tic (a) 08/08/17 (bet) fred

CB

Keep calm lads, judge us in a few weeks.

Would be great if we could avoid the comments about huns too, need to stop worrying about where players have been before. It's a small country and most decent players will have played with the OF or, to go back in time, Hearts for example. Just worry about Kilmarnock.

11 minutes ago, Bluetonic86 said:

A cup game against Celtic in Glasgow on a Tuesday night is not going to define our season. Celtic look set to go unbeaten again this year. A few young players were thrown in but those boys would have had so much determination and desire to not be the ones who lose the invincible tag that no one was gonna beat them tonight. 

The manner of the defeat is the sickening thing, it was basically a training exercise for Celtic but the most important thing is the players get it out their system asap and move on to a hearts game on Saturday that is winnable. Might seem hard to believe after that but it is. 

Read the stats for the game on BBC Scotland website. I don't think I have ever seen our team involved in such a one sided game. Even taking into consideration Celtiic's quality, we should still be offering more of a fight. 

Saturday is now really important for everyone's confidence, not just the players 

1 minute ago, Wrangodog said:

We can blame the defence but teams walk through our midfield. We are missing Dicker badly in midfield and Smith is injured again, punt him and bring in somebody else with some dig in midfield.

I think trying Frizzel in there was worth a try. But he's too lightweight. Pushed aside again and again. Which let's teams cut through us far too easily. Trouble is who to put there? It will be Dicker eventually.

Wilson with O'Donnell at right back? I like Wilson a lot but he's not a right back. He's just not. Doesn't have the defence sense to play there at all.

Thought Erwin showed something that hints at him working as a lone striker. But I'd really like to see us try the 442 against hearts. 

Midfield was probably where a lot of the issues are happening. Power isn't what we hoped for for. Frizzell is a luxury player and McKenzie really isn't up to the standard. A championship player. Good in spells but some players in league 2 wod look good in a few games but over a season is the judge. Saturday becomes huge. 2 more defeats will put us in trouble early on

I didn't see the game but if Tierney was pulling the strings while playing at the back for Celtic I'd agree with Wrangodog that the defence isn't the biggest problem. Yes by the sounds of it Greer and Broadfoot didn't cover themselves in glory but even the best defenders in the world are offered proper protection from the midfield. 

We can say that Power was signed to offer protection in this area but it's about getting the players in their to compliment that. It's no good having a good anchor but putting square pegs in round holes in there with him. 

Let's be honest, it was an absolute thrashing and the players and management should hang their heads in shame.

But this result will be forgotten and won't define our season, as someone above pointed out. Also, Celtic, whatever player they field, are always going to be better than any other side in Scotland - defeat was on the cards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm worried about the attitude of this team. Sounds a bit cliche but we should be trying our best in every game - evidently we didn't want to tonight.

Back to my original point, our focus has, is and always will be the league. So the folk coming out again saying LM isn't the right man, signings are awful etc need to realise it's very early in the season. Judge the team and management later on in the season, not now (after 1 league game and a few cup games). 

If we lose convincingly to teams like Dundee, Partick, Motherwell, then we can start to worry.

Forget this game and move on.

Players and management should be ashamed of themselves. That is one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Players could not make a simple 5 yard pass. 

I thought Erwin done well, as did young Graham and at least Burke tried but the rest were brutal. Greg Taylor looks to be going backwards, he cannot seem to make a simple pass. 

For all the optimism during pre season and players phoning fans and whatever, ultimately it will be performances and results that will get fans back to support the team. So far, we've lost to our biggest rivals, lost our first league game (at home, again) and put in an inept performance against a weakend Celtic who pumped us into oblivion. Not exactly convincing anyone. Still, it's early days:3:  

As has been said we go into games against them with hope rather than expectation though surely we deserve at least to go down fighting I agree with the motivation the players get from our management team not any by the looks of it.At least Kenny talked them and us up before we went to Glasgow and had us all believing oh what we would give for some of that!!

2 hours ago, Killie1970 said:

Disappointed that we've crumbled so easily. Yes, Celtic are miles ahead of the rest but that doesn't excuse our inability to put in a performance. Professional footballers living the dream and, pretty obviously, not giving a monkeys f**k about the supporters. We had a worse team ( on paper) last season and didn't  crumble like this against Celtic. If they can't raise themselves for a game like this, they should reconsider their profession. Not good.

Did we not lose 6-1 at Parkhead last year?

I expected to lose, they have better player's and manager. What I didn't expect was the complete lack of fight, at the very least we should be matching them for effort to compensate for the gulf. Manager needs to get this team motivated and show some passion for the club and its support, he seems far too complacent. 

Celtic were always going to beat us, but the really irritating thing is that we can't even do the basics.

You're going to Celtic Park, you're looking to be compact and hit on the counter, yet we can't hold a proper defensive line or defend a corner.

Much like the A*r game, they could have scored from a corner before the one they did, and we looked panicked every time a ball came in.

Then for their third, Griffiths makes a pretty simple run along our defensive line to ensure he stays onside, but the line is such a shambles he just gets a free run on goal!

Should experienced guys like Broadfoot and Greer not know how to move as a unit? Shouldn't they be able to either A) step up or B) drop deeper so he doesn't have the run of the park?!

We'll always have issues of quality, but there's no excuse for not being organised and disciplined, those should be the very basics.

Celtic have far, far better players than we do, and I honestly don't think we were ever getting a result tonight but that performance was utterly pathetic.

9 hours ago, piffer said:

I didn't see the game but if Tierney was pulling the strings while playing at the back for Celtic I'd agree with Wrangodog that the defence isn't the biggest problem. Yes by the sounds of it Greer and Broadfoot didn't cover themselves in glory but even the best defenders in the world are offered proper protection from the midfield..

It was the same as v Saints. That defence is odd, because in general play I think they are fairly decent. They deal with most of the threats from open play. But then there are clangers. Not defending a set price properly. Not keeping an eye on Griffiths.

I agree with you that a stronger midfield would make a big difference. Defence still need to sharpen up, but hopefully that will come. I'd like to see some faith in O'Donnell and that being established as our back 4.

1 minute ago, WIGHT and BLUE said:

We should have appointed a proper manager NOT a trainee manager? 
Did we even advertise the vacancy?
No, sentiment and the cheap option saw 'Jig' get the suit - it may cost us dear.

A home/away drubbing from an ordinary Heaŕts side will see the post-MJ balloon deflate even further.

The position wasn't advertised as such as the players all wanted LM to be the boss.

BB and JK went down the Jim Mann school of leadership and appointed the popular guy.

For me, this is one of the benefits of TIK, to get someone on the board who has a football knowledge; not a waste expert or a fence erector expert