I'm confused

gdevoy

The BBC made a big show of publishing salary breakdown by gender. They called it "pursuing equal opportunities."

Strangely they did not see any inequality of opportunities by place of education. All the top earners come from the Home Counties and went to Private school.  

Now somebody has lost their job for pointing out that a couple of the most highly paid females are Jewish. Apparently that's racism.

So can somebody explain what indications of "inequality of opportunity" which must be highlighted and those which must not? 

"Jews are not generally noted for their insistence on selling their talent for the lowest possible price, which is the most useful measure there is of inveterate, lost-with-all-hands stupidity."

There's a difference between that statement and pointing out they were Jewish.

17 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

You're must be very easily confused. It's racism, by a holocaust denier as well.

I'm not sure it is racism as the Jews are not a race (there's white Jews, Black Jews, Asian Jews etc).

It's anti Semitic and bigoted stereotyping for sure - which you could put it under the broader banner of intolerance of others.

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

All the top earners come from the Home Counties and went to Private school.  

Gary Lineker, Graham Norton, John Humphrys, Huw Edwards, Stephen Nolan, Alan Shearer, Nicky Campbell, Alex Jones, Eddie. Mair, Ken Bruce, Gabby Logan, Laura Kuenssberg, Andrew Neil....

I'm struggling to find too many there from the Home Counties (unless you have expanded your definition of them even further!).

Can't be arsed to look into their education but I'm guessing Lineker probably didn't go to Eton or Harrow.

15 minutes ago, RAG said:

I'm not sure it is racism as the Jews are not a race (there's white Jews, Black Jews, Asian Jews etc).

It's anti Semitic and bigoted stereotyping for sure - which you could put it under the broader banner of intolerance of others.

You're right.

26 minutes ago, skygod said:

Gary Lineker, Graham Norton, John Humphrys, Huw Edwards, Stephen Nolan, Alan Shearer, Nicky Campbell, Alex Jones, Eddie. Mair, Ken Bruce, Gabby Logan, Laura Kuenssberg, Andrew Neil....

I'm struggling to find too many there from the Home Counties (unless you have expanded your definition of them even further!).

Can't be arsed to look into their education but I'm guessing Lineker probably didn't go to Eton or Harrow.

Lost the plot a wee bit earlier. "all" should have read "a very disproportionate number". However I did say "private school" not "Public School".

The guy who wrote the Times article did seem to be a wee bit of looney but the level of uproar it caused seemed difficult for me to understand. We had a tower block fire a wee while back and more than 80 people were burned to death probably because people were more interested in advancing their careers than in the consequences of their actions. Here somebody got offended because of something somebody wrote, as far as I understand factually accurate but clearly intended to rattle cages.  

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Eton and Harrow are as private as you can get!

The term "public school" must be the biggest misnomer ever.

You are absolutely right, you can't get any more private than a Public School. However I did not mean that the BBC presenters been to Eaton or Harrow. That seems to be the reserve of cabinet ministers. I only meant that their parents had paid school fees. 

• 3 months later...

image.png.d20efa8ef4fd25c5073b7a1c60bce2a8.png

I'm confused. I attended a meeting today, and a middle class, middle aged Scottish woman mimicked a Pakistani lady whom she encountered when calling a call centre. I don't know the woman in question, but I thought no one in Scotland was racist.

Then people post stuff like this as well. I don't understand.

16 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I'm confused. I attended a meeting today, and a middle class, middle aged Scottish woman mimicked a Pakistani lady whom she encountered when calling a call centre. I don't know the woman in question, but I thought no one in Scotland was racist.

Well she's either:

a) a racist or
b) just really pissed off that she can get somebody on the phone that can speak English with an accent she can understand.

If it's b) I totally empathise. Our IT helpline is based at Preston and I can't understand a f**king word they are saying to me at times. Does that make me anti-English? 

22 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

The top one is drivel. When we qualified for major championships the crowd still sang, "if you hate the effing English clap your hands", and the ditty about Jimmy Hill being gay.

28 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

It's quite easy to understand - you get the latest version of Clip Studio Paint free for 6 months. It's not difficult!

19 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

The top one is drivel. When we qualified for major championships the crowd still sang, "if you hate the effing English clap your hands", and the ditty about Jimmy Hill being gay.

literally every single person I know that's in the tartan army, including my brother and nephew, are raging anti snp no voters. main reason I hate the tartan army, hypocrite shortbread tin c**ts. and that's just my relatives...xD

1 hour ago, azertyuiop said:

Since when was mimicking an accent racist ?

•  
Get Daily updates directly to your inbo

England women's goalkeeping coach Lee Kendall faces a Football Association investigation after a day when the governing body came under further fierce criticism.

Eni Aluko claimed at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee hearing on Wednesday that Kendall repeatedly spoke to her in a Caribbean accent.

There you go, don't apply for a job with the FA.

Edited by Wrangodog

13 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:
  •  
Get Daily updates directly to your inbo

England women's goalkeeping coach Lee Kendall faces a Football Association investigation after a day when the governing body came under further fierce criticism.

Eni Aluko claimed at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee hearing on Wednesday that Kendall repeatedly spoke to her in a Caribbean accent.

There you go, don't apply for a job with the FA.

Aluko isn't from the Caribbean.

5 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

It doesn’t surprise me that McNaught would post something like that being a Hun and Tory supporter, probably supports England :D