Jamie MacDonald

Wrangodog

Only player to emerge with any real credit last night, he prevented us from being utterly humiliated with his saves. Judging by the chat on here he was already gone and Cammy Bell was being welcomed with open arms. Was he at fault for the goal ? Probably as much as Woodman was when Addison stopped playing against Aberdeen.

He wasnt at fault for the goal and pulled off some good saves, that i think a competent premiership level keeper would generally make.

yes one of our better players and has been for a while and is perfectly capable at our level.

his limitations for me are poor or non-existant distribution when under any sort of pressure, poor command of area ( quite common these days amongst keepers, maybe the game is changing) and i feel his handling is relatively poor, often tendency to parry instead of push round the post. All that said nobody is perfect these arent huge criticisms. Possibly the biggest issue is the rumours ofmhim causing a bit of bother behind the scenes.

i havent seen Bell play since he left us, but at his best he was a far better keeper than MacDonald is.

All that said, I would certainly hope that signing goalscorers is being given a higher priority than a new first choice keeper.

He made a few good saves and kept the score down. I felt there were major flaws in his game though. We were right behind him first half and he was rooted to the spot when Ayr players were winning balls in our six yard box. They didn't have a man on him so in my unqualified opinion he could have come and claimed or punched. 

In the first half he seemed to be pushing balls away he would have gathered before. Second half his handling improved. In the build up to the goal I don't think he had to put it out for a corner. The ball may have been slippy but he could have perhaps pushed it more towards the sidelines and look for his defence to clear. He seemed pretty annoyed at that. 

Cammy Bell would be a big improvement on MacDonald. I don't know where the love-in for MacDonald comes from. It was the same last season when Woodman came in. The same folk saying we didn't need another keeper. Results after the change told a different story. 

Even when MacDonald plays well and keeps the score down he gets criticised on here. There were 10 others who should be in front of him in queue for criticism getting dished out after last nights performance. 

The poor guy can't win. I honestly hope he gets a move to a club where he is more appreciated. 

As said above great reaction shot stopper at close range. Have seen delayed reactions though when shots coming in from further out the box. Again as said doesn't move to collect cross balls, waits for defender to run and clear from edge of box when he is in a better/closer position to gather the ball and distribute it better. Also he takes too long to get the ball out wich negates the run the wingers have made. Always looking to lump the ball up the park instead of playing out from the back. All the above only my opinion though and he wasn't in anyway to blame for last nights dire performance, him and JJ the only players that did a bit.(Although Jamie had no choice in the matter).

16 minutes ago, historyman said:

Even when MacDonald plays well and keeps the score down he gets criticised on here. There were 10 others who should be in front of him in queue for criticism getting dished out after last nights performance. 

The poor guy can't win. I honestly hope he gets a move to a club where he is more appreciated. 

I'm not sure he played well. The saves he made you'd expect him to make. None of them were anything close to remarkable. Had he not made them the criticism would've been 100x worse. It was bread and butter stuff from him. The things getting picked up on other than that are the difference between a good keeper and a top keeper. Command of your area, marshalling your defence, distribution. Goalkeeping is about more than just saves now though that's the most important part.

I don't know what your beef is with MacDonald but you are always highly critical of him. It was the same with the threads on the woodman saga. 

I don't know why your opinion of him is so poor as he is one of the main reasons why we are still in the top league. He is easily one of the best keepers in the league (none of whom I would describe as a top keeper) and many others teams would be happy to have him as it seems we will see very shortly. I just wonder whether his replacement will be as good and as consistent for so long. 

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

And you think Bell is a top keeper?

His last Premiership match was in May 2013 when St Mirren won 3-1 at RP.

Yeah, MacDonald gets criticised on here for wanting to continue to play in the top division and we are getting all excited about possibly signing someone who took the decision to drop three divisions.

Personally I think a top form Cammy Bell is better than a top form Jamie MacDonald. Both have their flaws and sadly it's commanding their area at set pieces. Bell imo has better distribution.

I don't have a problem with MacDonald personally. I completely agree he is a key reason we are still a top flight club. I'm critical of his performances at times and i picked up on a number of flaws in his game last night being so close to him. I've seen him play a lot better than that. I backed Woody last season because I was told by someone at the club he was a far better keeper and I feel that was proved correct. I had an issue with people saying it was unfair on Jamie. Maybe it was but we are Kilmarnock Football Club not Jamie MacDonald FC. We look after our own interests.

Teams constantly evolve. Players deemed key can be replaced as well.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I had a little bit of sick in my mouth as I typed it. 

We are lucky to have 2goalkeepers of the quality of Jamie Mac and Cammy but this debate about Jamie Mac would never have grown any arms and legs if our previous manager had not decided to bring in a loanee (who admittedly was very good as well)but I'm sure many of us would agree at the time that was not one area of the team we were expecting to be changed as Jamie Mac was probably our most consistent players.I have an amount of sympathy for him and don't blame him for trying to manufacture a move from us to supposedly rangers or whoever but as I have said before if he leaves I wish him all the best and also the same to Cammy when he takes over but I don't think any of us can say Jamie MacDonald was a poor goalkeeper as some on here are trying to say!

On 15/07/2017 at 4:23 PM, piffer said:

I'm not sure he played well. The saves he made you'd expect him to make. None of them were anything close to remarkable. Had he not made them the criticism would've been 100x worse. It was bread and butter stuff from him. The things getting picked up on other than that are the difference between a good keeper and a top keeper. Command of your area, marshalling your defence, distribution. Goalkeeping is about more than just saves now though that's the most important part.