Dom Thomas

C4mmy31

Hopefully he can be someone who like Slater(on leaving St Mirren) felt that he needed a change of club to progress his career. Sounds similar in that Well wanted to keep him but couldn't guarantee 1st team football.I assume we cannot guarantee 1st team football however he has obviously felt wanted by LM and is prepared to take the chance!Hope it works out for both parties.

• 2 weeks later...

Dom Thomas has been told to relive his school days at Kilmarnock and the summer signing says it is a breath of fresh air compared to Motherwell.

The 21-year-old winger had been on loan with Queen of the South last season before he and Well parted company.

"He told me to go and play like you are playing in the school with your pals," he said of Killie boss Lee McCulloch.

"And, for me, that's the way it should be played, but people take football too seriously."

Thomas responded by scoring a double in his first start for Kilmarnock as the Ayrshire side came from behind to beat Clyde 4-2 in the League Cup on Tuesday.

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson said he allowed Thomas to join Killie on a three-year contract because he believed the young Scot no longer wanted to be at Fir Park.

"Everyone has a different opinion, but the way they were playing wasn't really for me," said Thomas.

"The way they set out to play football here is perfect for me.

"The manager said he wants me to play with a smile on my face and that was music to my ears.

"The way I wanted to play football was the way he wants me to play and I am thankful for that."

McCulloch says he is trying to take the fear factor out of football at Rugby Park.

"I spoke to Dom and he was telling me that what he had been taught in the last year or two had been about defence," he recalled as he looked forward to Saturday's next League Cup Group E game away to Annan Athletic.

"I just wanted him to enjoy his football again and go and play as a free spirit and I think he did that the other night.

"As long as he is putting in the hard work then I just want him to enjoy himself and express himself with no fear.

"That is the culture we are trying to create, especially in the final third, just go and express yourself and don't fear giving the ball away.

"Worse things have happened than giving a football away, especially in the final third of the pitch."

(BBC)

"The manager said he wants me to play with a smile on my face and that was music to my ears."

The boy loves a cliché but at least he doesn't mix his metaphors!

Edited by skygod

You have to take into consideration the level of opponent but he's certainly impressing so far. A couple of goals scored and he's had a hand in the other four we've scored in the group as well. As said above the time to judge is in the league but he's made an impact so far

Decent start to his Killie career , much much harder games and tougher defenders to come .....hope he continues to impress and prove himself 

will be interesting to see the starting line up for the opening league game ...and what will be LM best 11 when he finishes his recruitment 

1 minute ago, Richie242KFC said:

He loves the word "obviously" like the MacFadzean guy who was with for 5 minutes  

Loves sticking them in the back the net and setting them up for our XL target man too - so I'm not complaining.

If they interviewed you, you'd "obviously" be a wee bit nervous and repeat an "obviously" assuring phrase if you were 21 n better at Football than all that media  or typing on the internet stuff.

Come on; MacFadzean was a fecking muppet compared to Thomas in their interviews and on the pitch!

31 minutes ago, RAG said:

Loves sticking them in the back the net and setting them up for our XL target man too - so I'm not complaining.

If they interviewed you, you'd "obviously" be a wee bit nervous and repeat an "obviously" assuring phrase if you were 21 n better at Football than all that media  or typing on the internet stuff.

Come on; MacFadzean was a fecking muppet compared to Thomas in their interviews and on the pitch!

Talking of players who are terrible at interviews, Wayne Rooney still gives it his trademark "emmm" before & during answers, it doesn't affect his footballing ability.

I know you can't compare both as players, but some people are comfortable with a mike stuck under there nose, others ain't..... Just saying.

Edited by C4mmy31
Grammar

My Motherwell supporting mate said that he had the talent but drifted out of games too often or never got started in others and apparently has a bit of an attitude problem.

He's certainly hit the ground running and been very influential in the games he's played so far ... Fingers crossed he keeps it up and we could have a real find on our hands.

Nothing wrong with a bit of attitude 

McCulloch strikes me as the type of guy who will be able to manage this well. 

Allow Thomas to have enough attitude to express himself on the park but no to much that he gets ideas above his station. 

Every player that has signed can't speak highly enough of how McCulloch sold the philosophy of his style he wanted to play. 

I don't think that wee nyaff at Well would be able to get that out of a player like Thomas hence the reason McCulloch convinced him Killie was the club to sign for. 

I think like Jones has flourished under McCulloch Thomas will be the exact same. 

The early signs are extremely promising let's hope they come to fruition throughout the season 

58 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of attitude 

Allow Thomas to have enough attitude to express himself on the park but no to much that he gets ideas above his station. 

Every player that has signed can't speak highly enough of how McCulloch sold the philosophy of his style he wanted to play. 

I don't think that wee nyaff at Well would be able to get that out of a player like Thomas hence the reason McCulloch convinced him Killie was the club to sign for. 

I think like Jones has flourished under McCulloch Thomas will be the exact same. 

The early signs are extremely promising let's hope they come to fruition throughout the season 

I get the impression he had fell out of love with football at Motherwell & they expected him to fill a role which didn't suit his game....

"Everyone has a different opinion, but the way they were playing wasn't really for me," said Thomas.

McCulloch added "I spoke to Dom and he was telling me that what he had been taught in the last year or two had been about defence,"

What McCulloch expects of him, even before the Annan game....

"I just want him to enjoy his football again and go and play as a free spirit and I think he did that the other night. As long as he is putting in the hard work then I just want him to enjoy himself and express himself with no fear"

2 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Agree.

McCulloch seems similar to Kenny Shiels in the sense that he wants his forwards to attack and express themselves, and for everyone to be comfortable on the ball.

I seem to remember both Kenny and Mixu before him getting particularly wound up about players being scared to have the ball at their feet and punting it long at every opportunity. I think it will take time for the players' confidence to come back after years of Locke etc.

In that sense, maybe the Ayr game just came too soon for us.