Kris Boyd on Sky

kfc_superteam

What grinds me is when he talks about all things not related to them, he comes across well. 

So it seems he's deliberating trying to make himself controversial, but instead just makes himself look like an idiot. 

Or perhaps when it comes to his first love, all his brain cells go out the window like a lot of their fans. 

2 hours ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

So it seems he's deliberating trying to make himself controversial, but instead just makes himself look like an idiot. 

Or perhaps when it comes to his first love, all his brain cells go out the window like a lot of their fans. 

Has been a great servant to the club over the years but he's never been the brightest.

A mate of mine from Tarbolton told me his nickname was Trigger after the character in Only fools and horses.

He was indeed fortunate to be able to kick a ball (once upon a time).

Time to go now I';m afraid. while you still retain some integrity.

18 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Has been a great servant to the club over the years but he's never been the brightest.

A mate of mine from Tarbolton told me his nickname was Trigger after the character in Only fools and horses.

He was indeed fortunate to be able to kick a ball (once upon a time).

Time to go now I';m afraid. while you still retain some integrity.

A good goalscorer, but not a great servant imho. A great servant wouldn't have ditched us twice to go and play for Rangers. Maybe once as he was chasing and building his career. But not twice.

To come back to us for a third time makes us look weak and willing to accept being second best. Which we are now seeing with the fact he's showing Killie such a level of contempt through his recent Rangers-related actions. 

Edited by jesper
Word

7 minutes ago, jesper said:

A good goalscorer, but not a great servant imho. A great servant wouldn't have ditched us twice to go and play for Rangers. Maybe once as he was chasing and building his career. But not twice.

To come back to us for a third time makes us look weak and willing to accept being second best. Which we are now seeing with the fact he's showing Killie such a level of contempt through his recent Rangers-related actions. 

Nail hit on head.

Absolutely spot on

OK, he f*****d off twice, but he came back when he had other offers and while he's been here he's given sterling service to the club (recent times excepted of course), but his pandering to Sky and the Huns is now embarrassing and he should be ashamed to continue taking a wage from he club.

As I said earlier, time to go while he still retains some integrity and goodwill from the fans..

Still a great player and servant for the club in the past tho' it's a shame he will now never be remembered as fondly as Monty and Hooky for example..

Kris Boyd is a Killie legend, no doubt about it. His record speaks for itself. I'm glad that I have witnessed his career, as I have witnessed other Club legends like Monty, Wright, Burns, Williamson, Alan Robertson, Sneddon, Kenny Shiels...the list goes on. I don't want to remember Boydy as a caricature of himself but unfortunately that is how it is panning out. I don't like all the rangers pish while we're paying him and would hope that he could show us some respect while he is employed by us. Don't have us remembering you for all the wrong reasons Kris:hurrah: 

17 hours ago, azertyuiop said:

Scoring over 100(!!!) goals makes him a great servant and an absolute legend who will be remembered fondly in the future.

Anything else is just bitterness that will abate with time.

Makes him a great player (at one time)

Great servants don't f**k off twice and come back a third time so unfit it's unreal.

I think the thing about it that is annoying is being a footballer is his primary role and he doesn't get to be a pundit without having done the football bit usually. Now the time he spends being a pundit looks like it's affecting his game. It would be completely fine if he was putting in a shift week in week out and was in good shape. He isn't and that's the main problem. He should be putting more time in the gym or on the training field than filming daft wee programmes for sky!

Last thing I saw on TV last night was Boyd larking about with a mask of today's opponents' manager on. 

Of course, nobody seemed to have made the Killie - Dundee connection; there was only match they were concentrated on. 

First thing I heard on the radio this morning is him live at 07.55 on BBC 5 Live giving his views on the Rangers - Celtic match. It seems he's concerned that the 'Gers could be as low as sixth in the table if results go against them. 

I assume from all this that he's nowhere near the team today. He even made a joke on the Sky Sports show that he hasn't been playing a lot lately. 

I think the penny may be dropping slowly that he's done. There is hardly any pretence any more that he is "Kris Boyd, Kilmarnock striker" - it's "ex-Rangers striker". 

Good luck to him - his show with Commons is embarrassingly amateurish so he will need all the help he can get to make a success if it. 

Edited by skygod

On 13 September 2017 at 7:37 AM, skygod said:

Absolutely right!

But he hasn't and we're not. 

He is trying to serve two masters and is finding it hard to walk the fine line required. 

As I've said before, he has many years ahead of him as an ex-footballer to forge a second career.

For the sake of not waiting a year or two, he is wrecking his reputation. 

He's still very much in the public eye whilst still playing, if he waits till he's retired his chance for media work may have gone. 

Good luck to the guy, he's been great for Killie and if he can forge continued employment beyond his playing days within the game, great. He's done his bit for Killie but ultimately you have to look after number 1. 

And those that are bitter he left twice to go to Rangers need to wake up and smell the coffee: 

employer A gives you a wage for doing a job

employer B gives you a wage x 10 for doing same job

Hands up if anyone would select employer A?

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 7:49 PM, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

My favourite was his answer to a newspaper Q&A interview....

Nickname: Boydy. It's short for Boyd.

44 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

He's still very much in the public eye whilst still playing, if he waits till he's retired his chance for media work may have gone. 

There are lots of examples which disprove this - most of them can be seen on Soccer Saturday - but Chris Sutton disappeared for a number of years between playing and his emergence as a fairly high-profile pundit. 

Not merging the two careers would mean that Boyd could (a) learn how to do the media role properly, and (b) be regarded in his own right as a pundit and not just a player moonlighting. 

He could spend time sorting out his grammar for a start. Sports media seem to afford a licence to mangle past tenses with impunity - "I seen", "he has went", "they have gave", "he has took", "he has threw" etc - but those who prosper and succeed are able to speak correctly. 

The job of a reporter is to tell the viewer or listener what has happened so mastery of past tenses is important. 

He speaks in quick bursts littered with pauses - not for dramatic effect - and sharp intakes of breath which are disconcerting. Eliminate those and it would be a less of a distraction from what he is actually saying. 

Finally, make what he is saying more interesting. There is nothing worse than listening to a so-called pundit who has nothing new or insightful to say. 

If he was serious about a second career he could work on these things off-screen and become the polished article and not just look like someone trying to earn a few extra quid. 

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Good luck to the guy, he's been great for Killie and if he can forge continued employment beyond his playing days within the game, great. He's done his bit for Killie but ultimately you have to look after number 1. 

And those that are bitter he left twice to go to Rangers need to wake up and smell the coffee: 

employer A gives you a wage for doing a job

employer B gives you a wage x 10 for doing same job

Hands up if anyone would select employer A?

In that case, get him out the door and someone in who can contribute to the team.....

1 hour ago, skygod said:

He could spend time sorting out his grammar for a start. Sports media seem to afford a licence to mangle past tenses with impunity - "I seen", "he has went", "they have gave", "he has took", "he has threw" etc - but those who prosper and succeed are able to speak correctly. 

A fairly good description of Charlie Nicholas there.

Actually, when I was watching W1A this week the ex-premiership cross dresser's punditry did remind me more than a little of Kris Boyd .  

4 hours ago, skygod said:

There are lots of examples which disprove this - most of them can be seen on Soccer Saturday - but Chris Sutton disappeared for a number of years between playing and his emergence as a fairly high-profile pundit. 

Not merging the two careers would mean that Boyd could (a) learn how to do the media role properly, and (b) be regarded in his own right as a pundit and not just a player moonlighting. 

The job of a reporter is to tell the viewer or listener what has happened so mastery of past tenses is important. 

He speaks in quick bursts littered with pauses - not for dramatic effect - and sharp intakes of breath which are disconcerting. Eliminate those and it would be a less of a distraction from what he is actually saying. 

Finally, make what he is saying more interesting. There is nothing worse than listening to a so-called pundit who has nothing new or insightful to say. 

If he was serious about a second career he could work on these things off-screen and become the polished article and not just look like someone trying to earn a few extra quid. 

That all sounds very personal against Boyd. Reporters/Journalists tend to have a good grasp of the English language and are articulate. Pundits of the ex-footballer variety are generally not known for this quality; they're there to offer opinion on a profession they are/have been in. 

I think the fact I said that "Sports media seem to afford a licence to mangle past tenses with impunity" shows that it is anything but personal to Boyd.

Listening to Sportsound's open all mics is testament to the fact that shocking grammar is rife.

The point I was making was that those ex-players who stand out and get the best gigs are those who are the most eloquent. If Boyd aspires to be better than another Allan Preston or Derek Ferguson he could be polishing up his act instead of prolonging a moribund playing career.

3 hours ago, skygod said:

I think the fact I said that "Sports media seem to afford a licence to mangle past tenses with impunity" shows that it is anything but personal to Boyd.

Listening to Sportsound's open all mics is testament to the fact that shocking grammar is rife.

The point I was making was that those ex-players who stand out and get the best gigs are those who are the most eloquent. If Boyd aspires to be better than another Allan Preston or Derek Ferguson he could be polishing up his act instead of prolonging a moribund playing career.

"He speaks in quick bursts littered with pauses - not for dramatic effect - and sharp intakes of breath which are disconcerting. Eliminate those and it would be a less of a distraction from what he is actually saying."

I'd say that was personal, harsh and a little pompous. 

The immediacy and drama of open all mics is hardly conducive to the eloquent conveyance of information. Provided we get the information; job done.

He may well be "polishing up his act" in fact I'd say he probably is.

I'm not one to criticise someone for bad grammar, however as you've had a go at others:

"it would be a less of a distraction".....you're hardly Graham Spiers yourself.

43 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

"it would be a less of a distraction".....you're hardly Graham Spiers yourself.

Well done for picking up a typo! :14:

45 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

"He speaks in quick bursts littered with pauses - not for dramatic effect - and sharp intakes of breath which are disconcerting. Eliminate those and it would be a less of a distraction from what he is actually saying."

I'd say that was personal, harsh and a little pompous. 

It's harsh, but true.

What did Boydy say exactly about Rangers being 6th? 

Im in 2 minds about this whole pundit thing. I don't mind it from the view of him looking after his long term career but some of the things he says are really out of order. At the very least he should be saying, light heartedly if he chooses, that he hopes Rangers finish 12th because it would mean we don't.