Matej Podstavek

Cill Mheàrnaig

A very exotic signing, a Slovakian who was playing in Lebanon.  I wonder how on earth we got to hear about him, perhaps his agent was touting him round British clubs. Good to get some more height in the team 

That should surely give us enough cover at centre half now. There can't be many more signings left to come, maybe just a striker and one other.  

Edited by historyman

Those videos are from the Lebanese League and the Danish second tier. 

In Lebanon especially, they seemed to relish hitting long, high balls which were meat and drink to him. 

He seems assured enough on the ground and likes a long, diagonal pass but the caveat is that the videos won't show the number of times he was caught in possession or when his passes flew into the stands. 

I'd be wary of drawing any conclusions from such a low level. There has to be reasons why he's been plying his trade in Lebanon. 

Hopefully it was cash. 

You are correct Skygod we can't judge one potential signing on the level they are playing at and ignore it for another. What kind of level are said leagues. I'd imagine with no evidence whatsoever the Danish second tier wouldn't be too far off our own Championship. Lebanon I h ave absolutely no clue.

1 hour ago, piffer said:

What kind of level are said leagues. I'd imagine with no evidence whatsoever the Danish second tier wouldn't be too far off our own Championship. Lebanon I h ave absolutely no clue.

Lebanon are ranked 124 by FIFA and have only ever played a handful of matches against European opposition.

Information on the league is not immediately easy to come by. It's eight years old but this report from The Guardian doesn't paint a great picture.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/apr/30/lebanon-football-league-hezbollah-sectarianism

I really doubt that money would be the attraction. There are few foreign players and you could count the number from Europe on one hand.

If we are talking about players from Eastern Europe, don't forget Leon Panikvar. I know it's easy to do....

Edited by skygod