It says everything about our societies values

gdevoy

What about Lineker? £1.75m for MOTD, plus another seven-figures from Walkers Crisps, plus probably another £1m + from BT Sports.

Good luck to him if he can get somebody mug enough to pay it.

How much are all these effing multiple pundits adding to our Sky and BT Sports subscriptions?

Edited by skygod

49 minutes ago, skygod said:

Good luck to him if he can get somebody mug enough to pay it.

I don't object to individuals getting the market rate for their job if they are doing it well. In fact I felt a bit sorry for Chris Evans being mobbed by a media scrum having to justify what is clearly the market rate for what he does.

Its the absurd inequality of the "Market" system that object to. 

6 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I don't object to individuals getting the market rate for their job if they are doing it well. In fact I felt a bit sorry for Chris Evans being mobbed by a media scrum having to justify what is clearly the market rate for what he does.

Its the absurd inequality of the "Market" system that object to. 

Agree with you. The anger at the BBC being whipped up by the Mail in fact goes to hide a lot of that though. Saw the great example that Ant and Dec made 26 million last year. Bbc as a whole is good  value I reckon. 

Is this an anti-capitalism thread? People generally earn what others are happy to pay them, or they go and work for someone else who will, or are self-employed. Whether that's publicly funded bodies or the private sector, if they are competing for the same talent the going rate will prevail. I don't have any problem with the BBC paying what they do for people to entertain us, and for £12 a month I think I get far better value than Sky provide for example.

15 minutes ago, casual observer said:

Is this an anti-capitalism thread? 

I think it might be.

I was off work ill for a while and spent some time with some folks either living on benefits of having the "living wage" supplemented by benefits so they could live. Nae alkies, junkies or social security fiddlers. Just people with some health challenges that rendered them unable to sell their labour for any more. It made my eyes water thinking about how they managed to budget. I am in the fortunate position of being a wee bit brighter than average and so I am able to sell my talent for what would seem like riches beyond the dreams of avarice to these people. However I couldnae afford to pay Chris Evans' weekly Paper bill.

How can anybody be happy when "The System" has folks toiling to keep their weight under control while others are starving?

12 hours ago, casual observer said:

Is this an anti-capitalism thread? 

The Licence fee that pays for this is a tax.  It has to be paid, by the poorest or richest in the land, even if they wish to watch 2 mins or a full days worth of TV.

Nothing capitalist about that.  In fact, theres something exceedingly, Orwellian, communist and centrally planned about Evans getting 2.5m quid.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

How much do you earn ? Somebody has to start . 

They already publish figures of salaries for those in the public sector.

If not exact Salaries then bands of Salary - I fail to see why the BBC should be exempt from this as the organisation is like Doctors, Teachers and Nurses, directly taxpayer funded.

My mates brother does a show on Kerrang on Digital Radio in London, online and sky - his fee per day (And he's good value) wouldn't get you into 2 Killie games!

So if you're listening to Digital Radio in London, chances are it was recorded in Edinburgh the night before as thats the only way is economically viable.

Fair enough you gotta start somewhere but thats Bauer media, biggest independent Radio in the UK.

He's a producer at Forth too - so isn't like the Kerrang gigs his only meal ticket but is nothing more than an industry of glorified internships and the big jobs (outwith SKY TV) are all in one state funded broadcaster.  It's state aid to the BBC at the expense of other broadcasters.

Edited by RAG

11 hours ago, RAG said:

That's a big research topic at UWS and other Scottish universities. Curiously enough, one of our most recent PhD graduates found out that the amount of nylon fibres (from your swimming trunks and sportswear etc) found in fish guts was through the roof.

46 minutes ago, mathematics said:

That's a big research topic at UWS and other Scottish universities. Curiously enough, one of our most recent PhD graduates found out that the amount of nylon fibres (from your swimming trunks and sportswear etc) found in fish guts was through the roof.

I don't understand the chemistry here, admittedly I never wend beyond SYS (I think that is "Advanced Higher" in todays money). If nylon is just long chain hydro-carbons why should the digestive system have so much trouble breaking them down if its designed for long chain carbohydrates?

4 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I don't understand the chemistry here, admittedly I never wend beyond SYS (I think that is "Advanced Higher" in todays money). If nylon is just long chain hydro-carbons why should the digestive system have so much trouble breaking them down if its designed for long chain carbohydrates?

Hydrocarbons and carbohydrates are not the same thing.

22 minutes ago, Lroy said:

Hydrocarbons and carbohydrates are not the same thing.

I know, but they are very similar. What I wanted to know was why the presence of oxygen molecules in hydrocarbons made such a difference to the ability of organic enzymes to break up the chains. If you burn plastic that combines oxygen then the ash is easily broken down. Why not develop enzymes that can add oxygen themselves? On the down side you would have invented a mechanism by which plastic could rot.

Ok, back to the original question.

If nylon is just long chain hydro-carbons why should the digestive system have so much trouble breaking them down if its designed for long chain carbohydrates?

Easy answer is we (eukaryotes) are simply not designed to. We don't have the means to break them down. Some organisms do but they are often founds in methane rich environments. Our environment is anything but hydrocarbon rich.

...why the presence of oxygen molecules in hydrocarbons made such a difference to the ability of organic enzymes to break up the chains

What are the chains being broken up into? Simple sugars, which contain oxygen. So the oxygen needs to come from somewhere.

Why not develop enzymes that can add oxygen themselves? 

First of all, enzymes are only biological catalysts. Oxidising hydrocarbons happens in much more complex cell structures. Evolutionarily, it was of no benefit. Having cells that oxidise methane is very biologically expensive so is only really found in organisms where it would result in a net benefit.

1 hour ago, Lroy said:

Ok, back to the original question.

Easy answer is we (eukaryotes) are simply not designed to. We don't have the means to break them down. Some organisms do but they are often founds in methane rich environments. Our environment is anything but hydrocarbon rich.

What are the chains being broken up into? Simple sugars, which contain oxygen. So the oxygen needs to come from somewhere.

First of all, enzymes are only biological catalysts. Oxidising hydrocarbons happens in much more complex cell structures. Evolutionarily, it was of no benefit. Having cells that oxidise methane is very biologically expensive so is only really found in organisms where it would result in a net benefit.

Thanks, makes a bit more sense now.

6 hours ago, mathematics said:

Micro-beads in facial washes have recently been banned for same reason!

It's apparently a problem that they have no solution to, as the plastic keeps fragmenting into smaller and smaller particles.

Other environmental catastrophes have previously had at least a theoretical way of humans solving them.

I heard radio interview with they guy who discovered the pacific garbage patch mentioned in that article - he sounded depressed about it all!