Fan question, from a fan. #fan

virtuocity

6 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

See if my phone is connected to my car stereo via the USB and am using Spotify, if I then go onto the the forum page it pauses the music i am playing I have an iPhone 

*disclaimer I never do all of this combined while driving 

We've set up the site so that the only song that will play while browsing is Paper Roses.

On 18/05/2017 at 9:33 AM, virtuocity said:

I run a Macbook Pro (3 years old now and a great piece of kit).  Anyone experience their laptop fan kicking in when navigating this site?  It's only this website (or when using chunky applications like iMovie) that the fan starts going ten to the dozen.  

1. Use it on a desk/ flat surface - not a pillow!

2. How much RAM you got in it? If its not the newer soldered in MacBooks, get more RAM in it.  In Sierra you need 8GB if you're using any applications.

If it hasn't got enough free RAM, its swapping contents of RAM to HD space to free up RAM space - probably more likely in iMovie.

3. Beyond that, the fan itself could be full of gunk - easily cleaned.

4. Last case, is the thermal paste used on processor and graphics chips has a lifespan of 6-7 years, if thats past its best, theres phsyical contact between heatsink and processor or graphics chip, then the fan kicks in all the time, computer overheats etc etc.

(Most likely fix: get a bit more RAM and clean the fan)