went to the Russians.

And (at present) Assange is wanted in Sweden for rape, not in the USA for any of the wikileaks stuff.

There are numerous examples of US presidents issuing pardons to those charged but not convicted, Bill Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich being one example.

Your point regarding Assange is a good one. To be honest, I've lost track of his situation.

He stated earlier this week that he would turn himself in if Manning was released but as you point out, at present he is only wanted by Sweden.

He'd certainly go up in my estimations if he did now travel to Sweden to face questioning. 

There's nothing like a conciliatory, healing, unifying speech to show the wisdom and dignity of a new leader.

And that was nothing like a conciliatory, healing, unifying speech.

At least he's consistent and true to his beliefs.

Despicable! 

Edited by skygod

17 minutes ago, skygod said:

There's nothing like a conciliatory, healing, unifying speech to show the wisdom and dignity of a new leader.

And that was nothing like a conciliatory, healing, unifying speech.

At least he's consistent and true to his beliefs.

Despicable! 

Back To the Future 2  was bang on then!

I watched Trumps speech at the CIA.

His foreign policy was basically, beat the hell out of ISIS, restore the bust of Churchill in the White House and meet Theresa May next week.

I reckon Farage has gone over, told Trump (Who's half UK/Scottish) the UK is being bullied by the EU - which Trump described as a "vehicle for Germany" this week.

Like in the 1940s, the US will back up the UK against the EU/Germany but on their own terms.

All a bit of history repeating really.

In 2017 the affordable healthcare / Obama-care act is a big thing for Trump to repeal and NHS staff earn less than healthcare professionals in America.

Is obvious what happens next..

Agriculture, GM crops and mad chickens without beaks could be the least of our woes!

Edited by RAG

His "speech" was another affront. The main thrust was "Poor me, media are evil, they lied about the number of people at the inauguration, America needs to win more wars...."

He is an utter f**king clown. Unfortunately, because of our little local difficulty, we will rush into doing deals with them, probably on unfavourable terms. We would be better looking at getting closer to somewhere like China because the USA economy is going to tank due his isolationist policies.

If, as he claimed (although he is a pathological liar), he cancelled six or seven candidates' interviews because he had decided on Mike Pompeo as Director of the CIA, he is a fool. You wouldn't do that in interviewing for an office junior. 

Edited by skygod

Please remember folks, despite being portrayed as an eejit by the meeja, this guy has a democratic mandate in the U.S.

Like leaving the EU, it might be lunacy but it is democracy in action.

Plato's Republic lists Democracy as second bottom only better than dictatorship. I think he got that right.

10 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Please remember folks, despite being portrayed as an eejit by the meeja, this guy has a democratic mandate in the U.S.

It doesn't take the media to portray him as an eejit - he does that himself!

I wonder what difference it would have made if Sanders-supporting abstainers had voted for Clinton.

Edited by skygod

Trump at the CIA: "I turn on one of the networks, and they show an empty field. I'm like, wait a minute. I made a speech. I looked out, the field was, it looked like a million, million and a half people.”

Trump's press secretary stated, “This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration -- period,” The press corp were not allowed to question him afterwards.

These are obvious lies through any rational assessment but the more incontrovertible the evidence becomes, the louder the perpetrators of the con will scream for silence... Fake news... Fake news!

The groundwork is being laid for the months ahead, creating a mistrust of the Western free press, described by Trump as "the most dishonest people on Earth". Really??? If the White House can lie about something so obviously false and petty, and people believe it, they'll get away with lying about anything!

4 hours ago, Scooter said:

Trump at the CIA: "I turn on one of the networks, and they show an empty field. I'm like, wait a minute. I made a speech. I looked out, the field was, it looked like a million, million and a half people.”

Trump's press secretary stated, “This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration -- period,” The press corp were not allowed to question him afterwards.

These are obvious lies through any rational assessment but the more incontrovertible the evidence becomes, the louder the perpetrators of the con will scream for silence... Fake news... Fake news!

The groundwork is being laid for the months ahead, creating a mistrust of the Western free press, described by Trump as "the most dishonest people on Earth". Really??? If the White House can lie about something so obviously false and petty, and people believe it, they'll get away with lying about anything!

Yep watched the thing live, and half way back to the monument was empty.  Today we get social media and other information outkets trying ri say that the main media took all their pictures early and are dishonestly reporting the completely full event!

Worthy of north korea at its most ridiculous.