Turntable + Vinyl

kilm53

Just got this in from Loud & Clear in Glasgow

Technics SL-1200 - A Legend Reincarnated 

Thursday 22nd June from 5.30pm

Book your free space now
6f958125-d437-440a-9af5-56074206fcb7.jpg

Few products in the history of hi-fi attract quite the legendary status that Technics SL-1200 turntables do. DJs and analogue purists the world over have spent nearly 40 years raving about these decks and now we have the opportunity to do it all again with Technics’ new SL-1200G and SL-1200GR.

To celebrate the legend reincarnated, we’re hosting a Technics showcase in the shop. We’ll have the two new decks, banging tunes, DJ superstars and probably some beer and nibbles too.

We will be playing two double sets at this event – the SL-1200G (G for Grand) on the main stage in one demo room and the SL-1200GR (the little brother), in another. Taking the stage on the evening will be our dynamic Pirie duo Andrew and Ian,  jet-setter Melting Pot DJ and fountain of knowledge of all things phornographic respectively.

In dem room 1 will be a straight shoot-out between the legendary 1970s SL-1200 deck and the today’s version, SL-1200GR.

In dem room 2 we’ll be showcasing the shiny new SL1200G. Can it justify it’s £3000 price-tag? Only one way to find out.

We’ll have a range of vinyl here to play, but feel free to bring along your own cherished records. And to whet your appetite for the evening, here’s what The Absolute Sound had to say.

Sessions at:
6pm & 7pm

Watch how it is made, link below

http://loud-clear.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6c098f86b18fdc10acc0a6284&id=1ed0ba43ff&e=b062cddbd4

I wanted to get into vinyl and my wife duly bought me an entry level turntable for my birthday last year - one of the fake wooden ones from HMV, Ion, it's very basic was only about £70, but when/if I get more space, I'd love a proper deck with amp and speakers.

Parents had a stack of vinyl in the loft and I dug it out, disappointed to find they liked a lot of utter s**te, but there were a few gems. 

I've been steadily growing my collection but it can be quite overwhelming when you start going into the shops. There's only really 3 or 4 shops up here that sell them, and I wouldn't go into 1 of them now after the woman tried to skin me £45 for a Sally Cinnamon 12" which I could've got online for a third of the price. It takes a bit of getting used to how to shop for them in actual shops. We're all used to just picking up what we want from charts on the wall, or alphabetised sections, or heaven forbid(!?), tapping Buy on iTunes or whatever. But it's a completely different process for Record Shops, its about as far removed form the modern way as you can get, you need time. 

I basically started by getting the stuff I would've wanted, like my staple albums from Oasis, Roses, Smiths, and have steadily branched out and I'm getting braver. I want to have all the Roses 12", but it's tough to find the real originals up here. They're basically snapped up as soon as they come into stock, and often don't even make it onto the racks cos the shops will be holding things back for regulars. 

There's just something immensely satisfying putting a record on and knowing you're going to commit to listening to it all. I got my 13 yr old to stick one on the other day, and he said, "what happens if you want to listen to just the 4th song?". I replied with a pretentious rant that evolved into a dissection of the current state of the music industry! 

A recent belter I picked up was Sunshine on Leith, what an A side that has. Sumptuous. When I was back home in Troon the other week, I got what I think is a first press 7" Voodoo Chile by Jimi, the B side has Hey Joe and Watchtower on it, what a find! £6.99, got it home, and the b*****d hardly plays!?

But if I see one more Joan Armatrading record I'll buy it and snap it!

You just can't beat 'digging in the crates' at record shops, that is something I really miss. When we went to LA last year, I spent about 2 hours at Amoeba Music on Sunset Boulevard just hunting around... was worth it to find an old US release Madness album to add to my collection.

eBay can be a gold mine as well. I've had records shipped from all over... the US, Argentina, Japan, Ukraine & Oz to name a few. Using eBay alerts for something specific is useful if you can't be arsed searching all the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Big Sparra has quite a few Black Friday RSD releases in now. Releases by the Kills & Richard Hell that are bound to rise in value. Neil Young's Harvest Moon & The Doors Absolutely Live on double blue vinyl (remixed by Bruce Botnick ) as well. Only 1000 of the Doors album. Neil Young is 5000 I think & most welcome as the original vinyl was only released in limited quantities in Europe (Yanks spend big money on originals) & fetches crazy prices. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:42 PM, kilm53 said:

I had this on back order a few years ago from SN Vinyl. Cost was £450 which for 18 audiophile discs  isn't too bad. I had heard a couple of the discs & they sound superb. I am a fan of Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray's vinyl mastering & own quite a few of the LP's they have worked on. SN Vinyl emailed me a few months back to say that Analogue Production had produced a limited 2nd run of the box set & they had it back in stock. This is made in the US & unfortunately with Brexit & the pound collapsing the cost is now £689.59. gulp! Unfortunately had to decline. I may pick up some of the regular re-issues.

Edited by harley

On 12/21/2017 at 9:16 AM, kilm53 said:

SN Vinyl, is that Scott Nangle Audio ? .. seen a few bad reports on them about records not turning up etc ..:17:

When you google them you will see a few bad reports mainly because most of his audiophile vinyl is ordered from the US which is why it is so expensive. If the records are not in stock it can take a while for orders to be fulfilled. I have never had a problem with him & have always been able to contact him by phone or email. I have also been up to Ashgill to pick up records usually on the way back from watching Killie at Hamilton or Motherwell. I had a problem with 2 records both MFSL. Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue & Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited. Both were returned & replaced although Highway 61 had to be ordered from the US again. By the way both records which are doubles that play at 45 are exceptional pressings & the best sounding presses of these records that I have ever heard.Kind Of Blue in Stereo has been pressed at slightly the wrong speed for years & was fixed on the MFSL press & the earlier Legacy press.   

Wish this thread had been going a few years ago, when I had my own record shop I offered a 20% discount to any Killie fan on here and got no takers!

Harley our paths must have crossed at some point, I've been doing the rounds at the fairs since my papa took me as a wee guy and been working in record shops for years. Until I got a "real job" obviously!

Word from the "other side" of things with vinyl becoming more popular: the world o the independent label has become considerably more difficult the past few years. I've been releasing records for over a decade now and - along with running a shop - had a go at making a living from it, but it buried me! Record Store Day seemed like a good idea but it completely screws wee labels; pressing plants who previously relied on us to stay afloat give priority to majors releasing pointless crap like David Bowie out-take picture discs, and pretty much all of them want paid in advance now. I've noticed pressing quality gone right down the swanny too, and customer service has gone right out the window cos essentially they don't need our business any more. I sent an LP to press last week: expected arrival is JUNE.Combined with prohibitive postage costs, a growing number of small punk labels like mine have gone lately, and the network of trading has almost entirely broken down. I sound like a right miserable git here, ha!

Upshot: support independents, sack buying stuff off Amazon, avoid the RSD guff, and listen to Roky Erickson!

15 hours ago, aumgn said:

Word from the "other side" of things with vinyl becoming more popular: the world o the independent label has become considerably more difficult the past few years. I've been releasing records for over a decade now and - along with running a shop - had a go at making a living from it, but it buried me! Record Store Day seemed like a good idea but it completely screws wee labels; pressing plants who previously relied on us to stay afloat give priority to majors releasing pointless crap like David Bowie out-take picture discs, and pretty much all of them want paid in advance now. I've noticed pressing quality gone right down the swanny too, and customer service has gone right out the window cos essentially they don't need our business any more. I sent an LP to press last week: expected arrival is JUNE.Combined with prohibitive postage costs, a growing number of small punk labels like mine have gone lately, and the network of trading has almost entirely broken down. I sound like a right miserable git here, ha!

Upshot: support independents, sack buying stuff off Amazon, avoid the RSD guff, and listen to Roky Erickson!

I buy records from Steven Rutter who was one half of the British Techno/Electronica duo B12. He stated the exact same thing that you mentioned above. He has his own small record label Firescope & his releases keep getting shunted to the back of the queue by the pressing plants. Couple of his posts are below.

FireScope Records Cheers all right now from delivery of cut lacquers we are running 16 weeks manufacturing time !

FS009 - Steven Rutter - From Me To You - should leave MPO end of this month ( don’t hold your breath )

FS010 - Darren Nye - Emotional Intelligence - test pressings signed of over a week ago estimated time for dispatch of finished copies 9/2/2018

Vinyl ? Is there any point anymore ? Well I think there is ; but boy it’s becoming impossible

The FireScope release scheduled slipped by about two months due to pressing plant overload ; it’s so sad how things are in the industry these days ; even pressing plants schedule based on who has the most money while small people get swept aside ; music industry all about who has the most money seemingly in every area.
With luck on my side I’ll still get to you before 2018

FS009 - Steven Rutter - From Me To You 
FS010 - Darren Nye - Emotional Intelligence

Xxx

• 1 month later...