McInnes Holding Talks With Sunderland

Championship side Sunderland are in talks with Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes over their vacant managerial position, BBC Newcastle reports.

Former Scotland midfielder McInnes guided the Dons to second place in the Scottish Premiership last season.

The 45-year-old has been in charge at Pittodrie since April 2013.

It is not known whether he is the only candidate to replace David Moyes, who resigned following the Black Cats' relegation from the Premier League.

McInnes began his managerial career at St Johnstone in November 2007, leading the Perth side to promotion to the Scottish Premiership in the 2008-09 season.

He left to take charge at Bristol City in October 2011, but was sacked in January 2013 with the club bottom of the Championship.

The former West Brom captain replaced Craig Brown as Aberdeen boss three months later, and has since won 112 of his 199 games in charge.

His contract at Pittodrie runs until 2019, and Aberdeen are reportedly seeking a compensation package worth around £1m for his release.

Don't think it's a bad move for him. Big club who will have a few quid to spend. After relegation he'll have a chance to set things up to his own ideas. 

Rumours Aberdeen going for Alex Neil. Would expect he'd jump at that and try to rebuild his reputation similar to the way McInnes did. If it's not Neil then Tommy Wright would look the obvious choice.

9 minutes ago, piffer said:

Don't think it's a bad move for him. Big club who will have a few quid to spend. After relegation he'll have a chance to set things up to his own ideas. 

Rumours Aberdeen going for Alex Neil. Would expect he'd jump at that and try to rebuild his reputation similar to the way McInnes did. If it's not Neil then Tommy Wright would look the obvious choice.

Don't you see the irony in that slightly though ? 

Alex Neil left Hamilton to go to Norwich. 

They were in the Championship he won promotion through the play offs but after a season they were back down and Neil was out a job.

Now there is talk of him trying to rebuild his reputation at Aberdeen. 

Id imagine McInnes journey down to Sunderland may inevitably take the same path. 

If he gains promotion the expectation rises again.

Sunderland fans have had a time of it, how patient do you think they will be ?  

He has the opportunity at Aberdeen to continue the job he has done and firmly cement them as Scotlands no 2 team. 

There is no doubt he has done that to a point but I think it has to be over a longer period.

With Aberdeen he has European football and a proper chance at silverware.

In the fickle world of the English game you're tomorrows chip paper even quicker than you are up here. 

I would be sorry to see the league lose him. I think he plays an exiting brand of football when his team are playing at their best.

For me Neil jumped to big too quickly. Neil was at a small club with no expectation only hope of survival. His network was possibly restricted. McInnes went south and it didn't work out but it helped develop him as a manager. He came back up to one of our bigger clubs who have greater expectations than any he managed before and he thrived and has progressed as a manager. He's got to be fancying another crack down south now.

The task at Aberdeen now is as big as it has been at any point in McInnes tenure. He's losing quality players at this level. Yes they will free up some cash to rebuild but he won't be buying ready made replacements. The journey has to start again. Replacing a whole core of a team is a huge ask. It's no mistake that teams like ourselves, Well, St Mirren, Hibs, Dundee and United who have all gone through this process recently are regularly bottom six or came off worse and gone down. Not saying that will happen to Aberdeen but in a tight league it's possible.

Edited by piffer

I think its the right time for him to go. Aberdeen have lost  the majority of their best players this summer. And by finishing 2nd in all 3 competitions he would do well to better that next season. Especially since Celtic will strengthen and Rangers can't be as bad as they were last year

Sunderland have just released OShea, Larrson, Anichebe, Buckley, Kirchhoff, Lescott & Pienar as well as selling Pickford, Defoe is away to Bournemouth. 

Granted he will be given money to spend but he will have a major rebuilding job on his hands more then he would at Aberdeen.

Hes been there for 4 years, will know the youth set up, will have the support of the board. 

good luck to him though. I think he is a loss to the league and our game as a whole in Scotland. 

Its a huge scope for him. Dont think hes a name anyone would have expected to be in the mix. Yes hes done a great job with Aberdeen, but the Championship is a whole different ball game in terms of competitiveness and the cut throat treatment of managers. Sunderland need a big change, and im not sure hes the man to do it. 

Arrived at Sunderland 12 months ago via Maccabi Tel Aviv from memory. His first year at Sunderland has just be described by  fan's site as "toe curlingly awful!" Although we live in NE, my two boys have just dumped Sunderland as their team due to the mess they are in, in order to support their second team, which fortunately is KFC!!

Clouds and silver linings :-)

A smart move from McInnes id say and shows his ambitions for Aberdeen,

Aberdeen have announced that manager Derek McInnes and assistant Tony Docherty will stay with the club.

Sunderland had been given permission to speak to the management team as they seek a replacement for David Moyes.

The Dons said on their website they were "pleased to confirm" the duo "have elected to remain at Pittodrie until at least the summer of 2019".

And McInnes, 45, said: "I feel there is so much still to be done here at Aberdeen."

The two clubs agreed compensation, allowing the English side to speak to former Scotland player McInnes, who previously managed in England with Bristol City.

He started his management career at St Johnstone, where he also played, having featured for Greenock Morton, Rangers and West Brom as a midfielder. His two international appearances came in 2002.

McInnes replaced Craig Brown as Dons boss in 2013 and the following year led the club to their first trophy in 19 years by winning the League Cup final against Inverness Caledonian Thistle on penalties. In 2015, the Pittodrie manager and Docherty signed new contracts until 2019.

Aberdeen have finished second to Celtic in the Scottish Premiership three years running and were also runners-up to Brendan Rodgers' side in the Scottish Cup and League Cup in 2016-17.

Since May's 2-1 Scottish Cup final defeat, first-team regulars Ryan Jack, Niall McGinn and Ash Taylor have left the Dons under freedom of contract while winger Jonny Hayes is nearing a move to Celtic.

"We have improved season on season and that is not something I'm planning on changing," said McInnes.

"While we have lost players from last season, they will be replaced by signings of similar quality and our first challenge is to reach the group stages of the Europa League after coming so close in each of the last three seasons," McInnes explained.

"The recent investment in the club from Dave Cormack, who has rejoined the board, now puts us in an even healthier situation financially and that will allow us to be in a position to take the club to the next stage."

And chairman Stewart Milne added: "Given what Derek has achieved here, there is inevitably going to be interest from other clubs and in making the decision to stay, he has demonstrated how much Aberdeen Football Club means to him.

"I make no bones about it, it would have been a massive blow to lose Derek at this time.

"We are in the process of rebuilding a strong squad to ensure we continue our on-field progress, we need to deliver the new training and community facilities and subsequently the new stadium."

Part of me think's he's just shat it... other part of me thinks, why would you go to that clusterf**k of a club?

I think when you see the volume of managers Sunderland have been through it probably was a smart move. However, first reasonably stable offer from a Championship club and he will be off.

Search for manager now called off as they sort out ownership situation:

"Sunderland say they are in talks with potential new owners, and that the search for a new manager will be put on hold while negotiations are ongoing."

"With this backdrop, we have been unable to give the assurances any potential candidate would need regarding the plans a new owner could have for the manager's position."

(BBC)

Might be the main reason McInnes turned it down.