Curious and Slightly Concerned

Mister Y

Get a grip. He has signed others with no rangers connections but lets not mention them as it doesnt make a goid headline. I for one am fully behind our manager and believe we have a manager who is capable of improving us on and off the park. Think we can do without this kind of crap at this stage of the season in particular.

Every manager no matter who they are will bring in players that they know well. I would also do it if in their position. My concern would be if they cant perform but Broadfoot and burke looked good today,  He can sign burke after his performance today. I dont care where they come from or their history as long as when they have a killie shirt on we get the best from them. 

19 minutes ago, Mister Y said:

Broadfoot...Burke...Spencer....

Locke got pelters for this kind of signing policy, so what's different here?

Are we so desperate for a new wave of good feeling about the club that we are now prepared to accept this?

The difference is these boys have decent pedigree and have played at a good level. Not really comparable to Scott Robinson, Kevin mchattie, Dale Carrick, Paul Cairney......

these players have gone from better clubs to us, it was the opposite with that clownshoe

9 minutes ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

Always wary of players who have made their money and can't get a game with their club. Lack of desire, motivation I think at these type of wages.

Broadfoot strolled it today, cigar in hand, I could hear him from where I was in the East Stand shouting and guiding the youngsters through the game, at one point screamed at Hawkshaw to "take the hit" when he knocked the ball out of play as a guy tried to tackle him from the back, instead of drawing the foul.

Burke has skill, beat his man 90% of the time, passed it well and flung in some beautiful crosses crying out for someone to get on the end of them, given he is far from full fitness, he was frustrated on a couple of occassion, could be heard to moan "agghhh" at himself when he lost the ball.

Alan Power, solid if unspectacular, did the donkey work in midfield to break up play and I can't recall him giving the ball away needlessly, always head up looking for an outlet, again he was constantly talking the youngsters through the game.

Stephen O'Donnell, as per Power, solid if unspectacular again looked to get upfield at every opportunity, had a wee moan at Rory for not giving him the ball quick enough a couple of times, first half, on the overlap. Always looked to pass and move it forward. 

On today's performance you can't possibly question any of their desire & motivation and they are certainly not chasing a big wage or final payday with us.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue said:

Locke did sign a few duds but did sign Jig, Dicker, Hodson and I think big Josh ... Managers are always going to sign people they've worked with / played with in the past particularly at the level / finances we operate in.

Tommy Burns did the same. 

Jig was a terrible signing

I can't remember the last time I was this optimistic for the start of a killie season, although still can't fully get on board due to so many false dawns. 

From big things like the quality of some of our signings, our great youngsters and a decent young manager. To smaller things like the improvement on our social media and video output, it's so weird being impressed and optimistic. 

Think we are a couple of decent strikers away from having a good season. 

He has signed just as many players who came through the development squad at Celtic than he has ex-Sevco players. No idea where Brad Spencer has played (in the US perhaps?) but he has so far signed players from england, lower leagues in Scotland and currently has one on trial who has left another SPFL club. 

The difference between McCulloch's signing policy and Locke's approach is massive - and the same can be said when comparing it to Clark's one track approach as well. 

Edited by historyman

Like it or lump it. If you get a former O F player you generally get a player who has that something extra about them.

For example T Burns G McPherson I Durrant  etc So if they improve us as a team whats the problem.  

8 hours ago, Mister Y said:

Broadfoot...Burke...Spencer....

Locke got pelters for this kind of signing policy, so what's different here?

Are we so desperate for a new wave of good feeling about the club that we are now prepared to accept this?

Been waiting for someone to start this post. Personally I don't give a damn where our players come from as long as they're decent additions to the squad.

The difference between this and Locke is not comparable. He is signing players with experience at international level, European competitions, and at a reasonable level in England. That is better than signing reserve players from a lower league team.

43 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

We've signed two former Scotland international players who have champions league experience, experience of Scottish and English football and who played in a UEFA cup final... and we're moaning!?

Burke is still on trial unless I've missed something @Bullitt

Edited by C4mmy31
Updated info

1 hour ago, Bullitt said:

We've signed two former Scotland international players who have champions league experience, experience of Scottish and English football and who played in a UEFA cup final... and we're moaning!?

we signed a player with real madrid experience not long ago, that worked out well........

its what theyre like now, not what they did in the past that counts

I don't get the thinking on this one. What signings in particular would you say are a direct comparison to previous players under Locke or Clark ? 

Broadfoot looks in better shape than he ever did at Rankers and has clearly benefited from his time down south. He was solid yesterday.

Burke has been unlucky with illness in previous seasons. He still looked impressive yesterday albeit he might have tailed off towards the end of the game.

His quality of crossing was superb. Boydie just didn't have the mobility to get anywhere near them. 

Do you think these players aren't good enough for us ? 

Remeber where we are as a club. We have some promising youngsters coming through but lack experience. I don't think we should be lumping all the responsibility on Boydie to lead them through a season. He won't play every week. Not a snowmans chance in hell. 

McCulloch even in his early management career is of a much higher quality than Locke could ever hope to be.

We still have areas we need to strengthen but I saw enough yesterday to be confident that we have the right man in place. The signings he has made, I believe we have the foundations of a very good team. 

To compare this to Lockes time is nonsense. 

Some people on here are never happy no matter who we sign and it's not based on footballing ability. 

IMHO, I believe they post because they have a grievance based on the great West Coast divide and the particular side of the fence they sit on..... 

Look at this thread for example started by a guy who's only argument is based on the fact 3 players, the ones he named, started yesterday who have a triangled connection to our manager through a team he despises, he offered absolutely no reason why they shouldn't play for us other than 2 of them played for Rangers years ago and the 3rd he named is hilarious because his dad is an ex ranger of some 25yrs ago ffs......

No doubt I will be shot down in flames by some, but thats the feeling I get.

Edited by C4mmy31
Grammar

McCulloch and Spencer played together at Motherwell. In the late 90s early 00s. Alhough both played for Rangers they didn't play there together. 

Only concern I have about the signings is if they offer the reliability we seek rather than the ability. Broadfoot and Burke have had their injury issues in recent years. I want signings to be available regularly. Not a repeat of Addison and Smith in the last few years where you've won a watch getting three games in a row out of them. 

When you look at what they offer on paper with experience, medals, caps, level they've played at and winning mentality they bring then they should be be great signings. 

After last season's signings, I am delighted with the way that Lee has conducted his business. He has added the experience that we were crying out for and added another couple of youngsters to the ranks who have great potential. It doesn't matter that a couple of them plied there trade at rangers during their career, it's what they give us now that is more important. In Lee we trust:hurrah: