3 home games and the celtic game

kfc_superteam

Not off to the best start so we could do with a few points from the next 3 home games. Hearts game now becomes quite big. They will be in need of points after losing to celtic. We play Celtic the week after that. Could possibly be going into game 4 against hamilton with 0 points. 

League cup game against Celtic on tuesday. Does mcculloch rest some players for the hearts match or do we hope the players can manage both? 

Obviously the season is still early and we have lots of time to build but we don't want to be chasing!

I'd give Power a run out on Tuesday, along with Bell and O'Donnell.  I've a feeling Power will come good, but he'll need game time. We'll never play 442 at Parkhead, so I'd opt for Erwin upfront alone and only 2 from Jones, Thomas and Burke.  Tbh, i think today showed in the SPL that we'll struggle for balance if we play all 3.  JJ looked better when Burke went off.

Edited by killieboy1869

A thought we looked very uncomfortable with the formation we started with. Very little passes and far too many balls booted up front to nobody. Also never seemed to utilise our wide men enough. Erwin coming on and going 442 was a total game changer. Once again from Kilmarnock too late in the day. Personality I thought it was a joke playing Boyd upfront himself at home to Saints. Learn your lessons quickly Lee cause it'll no dae.

1 hour ago, Killied said:

A thought we looked very uncomfortable with the formation we started with. Very little passes and far too many balls booted up front to nobody. Also never seemed to utilise our wide men enough.

Agree with this but think the personnel was the problem. Burke although one of our better players was getting close to Boyd so it was going to need to be a cracker of a pass to find him. They seemed to identify Frizzell as key and always had a man on him. McKenzie looked like he was man marking Davidson when we had possession. With Frizzell being picked up one of the other two needed to drop deep to pick up possession. The only player who did this was Thomas on a few occasions and that threw our shape off. We passed the ball out from the back for most of the game but too often the midfield set up to go long and try for the second ball. The ideas were right but no one was in there orchestrating what was happening. Burke has never been a number 10 so it's a new role for him. McKenzie doesnt know what he is. It seem pretty obvious he's not a CM of any value.

Think we will mix things up on Tuesday.

Bell in goal

O'Donnell, Greer, Broadfoot and Taylor in the back four

Wilson, Frizzell and Power in the midfield

Thomas and Jones wide 

Erwin as the loan striker. 

There is no real point in resting players for the sake of it at this stage. We are a new team and need to get games under our belt to develop as a unit

54 minutes ago, piffer said:

Agree with this but think the personnel was the problem. Burke although one of our better players was getting close to Boyd so it was going to need to be a cracker of a pass to find him. They seemed to identify Frizzell as key and always had a man on him. McKenzie looked like he was man marking Davidson when we had possession. With Frizzell being picked up one of the other two needed to drop deep to pick up possession. The only player who did this was Thomas on a few occasions and that threw our shape off. We passed the ball out from the back for most of the game but too often the midfield set up to go long and try for the second ball. The ideas were right but no one was in there orchestrating what was happening. Burke has never been a number 10 so it's a new role for him. McKenzie doesnt know what he is. It seem pretty obvious he's not a CM of any value.

Think we will mix things up on Tuesday.

Bell in goal

O'Donnell, Greer, Broadfoot and Taylor in the back four

Wilson, Frizzell and Power in the midfield

Thomas and Jones wide 

Erwin as the loan striker. 

There is no real point in resting players for the sake of it at this stage. We are a new team and need to get games under our belt to develop as a unit

I didn't think to this team but three changes Wilson, McKenzie  McKenzie to Erwin, O'Donnell and Bell

Don't see what other options in midfield we have at the moment. Perhaps bring Waters in at LB and shift Taylor to CM. Was it said Higgins could cover CM? That would add a bit of physicality and hopefully decent tackling to the midfield. 

Going with Frizzell, McKenzie and Burke against Celtic will see us lambs to the slaughter. 

Obvious at his age, experience and style of play that Power was signed to add some aggression to our midfield ..so on paper he would seem ideal for the upcoming cup tie .....such a player is badly needed in our midfield and allow Frizzell more space to get on the ball 

however ATM from McCullochs own comments and seen so far .. the player is struggling to meet the fitness levels needed despite having done a pre season and trip to la manga ....hopefully before to long he can show why he was signed 

Edited by Scouser2

It will  be tough not to panic. There's no shame in losing to St Johnstone and hearts, they both have better players. But the pressure will start to build. I think we can do something against hearts though, already looking forward to that game. The right mix of players and some more match sharpness will make a difference. 

Calm down everyone. I've feeling this is going to be a Mixuesque season. We're going to be up and down until our new players bed in and find their feet. These things take time.

Is their actually anyone on the forum who thinks this squad has less ability than the one assembled last season? If McCulloch gets his last couple of signings right, I've a feeling this could go from a good season to a great one.