Jags Thread 18-3-17

Allan

Very lucky point today and 3 last week we have been on the end of some muggings this season ourselves so Im not going to lose any sleep over it. If the Jags fans are away home feeling like I did after the Aberdeen game a few weeks ago or the ICT game at RP when they robbed a draw get it into them I say

Get a grip people! Yes we struggled second half but we got a point in the end! First half we were very good. Thistle are also a very decent team.

I think we have improved in creating chances much more under McCulloch. Give the guy a chance. This is night and day from the dross Locke and Johnston served up. Although we were on the rack a bit second half they didnt really have many shots to be saved.

Not sure if McCulloch is the man yet but we could be doing a hell of a lot worse. If someone said we'd be 8 points clear of the bottom and in the hunt for top six at the beginning of the season i'd have taken that. 

Peoplr forget where we have been and we are in a decent position. If we stay up this year it is a successful season. 7 points from 5 games isn't too bad! We only startef to lump balls up when we were under the cosh!

Edited by kfc_superteam

First things first- personally, I think Partick Thistle are a right good football team. I could watch Dumbuya, Barton, Lawless and Edwards play football all day long. We were good for the first half hour but the way the first half ended, I had a bad feeling about things. You could see their goal coming and I have to be honest, I didn't see us coming back. But we did, and the way other results went it turned into a good point for us. 

Don't think we were lucky at all to get a point.

1st half was all Killie (with the exception of a great 30yd strike) and we were unlucky not to go in at half time a goal or two up.

Thistle were dominant in the 2nd half until they scored, then we came back into it.

Draw was a fair result.

Whilst in the short time he has done well to keep the team organised and eek out some vital points am still  struggling to see the new "team identity" McCulloch made mention of a few weeks back....

apart from a couple of small tweaks there is not too much difference from the style of football in those last couple of months under LC.....the team is fit, battles well for each other, keeps going to end of games and has ability to snatch a goal out of nothing at times....and.helped by some better loan signings in January 

but at home we are still persevering with playing a central striker out wide , still lacking real creativity if Dicker struggles, the over use of the long ball when under pressure , midfield which struggles when opposition is fluid and uses the ball better......

The current set up of the team has won us some vital away wins recently which hopefully will keep us safe....which is the main part of McCullochs remit in this short period 

.but whoever the Manager is next season do hope we see a different kind of approach and style especially at home

Because it was pretty much this:

PA: so Garry Hay, what was the celebration like in the stadium after the game?
Hooky: Well it was tinged with sadness once we knew what happened with Liam's father.
PA: (silence) Ladies and Gentlemen, Garry Hay. (Starts halftime draw)

Just got back to Harrogate from the match. Agree that after a good first half we were a bit lucky in the end due to goalkeeping howler.

Correct changes were made but just 15 minutes too late. I know that they eventually scored after Wilson came on but if he'd had a little time to settle maybe they wouldn't have?

Certainly after that they did nothing. Umerah looked lively too when he came on and won a couple of good flick ons. Don't know why late goal was chalked off but Thistle were definitely panicking at the end.

So although we could have won we could easily have lost. A bit more organisation and the best use of what we've got and we'll be fine but not a done deal yet.

Then? Another rebuild in the summer and hopefully the right appointment.

3 hours ago, Tom061087 said:

We were easily the better team for the first 35-40 mins and then struggled for the rest of the game. Dicker didn't look to turn up for the second half, but to be fair he was popping up all across the park which perhaps suggests that it was having to cover for the rest of the midfield more than anything else.

i agree there was very little sign of the manager being able to change the game, we just seemed to plod on.

the goal was lucky in that the keeper had a howler, but you have to get the ball up the park and take a shot for that to happen.

Partick hit the woodwork twice and will feel hard done by. But lets not forget they are a good side going well and were big favourites for most. Plenty disappointing aspects from our side but to come away with a 1 all draw is ok.

Longstaff disappeared in the second half for the second home game in a row and after McCulloch's manegerial masterstroke of swapping Sammon and McKenzie Dicker was totally isolated and was left trying to stem the tide in his own. We really have no midfield to speak of. Only Dicker and Ajer don't treat the ball like a hot potato when it comes to them. 

I thought we were fortunate to get a draw, we had the best of the first 25 minutes once the game settled down after scrappy start, but Thistle were better last 20 of first half. Second half we disappeared, as was said Dicker got overrun in midfield, nothing stuck up front with Sammon and Boyd and we looked shaky at the back as they came through in droves at time and picked their spot with shots. Thankfully the woodwork and bad shooting saved us being 3 down before the equaliser. Will take the point but need to improve cause that was torture to watch

Edited by Mcilroy56

As the second half progressed, very lucky to get the draw. I'm seeing nothing to suggest McCulloch is ready. Corners are better, that's about it.Looks like a rabbit in the headlights when we need a change.

Be interested in what others think, I thought Boyd was a huge weak link. So many chances came at the end when we had pace putting their centre backs under pressure. His lack of mobility basically hands over possession for them to start moves however they like. Sammon for Boyd and an actual winger on would be good.

But that first half shows what the squad are capable of. Really put a good Thistle team to the sword. Trouble is, regardless of the manager, we have absolutely nothing in the middle of the park. It's Dicker and then a gaping back hole of nothingness. Only so much we can do

I think that one point begets the other.  Boyd is too limited when the midfield plays so bad as he has nothing to link up with and lacks the attributes to create something himself.  Today at times we were just lumping the ball up to Boyd and there was a huge gap between him and the midfield.  Longstaff in particular I felt was way off the pace today.  Problem is without Boyd we really lack goalscoring options.  I believe that just one good attacking midfielder could make a huge difference to us.

Edited by SaucyJackPirate
grammar

15 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

As the second half progressed, very lucky to get the draw. I'm seeing nothing to suggest McCulloch is ready. Corners are better, that's about it.Looks like a rabbit in the headlights when we need a change.

Be interested in what others think, I thought Boyd was a huge weak link. So many chances came at the end when we had pace putting their centre backs under pressure. His lack of mobility basically hands over possession for them to start moves however they like. Sammon for Boyd and an actual winger on would be good.

But that first half shows what the squad are capable of. Really put a good Thistle team to the sword. Trouble is, regardless of the manager, we have absolutely nothing in the middle of the park. It's Dicker and then a gaping back hole of nothingness. Only so much we can do

2 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

However much a pillock you think he is have you considered he might be a Killie fan like you and me who is out there trying to do something good for the club he supports ? 

If he was such a fan he would know not to ask such a stupid question, and I don't think he is doing it without monetary reward.