Friendlies

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Really missing pre season friendlies as gives a chance to see the boys down here against English or Welsh opposition....

Probably about the only plus point of friendlies - they benefit exiles and an excuse for a jolly for travelling fans.

By rights, they should be played behind closed doors or for free admission.

Edited by skygod

League cup benefits the teams more i think. Bigger crowds at a higher price than you're average friendly so more money in the door. Should get teams up to speed quicker. Glamour friendlies for us are a thing of the past, last reasonable side that came were Sunderland and Blackburn and i think at least 1 of them were championship at the time.  

1 hour ago, PrestersKtid said:

League cup benefits the teams more i think. Bigger crowds at a higher price than you're average friendly so more money in the door. Should get teams up to speed quicker. Glamour friendlies for us are a thing of the past, last reasonable side that came were Sunderland and Blackburn and i think at least 1 of them were championship at the time.  

When Mr Shearer bagged a hat trick at RP remeber that as a boy amazed that he was playing against us.

bearing in mind at the time he was one of the biggest names in the English game

The benefit of friendlies in my opinion is testing yourself against better sides. Fair enough you can say that Ayr beat us but overall it gives you a better sense of where you are at playing good teams rather than 4 games against lower league opposition. As it stands we go into the new season (as everyone does) not knowing how we are likely to compare.

1 hour ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

The benefit of friendlies in my opinion is testing yourself against better sides. Fair enough you can say that Ayr beat us but overall it gives you a better sense of where you are at playing good teams rather than 4 games against lower league opposition. As it stands we go into the new season (as everyone does) not knowing how we are likely to compare.

This is the thing. as times have moved on better sides have stopped playing down against teams like us and now play each other in foreign places for mega bucks. Better sides don't want to play us. The sides we are facing are actually a good test as they are well up for these games and (bizarrely given we are meant to be the professional side) have spent longer in pre-season preparing for these fixtures. I actually think the league cup restructure was a masterstroke for clubs like us when you look at the friendlies we were playing the years prior to it.

21 minutes ago, trenwick said:

remember that Blackburn game, chris sutton getting moved back to centre half following colin hendry getting injured and shearer scoring a belter of a free kick 

Good memory there mate I just remeber being glued to watching Shearer was only about 13/14 I think 

my memory would probably be better if the early 20s had been a lot calmer and not killed off many a brain cell with thinking I was Liam Gallagher on the drinking front 

I agree with @livvy in that the league cup restructuring was a smart move 

they were bound to get one right eventually though 

do recall that 4 team tournament we had ----was an interesting event at the time -----

as said Money talks now with these  pre season trips that teams go on ....and EPL clubs seldom even play lower league teams in England let alone venture north like they used to 

The Bet fred cup has some disadvantages but overall it is more competitive than the alternative  

8th August 1995

The official opening of all seated Rugby park was celebrated by the visit of English Premiership champions Blackburn Rovers. Watched by a crowd of 10,004, the Lancashire Club won 5-0 with their star striker Alan Shearer scoring a hat-trick.

I remember the game well. Big Bert one of my mates was giving Jason McAteer pelters the whole game. Think it was because Jason was doing all those shampoo adverts at the time. He gave it back though & at the end of the game came across & shook Bert's hand. Can you imagine Killie getting a friendly with the Premiership Champions now.

26 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I remember Shearer playing for Southampton against us before he signed for Blackburn. I'm sure he scored that day, as did a young Mark Roberts i'm sure.

Think we lost 3-2.

Your memory is exemplary mate you're younger than me and I struggle to remeber scorelines from a few seasons ago never mind 25 year ago 

2 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Around 91-92?

I don't know. Too young to remember - first game was in the 93-94 season against Partick (during which a boy fell on the terracing and split his head open). That's all I can remember from the game. Was a season-ticket holder between 1995 and 1999. Saturday was my first Killie game for six years.

17 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Aye but have you not past the age where memory starts to escape you? :9:

Not at all 

if that game was 91/92 I can vaguely remeber Matt Le Tissier playing at RP but very vaguely I would have been 10 

i don't think anyone can remeber anything from that age except being there surely ? 

*disclaimer - still on holiday for another week and have found myself on my 4th beer today without having ate yet 

Edited by Sp3ckyh0td0g81

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I can remember games from a lot earlier than aged 10 clear as a day!

Wish I could 

I can remember being at games but not much more 

one of the most lasting memories of fitba at RP as a mullet is 2 songs being played all the time over the sound system 

Oasis - Roll with it (was always convinced hooky did keepy uppys in time to this) 

and Shy Guy by Diana King 

1 minute ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Wish I could 

I can remember being at games but not much more 

one of the most lasting memories of fitba at RP as a mullet is 2 songs being played all the time over the sound system 

Oasis - Roll with it (was always convinced hooky did keepy uppys in time to this) 

and Shy Guy by Diana King 

Republica - Ready to go

Thin Lizzy - Boys are back in town

Simply the Best - Tina Turner (soon stopped when Huns hijacked it)

Let me entertain you - Robbie Williams