General Election MK3

RAG

It's a terrible result in scotland. Yes SNP still have a healthy majority but large swathes of scotland has voted for the Torries and 5 more years of aisterity. If the torries get a goverment with the dup it's a disaster.

The same ones who voted torrie would probably also ensure no won another indy ref.

To me it looks likey we are going to be stuck with another 5 years of austerity, and a hard brexit. The blmae if this happens lies with scotland.

I think they may have been right when theu said we are too wee and stupid.

Fear clearly rules over hope here

1 minute ago, historyman said:

the soon to be departed Mrs May announced the election?

Not according to the official line coming from Downing Street just now

she has been humiliated with that result, how can she possibly continue ?

listening just now on the BBC Scotland and the caller on is raging at Dugdale, reckons she should resign.

12 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

I think it pretty clear, on this forum the active poster would appear to be 90% plus SNP ridiculing any other political belief. Which has never been vindicated in the polls in terms of the percetnage of vote.

Maybe the supporters of the other political parties just dont want to have to put up with the ridicule dished out here?

Maybe they should grow a set.

If the SNP supporters had one ounce of humility, they would have had some sympathy from me, but their arrogance in general is just a complete turn off. I was wrong big time about Corbyn and I'm delighted. Now observe those words " I was wrong ". If the Nats as a whole could utter them more often they would fare better. 

I despise the Tories and always have, but I'm afraid too many years of ridicule from SNP supporters and being taunted with stuff like red Tory ( when the SNP arent even to the left of new labour in practice ) have taken their toll. I therefore cannot help but have a level of schadenfreude when the likes of Salmond, Robertson and Nicolson fall on their sword. 

Try some humility. People will respond.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No need to get ratty, not my fault Teresa f****d it.

there has been nothing ratty about any of my post, you appear to be spoiling for a fight due to your disappointment in losing seats to the tories and lib dems. i would suggest you get over it and listen to the people

i am taking positives from the vote, even though we dont have a majority. i was against brexit, so maybe if we go in to coalition this will soften. I was also of the opinion that indy ref 2 was a bad thing, I think that has gone now too.

40 minutes ago, Killie1984 said:

If the torries get a goverment with the dup it's a disaster....

To me it looks likey we are going to be stuck with another 5 years of austerity, and a hard brexit. The blmae if this happens lies with scotland.

Firstly, a Con/DUP coalition isn't going to be strong and is unlikely to   last 5 years - policy disputes, by-elections, votes of no confidence etc should ensure that. 

Secondly, the DUP is firmly pro-Europe and is highly unlikely to back a hard Brexit. 

2 hours ago, Sandman396 said:

Disappointed in you Z.

Doing a Bob.:2:

The reality is that the SNP vote share is down 13.1% and the Tories vote share is up 13.7%.

Those numbers are too similar to be a coincidence.

With Labour up 2.8% then two possibilities spring initially to mind.

Either the Labour won back over 16% of the SNPs vote share (with the SNP picking up the losses from the other minor parties LD, UKIP, Greens etc) and lost 13.7% to the Tories or the Tories picked up their swing from SNP supporters who voted Leave last year.

I am not sure which is most likely. Neither of them make palatable reading for any of the parties since it shows that voter "loyalty" is right out of the window now in Scotland. 

I think it's pretty clear that a large section of young left wingers in Scotland gave Corbyn a chance (unlike some of the older blairites) to deliver SNP policies to the rUK. At the same time, older Labour supporters went Tory, wooed by the Union before policy rhetoric. 

I'd imagine this is the high water mark for Labour and the Conservatives in Scotland. Both will be emboldened by last nights resuls and won't be telling their supporters to vote for the other in this autumns general election. 

11 minutes ago, skygod said:

Firstly, a Con/DUP coalition isn't going to be strong and is unlikely to   last 5 years - policy disputes, by-elections, votes of no confidence etc should ensure that. 

Secondly, the DUP is firmly pro-Europe and is highly unlikely to back a hard Brexit. 

That's s bit more reassuring. Unsuprisingly I know very little about the dup

35 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

there has been nothing ratty about any of my post, you appear to be spoiling for a fight due to your disappointment in losing seats to the tories and lib dems. i would suggest you get over it and listen to the people

i am taking positives from the vote, even though we dont have a majority. i was against brexit, so maybe if we go in to coalition this will soften. I was also of the opinion that indy ref 2 was a bad thing, I think that has gone now too.

Coalition will be a riot. First hint of back bench rebellion and it'll go tits up.

1 hour ago, historyman said:

No, unfortunately they haven't. The share of vote declined significantly for the SNP and as a result a future referendum on independence is most certainly off the table.

I could understand SNP voters from 2015 moving back to Labour as for once they actually had the balls to put forward a relatively left-wing manifesto (note to the PLP - see what happens when you stop trying to be mini-Tories) but I really cannot fathom where the Tory votes in Scotland have come from. I would never have believed they could return 13 MPs and win some the seats they did - Cumnock for God's sake.

We cannot pretend that the Scottish people support the idea of independence at this point in time- now Nicola needs to drop indyref2 as quietly as possible in order to save as much face as possible and rethink her strategy. I have no idea what that will be as before last night my advice to her would have been that she had allowed Labour to come back as a left of centre option in Scotland and that is where she would lose votes but in reality the surge has undoubtedly been for the Tories.

I disagree to an extent. There's no doubt young politically engaged left wingers have given Corbyn one last chance to fix the union. However the Tory "surge" has come from the ultra-unionist section of Labours support. However both Labour and the Conservatives in Scotland fought this election on a single issue. They were rejected in a vast majority of constituencies. Indy ref2 is very much on the table. Especially with another general election and the brexit farce looming large on the horizon. 

36 minutes ago, skygod said:

"Firmly pro-Europe" is a gross exaggeration.

They were, on balance, pro-Leave in the referendum but are opposed to a hard Brexit. 

They should still be a moderating influence on Tory negotiating policy.

25 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I disagree to an extent. There's no doubt young politically engaged left wingers have given Corbyn one last chance to fix the union. However the Tory "surge" has come from the ultra-unionist section of Labours support. However both Labour and the Conservatives in Scotland fought this election on a single issue. They were rejected in a vast majority of constituencies. Indy ref2 is very much on the table. Especially with another general election and the brexit farce looming large on the horizon. 

Not saying I agree or disagree with your interpretation about IndyRef2 but it does make me chuckle that the result can be viewed by either side of the Yes/No question as a victory for their way of thinking.

Personally with the drop in seats and the drop in vote share both in double digits I think it would be a brave SNP politician who didn't try and walk back expectations for their core support on the timescales for IR2.

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

Paul Nuttall spouting off about UKIP being "the guard-dogs of Brexit negotiations"!

How many hundred deposits did they lose?!

Actually, he's standing down. 

Re-enter Farage? 

If this election gets rid of Nuttall and May it's not been a bad result

whos next? Boris and Nigel?

May has little choice but to stay on for now. The last thing anyone needs or wants is a leadership contest at the moment. She'll carry on through a highly moderated (by all parties) soft Brexit then be dumped in time to give her successor a run at the next election with Con and DUP MPs doing all they can to see out the 5 years. At that point Corbyn's chance will have gone (73 at the start, 78 at the end of next elected parliament) and it will be interesting to see how much of this bounce was down to him personally. Labour will have to accept that although last night was a success of sorts, they still failed to get within 50 seats of a majority even though the offered sweeties for just about everyone who might vote for them and were up against the worst run election campaign I can remember. Interesting times!! The whole minority governemnt offer from Corbyn and McDonnell is because they know this is their only shot at it.

So after an entire election warning of the Corbyn/SNP "coalition of chaos" the Tories are now in coalition with the DUP!

Politics - you couldn't make it up.

What connects Brexit, the DUP, dark money and a Saudi prince?

The story of a massive donation to the DUP is like a John le Carré novel – but voters need facts, not fiction 

I think that's the most disappointing thing for Labour - they couldn't organise themselves to beat a terrible opposition leader who literally didn't turn up.

Labour forming a coalition of god knows how many parties is surely way off. Tories to do what they need to do to hold on, see through Brexit and leave us all f**ked.

Well I never, the Tories the 2nd biggest party in Scotland. Well I suppose it makes sense, they are the Conservative and Unionist party and Wee Nicola let them play their joker with the call for indyref2. The thing that I find bizzare from the point of view of simple logic is people in Scotland, a part of Europe where our biggest export is poverty, vote for a party with a manifesto promising extra bumper poverty for the poor. True independence can deliver on that score but the Tories have a real reputation for delivery here. Oh well, I'm guessing the SNP will now have to accept that fundamentally they just don't have enough popular support to push through independence, even with all the arm twisting they can muster. They either accept that for the present or it's electoral obscurity.

Well, well, whatever happened to Theresa's landslide?  Apparently she is going to carry on, a coalition of chaos now seems much less offensive. The thing is, she needed the landslide to govern during Brexit because her backbenchers are totally off the reservation. Otherwise why would any politician risk an unnecessary election. So if the situation was unmanageable before, how does she propose to manage it now? As for the proposition that without the SNP threat of indyref2, the Tories would not be the largest party so it's all wee Nicola's fault, I would say that Theresa would never have gone for an election until wee Nicola went for indyref2. The extra Tories in Scotland it would give her was all part of her calculation. She just never expected her own campaign would lose her so many seats in Engerland and Wales.

As for Boris for PM, he may have the support form within his party but imagining letting him lead Brexit is like giving somebody hobnail boots to walk over eggshells.