v Dumbarton (h)

KillieBison

17 minutes ago, killiekosmos said:

Yes, we've got so many paying customers we can afford to "hunt" those who disagree with you. 

Boyd was poor.  He had a few chances first half which came to nothing.  Took his goal well but merely a (large) shadow of his former self.

I didn't say we should hunt those ho disagree with me. I said we should hunt those who abuse our own players, especially at 0-0! Do you disagree?

I really enjoyed 2nd half.  Boyd with a hand in all 3 goals.  Good on him for tackling the full back which led to opener.  When he won it, would've liked to see him get in the box quicker - looked like he'd done his part, but with one up front, had it not been for Burkes late run, there was no one there.

My other observation is that Graham is nowhere near the first team.  I'd get him out on loan for game time.  What a difference with Jones, and having a balance on the two wings.  Jones delivery today was great.  I've thought it was his weakness so hope he can recreate this next week.

Erwin is exciting.  Looked a little rusty at times, but took his goal well (that was a great team goal) and he's only been here 5 mins so will sharpen up.

Today match typified boydy. When he had to run a distance for the ball he struggled but for his goal his experience showed with quick movement. Think he will score goals this season especially with Jones and Thomas whipping in crosses but wither it will please the haters, the dury is still out

20 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

I didn't say we should hunt those ho disagree with me. I said we should hunt those who abuse our own players, especially at 0-0! Do you disagree?

I don't shout abuse at any Killie player but some do.  Customers pay their money and can express their views, so I do disagree with you.  I bet the directors would not agree to chasing away customers who shout at players.  It's not nice but it's football.

First half was pedestrian and they looked to have scored but officials decided it hadn't crossed the line. Second half the pace of Jones created spaces that we weren't creating in the first half and gave the forwards chances to score. Frizzell would be my man of the match but we still lacked midfield guile at times. Dumbarton had a few chances to score in the second half and Jig needs to settle on his first choice defence and stick with it.

Enjoyed that 2nd half. Bringing JJ on made a big difference. Really like Burke in the playmaker role, coming deep for the ball and showing where he wanted his teamates to make runs to. Thomas has a bags of ability and will be a two handful this season. 

Still don't think Boyd should be a starter despite scoring, he's just not mobile enough. Erwin had a bit about him when he came on.

There were a few wee defensive lapses that allowed Dumbarton in but hopefully we can tighten up on that. Promising signs for season ahead though 

The second half was better when we had two outlets on the wings. However both Graham & Wilson are not ready yet and need to be loaned out to get some much needed experience. Body had his moments but there is still no way he should be starting for us he does not offer up enough to justify his inclusion.

The defence is what shocked me the most today. If we defend like today St Johnstone will tear us to shreds especially seeing they have brought back O’Halloran. If we can bring in Greer then I feel we will be alright at CB but its RB im concerned about. O'Donnell was more than once left behind by their wingers.

However it's clear we are a bit more creative this season with the likes of Burke, Thomas and Jones all moving off each other to make us less static in the final third. Erwin made a good start and hopefully should create and supply goals for us in crucial moments.

If we can get a right back and a striker plus Power and Dicker gelling together then I feel we should not be too far away from a decent team.    

Edited by Secret Squirrel

Thought we were lethargic and off the boil first half. 

Second half I felt we were better. Jones introduction opened the game up and meant we weren't relying on just Burke and Thomas.

we were far too open in defence. MacDonald made three great saves and they've hit the post. We need to tighten that up as better teams will punish us.

Midfield is still my biggest concern. Rory was IMO like a lost dog for most of the game. He doesn't seem to know his role in there. Playing Burke in front of the two is fine vs lower league teams but his lack of defensive work is a gamble. Frizzell was my MotM today. He did most of the hard work himself but we can't ask him to do it when the league starts. If Power isn't ready then I'd put Waters in at LB and move Taylor beside Frizz

Thought Boyd showed a willingness today. Unlucky not to get the goal in the first half that was disallowed IMO. He did a fair bit of running and had a hand in the goals. I liked the look of Erwin. Good touch, powerful and a bit of pace. Nice finish for his goal.

Thought Graham was a little hard done by. We kept going to Burke or Thomas first half and didn't use the left enough. Second half we stretched the whole game. I'd agree about him and Wilson going on loan. Competitive football on a regular basis will benefit Graham. We need to send Wilson out to play a position. Versatility is doing him no favours at this stage. A few games at CB, switching to RB then maybe a run in his natural position. Get him half a season in the championship or League 1 playing his favoured role and he'll come on leaps and bounds IMO.

A comfortable win in the end today, Thomas looks really promising and Jones coming on at half time meant they were stretched both sides and eventually we overpowered them. Unfortunately i agree with comments above on Graham, he looked a bit lost, particulary when they had possession, would be good to get him out on loan.

Midfield and full backs were the big concern for me, dumbarton were able to carry the ball forward and get crosses in at will. We didnt defend the crosses too well but then decent crosses are hard to defend and thats why you need to stop them coming in. 

When we won the ball at the back several in the crowd were jumping up and down with frustration that the ball kept going back to broadfoot, "get it furrit" etc, to me it looked like there was very little movement from the central players and there was just nothing on for the forward pass, which was dissapointing. I dont think we are likely to persist with mckenzie and frizzel as a central pairing so maybe not much to worry about.

Erwin looks a little off peak condition, but he can still shift, still had some decent touches and it wasnt outwith the realms of possibility he could have walked off with a hatrick, i think he might be a main man for us this year.

boyd might be slow and unfit, but his perserverance set up the cross for the first, he scored the second, and knocked down for the third, so really you have to say he is well worth his place in the team. 

What a turnaround from the first half. The pace of Thomas and Jones, when they are on the pitch together, really pulls teams apart.

Happy to be proved wrong about Boyd. He held up the ball really well and looked effective when Erwin was beside him.

For all he was on the pitch, the runs, the touches and the awareness from Erwin looked head and shoulders above the strikers we've had for the last few seasons. With Dicker and Kiltie in that team I think we are looking OK.

Big question though, who plays beside Broadfoot? Are we hoping it's the new guy? 

2 hours ago, Dillinger said:

Drab first half, came out better in second and deserved the lead. Happy to see Burke score as he had wanted his foot on the ball and was trying to make things happen. 

Thought decision to take Burke off was strange as he was me of our better players, but as he did against Clyde, McCulloch showed he can change a game - moving to 442 by bringing Erwin on definitely made a difference. Could have had a couple more. 

It has to be said Boyd had so much more space in the middle to operate in once Erwin came on, he was pulling the Dumbarton CB's all over the place with his movement and he still looks a bit off the pace with match fitness. I actually though he sclaffed the shot for his goal a bit from where I was sitting. Could have scored another two as well.  He hasn't half bulked up since he left Motherwell, in a good way may I add. Erwin will do us just fine this coming season.

We were very pedestrian first half, plenty of passing across pitch but no real attack. 

Second half much better, wee frizzell has been great the past 2 games. Touch is phenomenal, hardly wastes a pass and isn't overpowered easily. 

Jones deserved a goal again, some of his runs were majestic, ripping folk apart.

I thought Wilson did well at CB, along with broadfoot won majority in air, but we got ripped open a couple of times and that's worrying when better teams come along.

O'donnell has been poor in all games so far, not done much in attack and poor in defence. Mcculloch screamed at him later on and he wasn't happy. Hopefully not a  bad attitude.

Mckenzie is a weird one, i shout an equal number of for f*** sakes and well dones in a match. At times he gets left for dead but then next moment he's winning a last ditch challenge. 

Burke took his goal well, range of passing was good but is off the pace still, looked knackered when he came off. 

Erwin looks a player, big lad won't be overpowered easily, bit of pace and took his goal well. Doubt we'll play 2 up front but could see him play on his own.