McCulloch transfer target?

Craigieboy

I think connor can do a job, he is a great athlete and will run all day. 

Even if he doesn't beat his man or score goals in general he gives the opposition defenders a pretty torid time

As connor is Irish /EU ( see earlier post) he is actually more likely to sign for us for the next 2 seasons as his options else where will diminish

42 minutes ago, piffer said:

Equaliser vs Partick with a huge amount of assistance from the keeper.

Second and decisive goal away to St Johnstone. 

First in a 2-1 win at St Johnstone. 

I don't think he was unbelievably impressive in this spell but his five goals contributed to 10 very important points in the second half of the season.

I agree with you @piffer, but if you read my original comment, I said post split.

He had the chance to impress, especially during and after Boydies injury, imo, Sammon did very little to encourage LM to consider offering him a return perminently.

I would think there are better players available to sign, be it on the wing or upfront.

Missed that bit sorry. He broke the deadlock against Accies and much as other disagree with the quality of his performance at home to ICT. He wasnt great but he occupied opponents and created space for others. Motherwell game in particular and County I wasn't impressed. 

For me there is probably a space for him in the squad but he's not a player I would be building a team around.

8 minutes ago, PillieKie said:

Charlie Telfer has been released by Dundee Utd, could be worth a look.

According to reports, because he couldn't prove himself at Dundee United, off the back of watching how dire they were in the playoffs against Accies and the fact he only managed 15 games last season.... No thanks.

Lee McCulloch admits Kilmarnock are "behind schedule" as they build for the new season.

McCulloch was appointed permanent manager on a three-year deal, having been interim boss since 19 February. 

"Some players where saying, 'how can we take you seriously when you're not the manager?'" McCulloch told BBC Scotland.

"But now it's confirmed I'll be pushing on to try and get the right players in for the club and the fans."

McCulloch, who says he is "delighted" and "ready for the challenge ahead", took charge of the team after Lee Clark left for Bury, and guided Kilmarnock to eighth place and Premiership safety last season.

He says there is a pressing need to add to his squad, with only around 10 senior players currently on contract at the club. 

"We've got the youngest team in Britain so we need to try and bring in a little bit more experience," McCulloch said. "But along with that, some more young and hungry players.

"Other teams are making signings and getting word out there that they want certain players."

However with three Kilmarnock players involved with the Scotland under 20's side that beat Brazil at the Toulon Tournament, including Greg Taylor who scored the winner, he has plenty of confidence that the young players will deliver for him. 

McCulloch also revealed he spoke to some supporters groups about the prospect of him becoming the manger on a permanent basis, "wanting to make sure they were happy".

"It's important to get backing from supporters, it's important that everyone is together, because we need to try and get into the community to get people back in to the stadium," McCulloch added.

Encouraging more fans through the turnstile is a priority for the new Kilmarnock manager at a club he believes is "a sleeping giant". 

"We've an 18,000 all-seater stadium here and we're averaging 3,000 people a game, so we need to try and get everyone together, start connecting with the community and getting a winning displays on the pitch," McCulloch said.

"I've been here as assistant manager for the last two and a half years, now it's straight into management so it came quicker than what I expected, but it's a challenge that I'm really looking forward to taking on."

Lee McCulloch believes he may need to bring in as many as 10 players after being confirmed as Kilmarnock boss.

The 39-year-old had a successful stint as interim manager and is now looking to bolster his squad.

He said:

We have 10 players in contract so we are going to need to bring in probably 10 players on top of that so that is going to be a challenge in itself.

So I am just trying to draw on all the experience around me, my contacts, to make it a successful transfer window.

I guess now we'll see who Jig fancies having in for next season. I hope his 'behind schedule' line doesn't mean we sign up the first players offered.

After reading a few 'seasons rating' threads on Twitter it is becoming clear why a number of good professionals are being let go. The likes of Dixon, Telfer and Flood are being let go after failing to beat Hamilton over two legs.

Hopefully Jig goes for the measured approach and quality over quantity.

Lee McCulloch vowed the days of cramming Killie’s dressing room with quick-fix loan deals are over as he sets about laying solid foundations for the club to rebuild.

The interim boss ended weeks of uncertainty yesterday by penning a three-year deal to commit himself to the club and quickly set out his plan for the future.

Having seen his predecessor Lee Clark bring in a raft of loan signings from English lower leagues (top two divisions, actually) as part of a mass clear-out this time last year, McCulloch now faces the task of replacing those temporary deals.

But he wants the ones who come in next to be here for the long haul as he and assistant Peter Leven strive to bring stability and continuity to the club.

He said: “The challenge I have is that we currently have 10 – possibly 12 – players under contract to the club. “We have 10 loan signings going back so the hardest part of my job will be replacing them.

“I need to make sure that the players we bring in know this league and know this club. I won’t say anything negative about what’s happened here in the past but I won’t be going down the route of bringing in lots of players on loan.

“There have been conversations with directors Billy Bowie and John Kiltie about how I want to build a team - and that means we can’t rebuild it every single pre-season, which has been the case for too long now.

“I want to bring some continuity to the club so the fans can feel some rapport with the players instead of bringing in people they’ve never heard of and then repeating that cycle every year.

“Obviously, this approach is going to take time to come together. We’ve looked at Aberdeen and St Johnstone and how they’ve done it – you don’t usually see too many coming and going at those clubs each summer.

“That’s why this window is so important – it’s probably the biggest challenge of my career.

“It’s all about bringing in the right players and then hitting the ground running because, if I don’t, I’ll be under pressure from the start.”

McCulloch distanced himself from suggestions that his former Rangers team-mate Kirk Broadfoot could be among the first of those experienced heads he wants at the club, pointing out that he’s still under contract at Rotherham.

But there is no doubt he is looking for experience to help along a squad packed with talented young kids - including young Greg Taylor who scored a stunning goal for Scotland’s Under 20s this to beat Brazil at the Toulon tournament.

McCulloch added: “We have, without doubt, the best pathway from youth team to first team in the country. “We’re the youngest team in Britain – last season we finished with a schoolboy on our bench.

“Innes Cameron couldn’t train with us during the week because he was studying for his exams but he would turn up on a Saturday and still managed to get on the pitch.

“When Scotland beat Brazil we had Greg Taylor, the goalscorer, plus Iain Wilson and Adam Frizzell in the team and another player in the (original) squad, which is more than any other club.

“They are the future for Kilmarnock and they’ve all come through the academy and we have to take pride in that. Hamilton are the only other club doing as much as we are in that department.

“Our first team’s average age last season was 24.4, which made us the 27th youngest team in Europe. Even our loan signings were mostly teenagers.

“But now that I’ve got the job, I think we’ll need a couple of experienced players to help these kids, along with Kris Boyd, Steven Smith, Rory McKenzie and Jamie MacDonald (and Scott Boyd, Gary Dicker etc?).

“There are one or two players whose contracts ended I still want to speak to. I had discussions with Jordan Jones, who did really well for me last season.

“We have a good relationship and it was brilliant to read that he wouldn’t re-sign unless I got the job. He hadn’t been in the team until Peter and myself took charge.

“We gave him encouragement and a little bit of confidence and now he’s in the Northern Ireland squad. In my opinion, he’s still only shown 70 percent of what he’s capable of – he can go a lot further.”

One of McCulloch’s first targets is to improve on the team’s miserable home record and he urged the supporters to help with that turnaround by making Rugby Park a more intimidating place to visit.

He said: “It’s a new dawn for the club, so hopefully everyone in the community will come back to support the team, create an atmosphere on a Saturday that’s intimidating.

“Everyone bangs on about our home form -  it’s been bad for the last few years, the last five years have been the worst in the club’s history.

“It’s easier for away teams to come and play here when there isn’t quite as much of an atmosphere.

“It gives the opposition players a lift and they thrive on playing at this lovely stadium, lovely pitch (WTF?!) without much of an atmosphere. They’re not intimidated at all and I want us all to change that together.”

(Record)

All good stuff (pitch aside) which are the things we would have highlighted - churn in playing staff, too many loan players, excellent youth development, poor home form, lack of atmosphere.

I wonder if he has had discussions with the directors about what they can do to improve attendances and atmosphere. I think I read or heard him say in another interview about the importance of getting local kids to games. 

Anyway, it's good that he's "on message" with the things that we have been saying.

Edited by skygod