Scout??

Killieboykfc

1 hour ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

For some reason I kind of trust Killie_Damo's opinion as he seems 'in the know' on that side of the game.

Steve Marsella's record seems a bit hit and miss, brought in some cracking players to ICT and appears to have a lot of contacts, as well as willing to put the hours in, although the Hibs fans opinion is less than complimentary. At the end of the day it's better than having no scouts, it will ultimately be Lee McCullochs decision on what players we sign but if the scout is able to broaden his horizons and give him more options then it can only be a good thing.

Likewise.

I told you last night about my reservations based on texts I got after I asked somebody who's in the game and knows him.

"He's not a scout". He goes to games to watch players, that's what a scout is. We haven't had a proper scout probably since Jefferies era. Lee McCulloch was going to be working on his own, he's now working alongside someone who has had a level of success at previous clubs. McCulloch will still have the final say on who signs and who doesn't. He was working under Neil Lennon at Bolton not terribly long ago so is obviously quite well regarded. He deserves a chance, shooting him down before he's even appointed is ridiculous.

14 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

He also discovered Dominique Malonga, James Vincent, Dean Brill & Marley Watkins.... Butcher took him to ICT then Hibs before Stubbs sacked him... If he signs up, the Hotel better be prepared as he has been known to eat 4 dinners in one sitting o.O lol

Not sure he would've discovered Malonga if Stubbs sacked him. 

20 minutes ago, Fletch said:

He deserves a chance, shooting him down before he's even appointed is ridiculous.

Who's shooting him down?

You only want to hear positive things?

Whatever anybody on here thinks or posts, the club will do what they think best. The same as with Millen.

And then we'll see how he does. Simples!

Edited by skygod

13 hours ago, IMO said:

Is all this new infrastructure down to Lee forward thinking or the fact MJ has gone and now the club can be run properly?

Maybe a little of both but more likely to do with Project Brave as clubs have to meet a certain criteria to get accepted, was mention at the AGM 

59 minutes ago, Killieboykfc said:

I may have misread this report.....but he was still at Hibs when Malonga signed.

www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9460999/spfl-hibernian-have-confirmed-that-coachscout-steve-marsella-has-left

Can't get the link to work but it reads....

"Marsella's departure comes three days after Congo striker Dominique Malonga, 25, signed a two-year contract following his release by Murcia in Spain"

Edited by C4mmy31
Updated info

It finally appears after being in the dark ages we are moving forward as a club, for once the manager looks to have a plan in place much like Kenny Shiels.

I don't know this scout from next but the fact we will have a head of recruitment in place is a starting block.

Lee can talk the talk and as someone mentioned hes been at wigan in the prem and rangers, he was a winner as a player and looks as though that is coming through in his management style. I was wary of the contract delay/ time he took to decide,  but it appears he was looking for plans/ambition of the club before committing which can only be good.

For once in a long time, roll on the new season!!

1 hour ago, Killieboykfc said:

I think Hibs fans' would have been a lot happier if Malonga had remained undiscovered.

We need someone who can find us a Freddie from abroad, a Liam Kelly from the lower leagues in England or a Craig Bryson or a Frazer Wright from the lower leagues up here.
I'm inclined to agree with those who those who say that things have changed in this area. A lot of it now seems to be about agents proactively contacting clubs rather than scouts going out and watching games and identifying talent. That is very hit and miss - if you want a good account of what they do and how it works then read 'The Nowhere Men'. Gives a very accurate picture I think. If you have one success you can dine out on it for years.
McParland still has a good rep and can get jobs but he has not had a hit for years - look at the pish he signed for Sevco last summer.

If this guy can find us two or three decent players this summer who can strengthen the team then he will have justified himself in my opinion and I don't really care how he does it.

Edited by historyman

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, skygod said:

Finally officially confirmed as Head Scout. 

Wonder how many -- if any -- of the summer signings he had any input on -----

with LM saying he does not want wholesale changes each transfer window from this summer ---then in terms of the recruiting part of his job he will need be find quality in the few additions we do wish to make