Them v Killie fred 14/07/14

CB

7 minutes ago, Barneyboy said:

Very poor tonight. I know it's only the start of pre season but it was against our biggest rivals and if you can't get yourself motivated for that you shouldn't be wearing the stripes. You could have picked anyone from the support that would have gave more effort than half the team out there tonight. Early days for big Lee but his team let us supporters down big time tonight, all we ask for is a team we can be proud of and that show some commitment. Nothing tonight. Now I have to face these pr1cks at work tonight

Absolutely right, it was very apparent in the first half that the new guys thought that they only had to step onto the park against the newly relegated team. By the time they got it the game was gone and we were chasing the game against a team who knew what it was about and each other

15 minutes ago, Barneyboy said:

Early days for big Lee 

The worrying thing, and the reason I wouldn't have appointed him, is that its not early days. Those were exactly the same mistakes - tactical naivety, inflexibility, inability to change a game - that we saw at the end of last season. Easy to get worked up over one result but I'm quietly worried about all this. Can see a better manager coming in after a few months and getting that squad to work. 

5 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

The game came too early for us by the looks of things. We had an awful first half but did improve in the second. We all knew that the forwards positions is the area we need sorted and quickly. We need 2 if not three front men as Boyd just isn't doing it. 

It came at the same time for Ayr .

A team 2 leagues below us but you wouldn't have known that tonight. 

Agreed we improved in the second half but we have no cutting edge. 

So aye we definitely need proven strikers.

• CB unpinned this topic

The big game...we're all up for it,players and fans,new management team,strongest team will be played,we ALL know how important it is to the people that matter most,yes,it's us,the fans. What happens? A totally inept performance from a bunch of footballers who,pretty obviously,don't give one monkeys f**k about the daft c**ts who waste their money to follow them. Feel sick tonight because these heartless bastards are what I've got to follow for the next season.

Possibly the worst performance I've seen, certainly a strong contender for lowest point as a Killie fan. Each and every one of you should hang your head in shame for that tonight. 

Ayr were the better team, despite a two division gulf and the fact they've just been relegated. It makes you wonder what we've been doing for preseason exactly that we're so far off the pace of a Division 1 side. 

Any optimism caused by the new, more open board, the summer signings, new kit, etc, has been totally quashed tonight. On that showing, we are in for a very long and hard season. Without further strengthening we are as good as down. 

Macdonald gets pass marks for keeping the s**tfest more respectable than it was, because it could have been worse. Jones gets pass marks for being direct and some good dribbles, albeit he lacked a final ball. 

The rest, to a man, were woeful. Where were Greg Taylor and Gary Dicker - why on earth did we not start our two best players? They're the first names on the team sheet. 

O'Donnell was poor and didn't get forward enough in support. Broadfoot and Scott Boyd let someone nick in and score from less than six yards. Their distribution was horrendous too. Why the long balls?

Waters starting was bizarre. He was another poor performer. 

Alan Power looks a mile off if. Him and Iain Wilson couldn't complete the most basic of five yard passes and were chasing shadows against a lower division team. We were second to everything and when we were on the ball, the midfield hid. 

Frizzell and McKenzie were worse than useless. They were a man down. Neither can cut it, get rid. 

I've been Kris Boyd's biggest advocate in recent seasons when fans have been suggesting he's past it, but even I will now say he's done. He's turned up for pre season about a stone heavier and a yard slower. He's unfit and immobile and offers nothing but a man in the box to get on the end of crosses that are non existent. He can't run the channels or hang on the shoulder of defenders, so we're a one trick team with him in the lineup. Priority in the window is a striker or two. 

The subs tonight were baffling. How we went an hour without a change is beyond me. There should have been a half time change and by an hour there should have been three, that's how far off we were. 

Never been more embarrassed to be a Killie fan.

1 hour ago, stewarty66 said:

O Donnell was decent?

Seriously? 

Samizadeh was anonymous?

He was hardly on for any length of time.

Ok, point taken. I was giving O'Donnell credit for trying to get forward, but his defending was suspect. Particularly when he completely lost Adams at a corner before they scored.

All I'm saying about Samizadeh is that he didn't make an impact on the game. Granted he only got a few minutes, but in contrast, as soon as Thomas came on, he made a couple of runs directly at the Ayr defence.

Not slating the youngster just stating facts. I think he'll come good, but he'll need to get used to first team football.

17 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Possibly the worst performance I've seen, certainly a strong contender for lowest point as a Killie fan. Each and every one of you should hang your head in shame for that tonight. 

Never been more embarrassed to be a Killie fan.

I remember my first beer

Jones is really exciting to watch but can be frustrating with a poor final ball and corner kicks. Too often he wanted to hold onto the ball rather than get an early cut back to players in better shooting positions. Might explain why he's not playing at a higher level.

I thought Thomas did well, especially coming on when the team were struggling so badly. He was direct and he did manage a couple of decent cross balls.

Jamie McDonald kept Killie in the game.

Missed Dicker and hopefully his injury is minor and precautionary.

I agree with most of the other posts regarding the other performers.

Read through people's opinions and I can't believe anyone is seeing positives or indeed handing out pass marks. That was embarrassing nothing else. We were played off the park by a poor side from two divisions below many of whom are still part timers I believe. 

MacDonald kept the score down. That's all he did. He was nowhere in HIS penalty box. He watched twice as Ayr players got free headers before the goal and did nothing about it. He should have been going mental. His distribution and kicking were horrific and he slowed the game right down. The Ayr keeper was a tall dwarf and commanded his area really well. Either catching or punching and wanted to compete. Woodman in nets I don't think they'd have posed half the attacking threat because he wasn't rooted to his line.

The back four let us down. I blame the manager firstly. You don't play a whole new unit in a game like this. Boyd and Taylor have played together before in front of MacDonald then you integrate others. Tonight wasn't the night for experimenting. After that individually they were terrible.

Midfield was rotten. It has been for years. We were bullied. If our creative players got the ball they were chased and in the case of Jones and Frizzell chopped or pulled all over the place. We stood off and were scared to get involved. I can take getting beat but getting beat because the opposition wanted it more is not acceptable. McKenzie started as a striker but is actually scared to bomb forward. Some runs off the ball yes but with the ball at his feet a rabbit in the headlights. 

Jones was our biggest attacking threat. Aside from going by a few men and having one shot he did nothing. He's paid to create chances and his deliveries into the area were poor. Woohoo you went by three men. Did your team score? No then it doesn't matter. 

Boyd was poor up front. He wasn't to blame for how bad it was though. Tell me a time in his career when he's been the big target man. There isn't one. Hovering on the shoulder of defenders or lurking in the penalty box is where he is/was best. Not 30yards out trying to compete with two CBs for a hoof. 

Tonight was a disaster. All week they've been giving it the chat but when the whistle blew they bottled it and didn't turn up. Let the club down the fans down and themselves down. I was disappointed in McCullochs post match. He should have gone after them big time because that was an utter disgrace and if it's a sign of things to come we are in for a big struggle.

I know it's a derby game but f*ck me. Some amount of overreaction going on. 

We all saw the game and for the most part everyone saw it the same way with Macdonald, Jones and Thomas the only decent performers in an otherwise dismal team.

I can't believe some of the U-turns being pulled after one game. Same people that only a few days ago were spouting, "I think we have the makings of a top young manager..." or "this is the most optimistic I've been about our first team in years" etc.

In Brendan Rodgers first competitive game of an invincible domestic season - his side lost 1-0 to Lincoln Red Imps. So let's keep some perspective:

- Tonight was shocking but we will only get better

- Taylor, Dicker and Kiltie (arguably our three best players) to come back in

- Quote from the manager pre-kickoff, "at least 4 more signings" (one of which will surely be a mobile centre forward)

- Lastly, if you're upset because it's suddenly become apparent to you that Boyd is past it... you're a tube! He's been rotten for 3 years.

Edited by bizza_89
Grammar

Shocking performance. 

What's with the long ball nonsense? Lesser teams will lap that up all day long, their 2 centre backs looked like Maldini and Nesta. Why wasn't a single defender coming short for the ball? Put the two centre backs at the edge of the box and put the full backs on the bylines just like every other professional team! Pumping it long every time is amateur football tactics.

Jones is clearly our best player, the only one with any creativity. He was okay tonight but had nothing to aim for. Thomas looks decent and could be a useful signing. Boyd at the back won most of his aerial battles and looked quicker than I originally thought. Other than those three, absolute pish. Ayr looked comfortable and had a solid shape, could easily have been mistaken as the premiership team. 

Formation didn't seem right. 4-2-3-1 against a league one side? Two DMs and one striker, really? I understand Boyd is our only striker but we could've put someone upfront beside him. Somerset isn't a big pitch so we need to try and get as wide as possible, 4-2-3-1 ain't going to cut it. 

Massively disappointing, the fans sold out their allocation and were vocal before and during most of the match. And for what? Every time we show up in force the players bottle it and make us all look like right c**nts. McCulloch didn't seem to have a clue how to change his tactics. Worrying signs for the new season.

1 hour ago, Dillinger said:

I've been going to games since 1993. Name a worse performance or lower point?

Off the top of my head, obvious ones are Gretna, the Hibs Cup Final, away to Morton in the Scottish cup. Locke teams had plenty worse performances than that (how many put 5 past us that year?) and there were several terrible performances in the Jeffries era also.

5 hours ago, robkil said:

Off the top of my head, obvious ones are Gretna, the Hibs Cup Final, away to Morton in the Scottish cup. Locke teams had plenty worse performances than that (how many put 5 past us that year?) and there were several terrible performances in the Jeffries era also.

Disagree the Gretna or Locke league performances compare with an ayr cup loss. 

The Hibs one I'll give you. 

Reading the comments from the manager and getting angry all over again. "There was far too much lumping of the ball". Yeah? Whose fault is that Lee? A system which basically left that as the only option, and which he only changed to make it more long ball too late in the game. Worried he just doesn't get it. 

26 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Reading the comments from the manager and getting angry all over again. "There was far too much lumping of the ball". Yeah? Whose fault is that Lee? A system which basically left that as the only option, and which he only changed to make it more long ball too late in the game. Worried he just doesn't get it. 

Totally agree, I'm sick to death of the punt to Boyd. McCulloch is totally responsible for that tactic and the way the team is set up. He better get a feckin grip or we'll be canon fodder in the league. 

We have set up to play one style of football aimed at a player who is not fit enough for Sunday league never mind the top level. 

Boydie shouldn't be anywhere near that team sheet until he's about 2 stone lighter 

we need to fix it now otherwise this season is going to be no different to the last half a dozen 

we were playing a team who have only just went full time in recent months 

a team who got relegated from the Championship and worse of all our biggest rivals 

thanks to the blind loyalty shown to Boydie we now have to suffer the non stop gloating of that lot. The media will have a field day with it when it comes to league predictions. 

It's not lumping all the blame on him but what message does it send to the rest of the team? When the player with the most experience and has achieved so much in the game that it is perfectly acceptable to be in that condition and get a game ? 

Not only that we set up our style of play with him as the target man 

Its an absolute embarrassment 

That's one failure down for LM this new season

He had promised lessons had been learned from way LC had prepared team for this cup...also said he would make sure the team were set up for this important game both tactically and fitness wise

No sign of any of that last night.......

That's one failure down for LM this new season

He had promised lessons had been learned from way LC had prepared team for this cup...also said he would make sure the team were set up for this important game both tactically and fitness wise

No sign of any of that last night.......

Now I've calmed down and had a think, I think the issue was our two central defenders last night. Had that been Dicker and Ajer we would have have had two lads who like to distribute from the back.

Scott Boyd is solid enough but not comfortable on the ball. Broadfoot I thought was the best of the back four. 

O'Donnell reminds me of Cohlessey (or however you pronounce it). His first thought with ball at feet is to hit it early directly into the corner or cross field to the lone striker. That won't work and isn't acceptable.

Power has been getting it tight, but actually I thought Wilson in the middle of the park was quite embarrassing at time. The lad Adams who was on our books before completely ran the game along with their number 11.

It's a bad night but it's not worth hitting the panic button over. We have plenty time to turn things around, and more matches and a few attacking options should help.