Annan Match Thread

C4mmy31

I appreciate both sides of the Boyd argument but generally speaking I don't think I'd find many on this forum who would disagree with me on these four points:

1) he's still one of the best finishers in scotland

2) he's who we want the ball to land to in the box

3) we didn't play to his strength against Ayr

4) if we work the ball into the box this season he can score 10+

39 minutes ago, Joe said:

Oh dear bog miles did nothing. Yes Woodman class, Ajer class, but loanees. Jones class if he could get final ball.

What about his other zillion signings. lee Clarke was and is a tadjer

Folk still moaning about Clark (and still struggle to spell his name) 

he divided opinion and his quick exit disappointed me but he did ensure our survival looking back and signed a player we nearly bagged £1M for.

A player who scored some classic goals that we will be talking about in 20 years. 

A loanee GK that went on to win the World Cup and Golden Glove in the tournament 

A loanee defender that everyone would take back for another spell in a heartbeat.

A winger that if no one comes in and makes an offer for before the window closes id be amazed at, a player with real class. Granted he has shone more under McCulloch but was Clarks signing. 

Was he a patter merchant? Without a doubt. 

Did he also make a number of loanee signings who wouldn't get a game with the Talbot ? Without a doubt 

With hindsight he did a lot of good mixed with a lot of questionable moves.

in comparison to the previous 2 numptys he was an improvement.

i still think he's a gobs**te but it's unfair to deny the positives he delivered aswell 

5 hours ago, Calummoore86 said:

Its not being fickle. Its making an assessment of a players condition and recent performances and coming to an educated decision that he is below premier league standard in his current form. He is overweight and static on the pitch. There are plenty of other strikers much older than him that could outrun and outperform him. He needs to put the pies down, lose two stone and have respect for the jersey. His weight is a total affront for a player on his wages. Two tap ins against annan anthletic doesnt change that.

Surely Lee McCullough is better placed to make a judgement on Boydie's condition and current standard. I know they are mates from their Sevco days but I doubt LMcC would play Boydie just because of that. 

Two tap ins? - I was standing behind the goal yesterday and Boydie's 2nd showed his class and experience in the box. He got on the end of a pass 10 yards out, controlled the ball, beat his marker by shifting to his right and cracked a shot with his left foot into the bottom corner. It was a classy finish and many many other players would not have scored.

He has always looked heavy, so did Eremenko. He clearly isn't the player he was 10 years ago but can still do a job for us 

2 minutes ago, Loanhead said:

Surely Lee McCullough is better placed to make a judgement on Boydie's condition and current standard. I know they are mates from their Sevco days but I doubt LMcC would play Boydie just because of that. 

Two tap ins? - I was standing behind the goal yesterday and Boydie's 2nd showed his class and experience in the box. He got on the end of a pass 10 yards out, controlled the ball, beat his marker by shifting to his right and cracked a shot with his left foot into the bottom corner. It was a classy finish and many many other players would not have scored.

He has always looked heavy, so did Eremenko. He clearly isn't the player he was 10 years ago but can still do a job for us 

*McCulloch

And yes he can still do a job for us, providing he is spoon fed the ball inside the box. The fact that LM starts him doesn't surprise me considering he is the only experienced striker we have. LM doesn't have much choice selection wise. Boyd of course can still score, and im not writing him off completely, but for all the training and money he's being paid, surely he can keep fit. He is doing a disservice to himself, and fans have a right to voice their dismay at his condition. We sorely need another decent striker who can create opportunites as well as score when its put in front of him, as at the moment, Boyd can only manage the latter.

26 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

he divided opinion and his quick exit disappointed me but he did ensure our survival looking back and signed a player we nearly bagged £1M for.

A player who scored some classic goals that we will be talking about in 20 years. 

A loanee GK that went on to win the World Cup and Golden Glove in the tournament 

A loanee defender that everyone would take back for another spell in a heartbeat.

A winger that if no one comes in and makes an offer for before the window closes id be amazed at, a player with real class. Granted he has shone more under McCulloch but was Clarks signing. 

Did he also make a number of loanee signings who wouldn't get a game with the Talbot ? Without a doubt 

i still think he's a gobs**te but it's unfair to deny the positives he delivered aswell 

Agree with this. 

3 minutes ago, Loanhead said:

*McCulloch how hard is it to get our manager's name right 

Kilmarnock boss Lee McCulloch believes front man Kris Boyd has been "written off at every opportunity".

The experienced striker scored both goals in a 2-0 victory over Annan Athletic in the League Cup on Saturday.

Having joined the club for the third time in June 2015, the 33-year-old has netted 109 goals for the Rugby Park outfit.

"When you have the finishing ability he has, you can't write a guy like that off," McCulloch told BBC Scotland.

"I've seen it for the last 15 years. Kris Boyd has been written off at every opportunity because he's a bit more high-profile than most."

Ayrshire-born Boyd made his first ever appearance for Killie in May 2001 and is one of the oldest players in McCulloch's squad.

"He's always good in the dressing room, and even when he's not scoring," McCulloch said.

"People like to focus on what he's not doing but I focus on what he is doing. He's always talking and organising on the pitch, which helps me, and he's vocal in the dressing room."

Boyd celebrated his 200th top-flight league goal in a 2-1 defeat against Motherwell last season

Kilmarnock have taken six points from three matches so far in the League Cup first round and sit joint top of group E, having sustained a 1-0 derby defeat at Ayr Unitedin their opening match of the competition.

"After the first match we knew we had to put a couple of wins together and we've done that," added McCulloch.

"We played slightly different today and it worked for us."

Winger Chris Burke made his second appearance for the club since impressing as a trialist and signing a one-year-deal.

"It's a bright future," Burke, 33, said. "We've got some great young players here at this football club and we've got a nice balance of some experienced players as well.

"We pass the ball well, we move the ball well, we've got combination play, we're scoring goals, we're all comfortable on the ball and it shows the belief that we have in each other."

Reading this, I get the impression LM doesn't see a major problem. I hope to god he isn't pinning his hopes on Boydie being our main striker this season.... We need mobility upfront which he can't offer us anymore.

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

"He's always good in the dressing room, and even when he's not scoring," McCulloch said.

"People like to focus on what he's not doing but I focus on what he is doing. He's always talking and organising on the pitch, which helps me, and he's vocal in the dressing room."

I like to focus on what he is doing as well. Which is being offside all the time, shouting at his teammates to pressure an opposition player because he is still walking back on from being offside for the 6th time. Generally successfully holds up the ball maybe once per game. When someone is running at the defense I like how much he makes runs, not just for a pass, but to pull away defenders to give the man running on the ball space to move into.... oh wait :5:

Maybe if he stopped trying to focus on other players' positions and organizing them he might do better at his own position

Edited by BlueKillie

I think this is maybe clever management from McCulloch.

Boyd will score goals, he always does, people have also always said he was to big/slow

All the focus being on Boyd's waistline, lets the younger players settle in without getting stick from the "fickle fans".

Whats the latest on us qualifying? Could those with half a brain let the others know where we stand, would a win next week be enough to get through?

Will be going along next week, can imagine the team that starts will be the one that starts the St Johnstone game

Looking back on the game, after drying out...that was yet another different combination in central defence ..has changed from start and during the cup and friendly games 

Even with the limited quality opposition yesterday there did seem a slowness and gaps in some of our defending....

11 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Agreed mate. Had faults but his brief spell was successful.  Saved us from the drop and the players you mentioned have improved our squad.

12 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Absolutely right mate totally agree mate:2::hurrah:

people are slagging Boyd, but some people were on here asking for Akinfenwa (no idea if that is anywhere near the right spelling).

i mainly judge keepers on keeping the ball out of the net and stirkers for putting it in the net.  yes there are other apsects to the game but give me a goal scoring Boyd over David Merdy/Michael Jeffery any day.

27 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

people are slagging Boyd, but some people were on here asking for Akinfenwa (no idea if that is anywhere near the right spelling).

i mainly judge keepers on keeping the ball out of the net and stirkers for putting it in the net.  yes there are other apsects to the game but give me a goal scoring Boyd over David Merdy/Michael Jeffery any day.

I like big Akinfenwa he wouldn't be bullied off the ball but would prefer a goal scoring Boyd as you said 

I think the slagging of Boyd is purely frustration knowing what he has delivered in the past in comparison to what he has in the last couple of seasons 

however as pointed elsewhere it must be taken into consideration the personal issues he has endured in that time and where he has put the club first before himself. 

Before the season starts we should be in agreement that he deserves our backing and a lot less of the criticism 

i don't suggest he should be exempt from people expressing their opinions on his performances. 

If he simply isn't producing the goods on the park then it is fair to question his place in the team. 

I myself have been critical of him and not given fair consideration to the issues he has dealt with. 

He scored twice on Saturday and lets hope that's the kickstart he needs to do the same in league proceedings. 

I don't think McCullochs faith in him is based purely on their previous time at Rankers and more to do with his scoring record throughout his career 

he is 1 goal away from being in our top ten all time goalscorers 

lets give the big man our backing in getting past that milestone and achieving another outstanding record in what has been an exceptional career 

:hurrah:

On 23/07/2017 at 11:42 AM, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Lee Klark did well and made us a few quid