Lucky to Stay Up

kfc_superteam

Not a knee-jerk reaction but having watched us in our betfred outings and the first few games in the league we have not improved at all, in fact we have gone backwards. Last season we didn't score many but having Dicker at center half alongside Ajer and Hendrie made us hard to beat. The league was going to be much more difficult this year with other teams strengthening, and Hamilton are Hamilton.

We needed to raise the quality and initially from the signings it looked like we had done that. Sadly the cold reality is that 3 of our big signings Broadfoot, Power, O'Donnell look not up to the standard, our long serving youngsters are average, probably good championship players(McKenzie, Iain Wilson, Frizzell). We have no movement, no belief and no midfield.

Jones and Thomas look to be our best players but we seem to rely on them running and making something happen. After a worrying start it doesn't look to be getting any easier so we may need to win our game at Hamilton and at least a point with Motherwell to stay in touch.

There is usually one team (Dundee Utd, Inverness) who have done well in previous seasons that suffers a bad start and never recovers. This could very well be us. I don't see us tactically or player for player any better than any of the other 12 teams.

Hopefully we still have a couple of players to bring in and they are better than what we have, A midfielder who can help the defense is a must

If that wasn't a fluke Accies got today we are in trouble. The players Jig has brought in are awful with the exception of maybe Dom and Gordon Greer. How anyone thinks this squad is an improvement on last season is a mystery to me. I was all for Jig getting the job but it's obvious he needs an experienced assistant as it's just not working with him and Leven. We are likely to be going into the Hamilton match with nothing from 3 home games and that game will be massive for our club. I will be delighted if proved wrong but believe best we can hope for with the current squad is to finish above Hamilton and hope it's enough, I would take it right now.

I agree the intake over the summer is well below SPFL standard, low as it is.

I'm really disappointed in Jig's choice of his old pals when we needed quality.

Today we played one of the poorest teams in the SPFL. Çeptiic next up and we will consider looking by less than 4 goals a success.

It's disappointing to hear so much criticism of Wilson and Frizzell in particular. These are two of our young stars and yet again they are being asked to hold things together because other older experienced players have let us down. And they are being asked to do it in new roles they don't seem comfortable in. Wilson has played only a few games at RB and Frizzell more suited to a more advanced midfield role than he's currently occupying. 

Far too early to make any kind of serious judgement ......but there are some worrying signs and flaws in McCulloch management so far that he needs to learn from and improve ASAP ...

Not bringing in quality in central midfield in his 11 Summer signings so far is a main one added to by chopping and changing the formation so quickly this season .....suggests to some confusion when clarity is needed .

do hope a least the first issue is addressed this week and we see improvements in our team over the next few weeks as I still want to see LM succeed at RP and to enjoy this season as a fan (we have had more than enough non enjoyable years and poor managers recently) 

Edited by Scouser2

Agree that it is too early to make judgments. We have now lost narrowly two weeks in a row. Had Boyd's effort which hit the ball last week gone in, and McKenzie's 2nd half chance today could be sitting on 4 points rather than 0. Admittedly haven't played well in either game, other than a 20 minute patch against St.Johnstone, and there certainly looks to be an imbalance in the side-Wilson at RB, Frizzell having to play as a holding midfielder, chopping and changing formations etc. Clearly if we had a natural sitting midfielder or two in the side at present it would allow Frizzell eg to play his natural role further forward.

A couple of signings which appear 'strange' are O'Donnell and Higgins. Neither seems in favour at the moment. LM had previously appeared to talk both up as more than merely 'cover'. Whether they will now step up against Celtic remains to be seen. It is a worry that Power seems to meanwhile have been the holding midfielder signed, yet appears either not fit enough yet, or not up to speed. Until the midfield is properly sorted out we will clearly continue to struggle in the interim.

Hamilton's result today is a bit of a worry. However could also say that Dundee look in a bit of trouble. Until the first round of fixtures is played, and indeed when we have a fully fit squad to operate with, we can see where we are. Admittedly we have to pick up soon, particularly by beating Hamilton. Can't see any side being left adrift for a bit of time yet, if at all. Still, a bad start can be difficult to catch up later in the season.

There were 2 threads 10 days ago saying how optimistic they were and where we'd finish ( 6th was the consensus ) . Probably more that I missed . Now we are totally goosed . 

Having said that we have been jolly lucky to stay up over the past 5 seasons . During all that time our football has been guff and we are often made to look like fools on "our" pitch. 

Who knows , maybe we'll get lucky again .