Question time, Kilmarnock, Thursday 02 November

Dieter's Heeder

1 hour ago, RAG said:

I think he's just taking it from Q1 2015, cos there hadn't been an indy referendum in that timeframe.

From memory, Scottish growth was good v UK in lead up to the 2014 referendum, despite the media saying it would cause uncertainty and business "does not like uncertainty".

Sturgeon called indyref2 recently, even if figures are from before the vote, was plenty speculation in media , yet growth increases.

Might be a coincidence. but it might not.

It could be seen as a  promising signal for the future of an independent Scotland, if there was a YES vote.

If even the prospect of an independence referendum and run up to that referendum, on 2 occasions stimulates growth in Scotland above the UK average.

With oil prices recovering (and Brexit)  - its difficult to see how this trend won't continue.

Figures improved by 0.8% in first quarter 2017, and Oil and Gas stabilising, but fear of future damage due to Brexit uncertainty, apparently European staff returning home in some sectors, presumably Hotel and Catering where wages are lower.

Edited by Mcilroy56
Additional comment

9 minutes ago, Mcilroy56 said:

Figures improved by 0.8% in first quarter 2017

Decent.  But in the choppy waters of Brexit, is still a mere blip.

The currency lost 20% value in last year after all.

If you were measuring Scotlands 2017 GDP in Euros or Dollars v 2015 - we'd be goosed!

Although because oil is in $, Scotland with a weak pound may, perform above UK by default - could be nowt to do with SNP.

Edited by RAG

16 minutes ago, Scooter said:

If the Scottish Government are getting the blame for a 'near recession' then surely the should get credit for economy growing 4 times faster than the UK..

Especially when to beat austerity, the deficit and  the national debt - the economy must grow - which it hasn't been doing this decade.

The way it's spun as a "near recession" tells you all you need to know.

6 hours ago, Scooter said:

If the Scottish Government are getting the blame for a 'near recession' then surely the should get credit for economy growing 4 times faster than the UK... doesn't fit the SNPbad mantra that some like to revel in though.

IMG_20170706_135851.jpg

Or you could take the credit, like Derek Mackay, even though you didn't take the blame for the last two quarters. 

Economy out performing the rest of the UK. (Despite everyone rejoicing too early)

Unemployment going the right way (lowest in UK?)

Best performing NHS in UK (depending which report you read today)

And Scottish international exports are valued at £28.7 billion for 2017 - up 42% under the SNP apparently.

I'm not an SNP fanatic by any means, didn't vote for them in the GE just there in fact. However it seems that accolades that would be widely celebrated in other countries, are greeting with disdain in ours. I have no doubt that a wide percentage of the population would love to see us in the gutter, just to be able to point fingers.

Edited by ross1987
Missed a 'close bracket' and it annoyed me

32 minutes ago, ross1987 said:

I'm not an SNP fanatic by any means, didn't vote for them in the GE just there in fact. However it seems that accolades that would be widely celebrated in other countries, are greeting with disdain in ours. I have no doubt that a wide percentage of the population would love to see us in the gutter, just to be able to point fingers.

Yep

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Love is in the air this summer, just ask wee Kez and her new beau Jenny Gilruth, an SNP MSP.

Let's see how long it takes Jenny to flip Kezia... o.O

Damn you Scooter, beat me to it. Kez could be changing sides

Edited by Mcilroy56

It's interesting as Kez has attacked Sturgeon rather than the SNP in last few months at FMQ's

Dugdales speciality  (like our Cumnock home boy MC_Lean) to attack the SNP on education.

Gillruths briefs under Swinney on Education.

Interesting from that point of view, not shocked two people that work in same building are in a relationship.

I was reminded of this somewhat bizarre attack on Sturgeon by Dugdale recently on hearing news of this..

‘I wouldn’t drink with her’: Dugdale launches personal attack on Sturgeon

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15326952.___I_wouldn___t_drink_with_her_____Dugdale_launches_personal_attack_on_Sturgeon/

Depends what your inetions when drinking with somebody are? Perhaps?  Who knows.  Bizarre twist, all a bit Jeremy Kyle really..

Edited by RAG

Kez is a strange one. From a family of SNP supporters, applied twice to be an intern with the SNP, opposes many of Jeremy Corbyn's policies because they're stolen from the SNP, and now dating an SNP msp.

I know it's not unusual for work place romances to blossom but you'd think Kez would have more in common with someone like Jackie Ballie. 

4 hours ago, Zorro said:

I know it's not unusual for work place romances to blossom but you'd think Kez would have more in common with someone like Jackie Ballie. 

Dude. Don't go there! I might be forced to tell the internet what my mums always though about Annabelle Goldie!!!

Edited by RAG
Spellcheck correction what I'd actually typed - badly obviously.

53 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Independence divisive much then eh?

It brings people together! :D

I think in this instance its true love and lesbianism thats done that trick.

Murdo Fraser and the evil Willie Rennie are probably jealous they weren't shot with cupids cross party arrow themselves.

Edited by RAG

13 hours ago, Mcilroy56 said:

Jackie Baillie, and Annabelle Goldie, I don think my dough will rise again

I always liked Annabelle Goldie, she seemed old school Tory; from before greed was good and f**k the poor became party policy. A very good orator, with a sharp wit, and able to give as good as she took. Much more likeable than Tank Girl leading the party up here now. I feel Annabelle will be quite embarrassed by the route the Scottish Tories are going down now; pandering to the "Staunch Unionists", Orange Order, and those who base their politics on football team they support. 

• 3 months later...

So 2 Tories and 3 former or present Labour supporters?  (I'm aware Freeman is now a nationalist).

Im sure compared to the zeitgeist thats the Killie political forum, this episode will be as representative of politics in Killie as a day out on the moon.

Is no way in Scotland on the state broadcaster, a debate show should have an 80% unionist panel.

I used to watched QT, but frankly its now a load of pish.

Edited by RAG

7 hours ago, RAG said:

So 2 Tories and 3 former or present Labour supporters?  (I'm aware Freeman is now a nationalist).

Im sure compared to the zeitgeist thats the Killie political forum, this episode will be as representative of politics in Killie as a day out on the moon.

Is no way in Scotland on the state broadcaster, a debate show should have an 80% unionist panel.

I used to watched QT, but frankly its now a load of pish.

It's a UK-wide programme and there are far bigger issues in the world than Scottish Independence.

I like Owen Jones and Anne McElvoy, and whilst I disagree with much of Hannan's politics, he's an intelligent debator.

Edited by fraz65

32 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

It's a UK-wide programme and there are far bigger issues in the world than Scottish Independence.

I like Owen Jones and Anne McElvoy, and whilst I disagree with much of Hannan's politics, he's an intelligent debater.

Em, did you catch the recent episode in Northern Ireland?  I caught a bit of that on radio 5.  Most of the comment on that episode was massively parochial ( and retrograde) in its outlook.

Point is the BBC are never gonna represent the good people of Kilmarnock in their network programming from London and if they can't do it while in kilmarnock itself, then QT is not representative of the debate going on in the country as a whole.

I've got a couple of Owen Jones' books, so got no beef with him.

I saw that online vetting on the form, @Mister Y. Didn't apply for the Killie one but I got a call back once a few years back when it was in Edinburgh.  Had a nice chat with the researcher, who said I'd an interesting point and in the end I went down the pub instead.  Up until that point, I thought it was live, when its pre recorded and no doubt edited!

Edited by RAG