Them v Killie fred 14/07/14

CB

McCulloch has been around for two years now under two managers and had a few months in charge last season so it's maybe too optimistic to think that the style of football was suddenly going to change. 

If he is truly wedded to the idea of playing a 4-4-2, he shouldn't rest for a moment until he has recruited the front two (at least) because the team won't function without them. 

Pursuing a GK should be the least of his problems. 

I also wonder about the wisdom of spending two days travelling to and from a Spanish resort when the pre-season is already so short. Either that or just write off the Betfred Cup because, the way the format is now, it's virtually a pre-season competition. 

The BT Sports pundits were quite candid last night, Sutton having a go at Boyd more than once although there was probably underlying media rivalry involved there. 

But they also talked about the delay in appointing McCulloch and the time which was lost in preparations as a result. Not sure whether that was down to the board or McCulloch but it maybe didn't help. 

Ayr were excellent although we allowed them to be. The best moments all came from them, topped by Crawford's mazy run. The expected gulf in class was never evident and they had the best player on the park in Jamie Adams, ironically. 

I was in favour of appointing an experienced manager ahead of another rookie but we're stuck with McCulloch, so he had better learn fast.

As said above, he's had a couple of years to get prepared for the job and he knows the players at his disposal. 

A bad start for him and the team but not the end of the world. If it shakes any complacency out of them it will have been worthwhile.  

Edited by skygod

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

But they also talked about the delay in appointing McCulloch and the time which was lost in preparations as a result. Not sure whether that was down to the board or McCulloch but it maybe didn't help

I think there might be some truth in the that. Good post.

Trouble is, if you want to play 442, stick Cameron up front and give him a try. Or switch to that mid game. It was the really basic stuff that worried me. That's not about time to the same extent.

After two minutes the bloke beside me said "we've reduced the game to their level", and that's exactly what McCulloch did with those tactics. McCall must have been delighted with the way we set up. It seemed to me that some fairly basic defensive tactics from a more experienced manager totally threw McCulloch.

I was behind the dugout and he spent ages shouting at the midfield for letting Ayr get 3v3 in the first half. Well that's going to happen if you isolate the striker. He should have seen them doubling up on Jones coming too but struggled to combat that. And taking off both central midfielders I still don't understand. He basically switched to a hail Mary tactic with about 20 mins to go.

I'm hoping the Lincoln Red Imps comparisons might be good - it is early days. It's just the same mistakes and the basic mistakes that I find troubling. 

13 minutes ago, killieboy said:

Didn't feel like a proper Ayrshire Derby, the only player who looked like he even cared last night was Rory McKenzie.

the only positive I took from it that Don Thomas looks a handy player. 

Where were you he was absolutely s**te last night although the whole team were. He won't do he hasn't improved any.

it's deeply troubling that we don't have continental pro licences and have never played professional football but we CAN see last night's game needed fast players playing on the shoulder of defenders and required a 4-4-2 but management teams time and time again before us don't see this. is the standard of Largs pro licence coach really dive bombed so badly in recent years. it produced managers like Mourinho not that long ago? 

A terrible opening game, but looked as if we were treating it as a preseason friendly and them like a competitive fixture. I also think the team that starts against St Johnstone could be 5-6 players different from last nights shambles. 

I was bitterly disappointed last night as I didn't see the desire I expected. But with 3-4 new recruits expected plus 2 definite starters left out I'm not jumping off the ledge just yet. You've had your wake up call Lee, don't waste it!

3 minutes ago, Killie alan said:

Where were you he was absolutely s**te last night although the whole team were. He won't do he hasn't improved any.

Can't agree with you there Alan, Thomas was one of the bright sparks when he came on, put in a couple of decent crosses, one especially that Boyd stopped going for at the back post. He tried to beat his man, hit the byeline and looks really quick. I doubt there was much more he could have done tbh.

21 minutes ago, killieboy said:

Didn't feel like a proper Ayrshire Derby, the only player who looked like he even cared last night was Rory McKenzie.

the only positive I took from it that Don Thomas looks a handy player. 

What exactly was Rory caring about last night???? It certainly wasn't killie.

No fight, no determination, no desire, no idea! Jamie the only player who started the game with pass marks, dom Thomas looked decent when he came on and seemed to have a bit of a work rate about him. I see a few people saying they thought frizzell was decent even though it was him who lost geggan for the goal? As for tactics, everyone around me could see it wasn't working with Boyd up top after 20 minutes but he waited until 70 minutes to change it, ayr done exactly what we should have last night and credit to them, showed us up in a game that was broadcasted live for thousands to see, last night was a great chance for killie to convince a few more people to get a season ticket but instead I'm no even sure I want mine anymore! Absolute disgrace, no other way to put it!  

22 minutes ago, MarkD1989KTID said:

it's deeply troubling that we don't have continental pro licences and have never played professional football but we CAN see last night's game needed fast players playing on the shoulder of defenders and required a 4-4-2 but management teams time and time again before us don't see this. is the standard of Largs pro licence coach really dive bombed so badly in recent years. it produced managers like Mourinho not that long ago? 

4-4-2 is no longer cool and trendy so even if it's the best thing for the players you have. There's so much messing around with formation because conte, wenger or whoever is in vogue on the continent does it. 

Stick to what works FFS

17 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Can't agree with you there Alan, Thomas was one of the bright sparks when he came on, put in a couple of decent crosses, one especially that Boyd stopped going for at the back post. He tried to beat his man, hit the byeline and looks really quick. I doubt there was much more he could have done tbh.

I know mate really pissed off it's not the defeat it's the lack of performance.

8 minutes ago, Darryl1869 said:

No fight, no determination, no desire, no idea! Jamie the only player who started the game with pass marks, dom Thomas looked decent when he came on and seemed to have a bit of a work rate about him. I see a few people saying they thought frizzell was decent even though it was him who lost geggan for the goal? As for tactics, everyone around me could see it wasn't working with Boyd up top after 20 minutes but he waited until 70 minutes to change it, ayr done exactly what we should have last night and credit to them, showed us up in a game that was broadcasted live for thousands to see, last night was a great chance for killie to convince a few more people to get a season ticket but instead I'm no even sure I want mine anymore! Absolute disgrace, no other way to put it!  

Well said couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, CalMac1988 said:

5-1 league cup final hibs, 4-0 home to dundee and to ross counry, 1-0 home to Alloa after a replay, 1-0 home to stenhousemuir. I could go on.

The only one of those that were a worse performance and more embarrassing, for me, was Hibs. 

You cant compare something like the Dundee game, because they're from our own division. 

Last night we got beat by a team of complete diddies who play in a total dump of a stadium. It's much worse.  

In the cold light of day why did I think it would be any different. Was really optimistic about game last night and as usual we are let down in front of a rare big killie support. There goes the extra season ticket sales, the extra strip sales and I'm sure it won't help the trust get more subscriptions. 

4-5-1 has become the new 4-4-2

It's fashionable and all the cool kids are playing it. Reality is though you need quality on the wings, a creative spark in midfield and a strong, mobile striker.

Last night there were glimpses with Don came on that we had craft and quality on the right and Jones on the left.

Kiltie would add the creative spark when fit and Dicker could provide the engine along with A.N.other... Fraser Fyvie as an example.

On our budget, hilariously, Sammon is the only strong, mobile and fairly quick striker I can see that is available. Billy McKay I've mentioned with others a few times as being my preferred choice up top.

Haven't seen any other names that strike me as being the answer so far.

Why McCulloch thinks Boyd should still be a part of the starting 11 let aloneness the squad is beyond me. Putting aside the fact he quite clearly not in the physical condition to play top flight football one of the problems playing him creates is because he is so immobile he don't make any runs creating space for our other players to exploit. Just stands static in between the 2 opposing centre halves

If we had quicker, more mobile strikers they'd be able to make runs into the channels dragging the centre backs out of position and creating openings for others but at the moment it's just long balls to Boyd which come to nothing 

Were we the last top flight team back for pre season? Certainly Ayr were in a week before us and last night looked a lot fitter. They didn't have the benefit of great facilities and four a day sessions in warm weather. 

Looking at it now we may have been better coming back earlier. Going to Spain earlier and fitting in two or three more friendlies before last night. Plenty of other teams have played more football than us at this stage am deathly it will probably show.

On further reflection ....... Our players come in two types they either can't cope with the physicality and/or they can't run.

Surely a professional footballer should be able to do both?

One or two might get better with a change of attitude or improved fitness but most are hopeless and based on last night couldn't care less either!!!

I respect other opinions but honestly anyone being more optimistic than this is delusional.

One of the worst results in Killies recent history.Not only beat by a team 2 divisions below us but also our local rivals .Not happy with any of the new signings and I hate to say it but Boyd is finished .McCulloch says there are more signings to come ,well if they are anything like the ones he has already I wouldn't be expecting much .Ayr were by far the better team and should have won by more .Only Jones IMHO deserved pass marks the midfield were over ran and looked miles off the pace .Less said about the defence the better,leaving there center half unmarked at corner is criminal .Any more displays like that and Jig will be looking for a new job 

Edited by Killiepies

That's Boyd and the keeper to blame for that. Boyd could/should be quicker off the post to clear his lines. He's in there to win the ball. 

Doesnt look as if MacDonald had to turn the free kick away. On another day he'd have caught that. There's no one in his six yard box he could've been out to get that. 

Why Friz is marking at corners god only knows