Are public sector workers over paid?

gdevoy

Its a regressive debate

Hence why, to avoid Brexit, Tories are pushing it.

Public sector workers have superior pension rights to those in private sector - cos successive Tory (and NEW Labour) governments have privatised ALL but the essential public services.

All the bits that mad money have been sold off leaving teachers, nurses etc - all btw professional and highly unionised professions - coincidence - I think not. Thats point of being a "professional" and having a prof. body behind your trade - is it not?

Tories would rather those remaining public services, are all wiped out and we swiftly returned to the times of Oliver fecking dickens.   To push through this agenda of more inequality n Tory C***s.

Edited by RAG

Some are some aren't. There's a lot of jobs I wouldn't do for the money they get paid. I read somewhere that if you started as a trainee with Aldi's at the same time as someone else started training as a nurse, by the time the nurse qualified with their degree, the person working in Aldi's would be on more money. Don't know about you but I think someone caring for the sick and dying is worth more than someone making sure there's enough beans on the shelfs. 

Wonder if Hammond was thinking of himself here, his salary & benefits package is worth around £400,000, not bad for a shallow incompetent.

Classic Tory mantra of pay the poor less to motivate them to work harder but pay the rich more to motivate them!

1 hour ago, casual observer said:

Is the problem of public sector pay like teachers, nurses, emergency services, etc not linked to vocation versus career? Why do people pick the jobs they are in? Would the public rather pay more tax to improve public sector pay and services?

The record number of nurses leaving and giving up their registration suggests the vocation argument might be wearing thin. Speaking with junior doctors I'd say at least 50% of them see the next step in their career being abroad. The NHS in England is on the brink of collapse. Scotland is only slightly better placed. 

17 hours ago, casual observer said:

Is the problem of public sector pay like teachers, nurses, emergency services, etc not linked to vocation versus career? Why do people pick the jobs they are in? Would the public rather pay more tax to improve public sector pay and services?

Away and count your fat bonuses :)

4 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

during the recession public sector workers were the net gainers, as many private sector employess saw their income reduce. i know lots of people who had to take pay cuts of up to 40% to keep their job. the public sector had no such woes.

The public sector had redundancies in that period 

11 hours ago, Chris1810 said:

The public sector had redundancies in that period 

maybe they had a few but it was a small precentage compared to the private sector. the public sector did not take pay cuts, they were not monaing about their pay from 2008-2013 we all know why. guess sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Having worked for 27 years in the Private Sector and the last 7 in the Public Sector then I would state that the Public Sector - for like for like jobs- are definitely paid less. The opportunity to be incentivised through one-off or regular bonuses is also only available to a tiny percentage of Public Sector workers.

What I also see in my role is Private Sector bosses taking little or no pain in order to maintain their own lifestyles - for example a reluctance to pay Living Wage - so i would agree that there are many low-paid workers whose bosses are not feeling the same 'pinch' in tough times. I would emphasise that this is not ALL bosses, but you would be surprised how many distressed companies I work with where the very suggestion that bosses put some skin in the game is treated with disdain. 

Here's how to measure it - what value to society or the economy does each job bring? Pay people based on that. The Fat cats would be crapping it then o.O

1 hour ago, Bhamkillieken said:

maybe they had a few but it was a small precentage compared to the private sector. the public sector did not take pay cuts, they were not monaing about their pay from 2008-2013 we all know why. guess sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I'm sure unions would be able to tell you the exact numbers but it was more than a few, off top of my head i'm sure i read over 100k since 08, approx 20%

Also they have had a pay freeze since 2010 so unsure where that fits into your 08 - 2013 argument. But hey-ho why let facts get in the way of a good bitch

Edited by Chris1810
Typo

18 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

during the recession public sector workers were the net gainers, as many private sector employess saw their income reduce. i know lots of people who had to take pay cuts of up to 40% to keep their job. the public sector had no such woes.

The public sector didn't have a recession, it was boom time for them. More benefits had to be assessed, more benefits to be paid, more doctors appointments to be made, more sicklines for stress to be written, more hospital beds needed, more nurses and doctors to look after the influx of patients..... the list goes on and on.

But that's not where the great private v public sector scam ended. A little time earlier the government changed the law so that a lot of public sector jobs had to be put out to tender. In the main the greedy private sector went after the cleaning, call centre, catering, laundry contracts; taking a lot of lower paid jobs out of the public centre and into the private sector, where corners were cut to squeeze every penny that could be made from the public purse. Next the public had to bail out the greedy bankers and in return we got to take on a s**tload of debt and a load of highly paid bankers; who needed to be kept to turn these ailing banks round. We also had to pay them huge bonuses for making huge losses because that's how you keep the top "talent" apparently. 

But that's not even where the story ends. A lot of these losses, which increased public debt, had been accumulated over a number of boom years for the banks, using dodgy banking practices. But once these historical debts had been paid off, the government started selling the banks back on the cheap to the private sector.

The real kick in the teeth comes after the great banking scam. Because of the increased public debt, we get told we need a period of austerity. Public sector workers get a wage cap, the unemployed and disabled get their benefits cut, the bankers keep getting their bonuses. We get drip fed a constant stream of information about how  the public sector are paid more on average than the private sector. Of course they are, the government moved the lower paid public sector jobs into the private sector at the beginning of the scam. In the main all you've got left in the public sector are the more highly educated and higher qualified, than the average in the private sector. Surely they deserve to be paid more?

3 hours ago, Chris1810 said:

I'm sure unions would be able to tell you the exact numbers but it was more than a few, off top of my head i'm sure i read over 100k since 08, approx 20%

Also they have had a pay freeze since 2010 so unsure where that fits into your 08 - 2013 argument. But hey-ho why let facts get in the way of a good bitch

a pay freeze is a net gain when other people are having pay reductions, it is not a difficult concept.

11 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

a pay freeze is a net gain when other people are having pay reductions, it is not a difficult concept.

Its not a difficult concept to work out that if they had a pay freeze for a number of years & the CPI has stayed the same then it will equate to a pay cut. 

Are you a spin doctor for the tories? As you seem very much against any pay rises in public sector. In my opinion I think some areas deserve one more than others.