Starting 11 for celtic

ki11ie

9 hours ago, DuncD said:

I replied to Joe giving an option above. 

Also, Is Hawkshaw fit or just out picture? He normally puts in a shift so is also a potential option in there? I just think we need to try something different in the middle of park.

I think he is fit but will need to see if wee Deano is in the team tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the captain tonight. Personally i think the wee guy has gone back the way in the last year. Was it this time last season he started v Motherwell and got injured? That was a real shame as he was playing well. Deano is a worker but unfortunately is quite similar to our other lightweight midfielders. 

From experience never have too high expectation of seeing Killie win --especially in certain games like this one -..but you do want to see at least some semblance of a team that has been properly organised, have a coherent plan and are motivated to be competitive from the start --whoever is selected

22 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I didn't watch the game last night. However, I did find it amusing that BBC reported that Celtic had only three shots on goal, yet managed to score five goals. <tongue_in_cheek_mode_on> So as long as we don't score any own goals, we might be able to keep it down to double figures. <tongue_in_cheek_mode_off>

It is hard to believe a team who out shot & out cornered Celtic managed to lose 5-0.....Screenshot_20170817-115958.png.d21565140312f9b173598eeccc709825.png

I'm not saying this is how I'd play it but I could see McCulloch going with something similar.

Macdonald

O'Donnell - Wilson - Greer - Waters

McKenzie - Power - Frizzell - Smith - Taylor

Erwin

I could see us going something like that to allow us play essentially two banks of defence and defend for our lives for 90 minutes. I can't see him playing either Thomas or Jones because they don't contribute defensively. Neither Power or Smith look like they can hold possession well enough for a defensive formation to work - nevertheless I can see us trying it.

Here's my team:

GK - MacDonald

RB - O'Donnell

CB - Wilson & Greer

LB - Taylor

DM - Smith (lying deeper)

CM - Frizzell (roaming forward)

LM - Jones

RM - Thomas

CAM - Burke

ST - Erwin

Either that or play 4-5-1 and drop Frizzell or Burke for Power and clog up the midfield, defending for our lives.

Edited by AyrshireKillieG97

50 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I'm not saying this is how I'd play it but I could see McCulloch going with something similar.

Macdonald

O'Donnell - Wilson - Greer - Waters

McKenzie - Power - Frizzell - Smith - Taylor

Erwin

I could see us going something like that to allow us play essentially two banks of defence and defend for our lives for 90 minutes. I can't see him playing either Thomas or Jones because they don't contribute defensively. Neither Power or Smith look like they can hold possession well enough for a defensive formation to work - nevertheless I can see us trying it.

Waters was pretty bad v Berwick on Tuesday night so I'd be fearing for his career if he lines up v Sinclair or Forrest etc.

34 minutes ago, AyrshireKillieG97 said:

Waters was pretty bad v Berwick on Tuesday night so I'd be fearing for his career if he lines up v Sinclair or Forrest etc.

I know, I was there. I was just looking at ways he could put someone on the left of midfield who can defend which I think McCulloch will do. Personally I'd throw Thomas and Jones in and have a go but I think we'll set up to be as defensive as possible.

I thought Burke was one of our better players first half against St Johnstone. It was surprising he was subbed but I think we've been a better team without him. Even on Saturday we improved without him on the park. 

I would leave him out at the moment he's a luxury we can't afford.

On 14/08/2017 at 0:15 PM, gdevoy said:

I'd drop Erwin and put MacKenzie in as the loan striker. He has the pace and skill to torment Ceptic's defenders and is doing nothing in midfield.

I'd leave Burke but Thomas and Jones are too lightweight and Frizzel is lost in thee. We need big strong ball winners in front of the back four. 

Aw here mate, how long does McKenzie get to do f**k all in every position? Hadn't read whole thread yet, I see it's been covered fella. People need dropped, like McKenzie, doesn't matter who comes in we're getting pumped, it's experience for any youngster. Everybody settling into a settled team doesn't work if they've been s**t.

Edited by WWWWnnnnnn!
Hadn't read whole thread!

2 hours ago, Night hawk said:

Id start with mcdonald, bell and mackay in goal then any 8 outfielders across the back...........#justbants

I was thinking of some emergency loan signings to go along the lines of - McDonald, Bell, McKay, Woodman, Combe,  Marshall, Lekovic,  Geddes,  McCulloch, Stewart. I'd leave Jones up front to run like hell toward the Celtic goal if the keepers can get the ball to him.

Seriously though, whoever plays has to be instructed to get in about Celtic and niggle away at them to let them know they're in a game. Still amazed that Celtic gave away more fouls than us last week even though we had only had the ball about 20% of the time.

Edited by BigRonFaeTheQueenVic
Typos

14 hours ago, historyman said:

Strange that a few people are seeing Smith as a possible answer to our current difficulties. 

I thought he was poor in most of the games he played last season, slow and usually having to resort to giving away fouls. 

Just to reiterate, I don't think that - that's just the way I can see McCulloch setting up.

16 hours ago, gdevoy said:

So what would be the strategy for keeping Griffiths out of the game?

Looking through the options available, you have to admit my "brickies" idea is starting to gain traction.

Personally, I think they're unstoppable - they're so far ahead of the rest of the league at the minute there isn't much we can do. You could remove the goal entirely and I could still see them putting 2 or 3 past us. I hope I'm completely wrong about all of this.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, historyman said:

Strange that a few people are seeing Smith as a possible answer to our current difficulties. 

I thought he was poor in most of the games he played last season, slow and usually having to resort to giving away fouls. 

I think the answer is that we've been so bad that a player who has been missing through injury has their reputation improve by default. Of course when you have Smith's injury record (and not just with us) your reputation can go orbital in these circumstances. To emphasise the point even though the guy's hopeless and a waste of a wage I'm glad he's back.

Would now go with...

----------------------------MacDonald------------------------

-O'Donnell-----------Higgins----Greer----------Smith

------------------------ Spencer---Wilson----------------

--Frizzell-------------------Burke--------------Taylor---

------------------------------Erwin---------------------------

Subs: Bell, Brophy, Boyd, McKenzie, Jones, Hawshaw,Thomas

Obviously no idea what Spencer might be like, but just have to try something different in midfield, and still think Wilson's best position is holding mid. If Smith starts, think it has to be at LB, with Taylor and Frizzell wide to track back. If we could win some of the ball in the middle Burke could be useful to play some passes through to Erwin. RB not convinced by O'Donnell either but don't see any other choice. Higgins would have to be CH if Wilson is in mid.

However think LM will go with...

--------------------------MacDonald--------------------------

-O'Donnell-----------Wilson----Greer-----------Smith---

--------------------------McKenzie--Frizzell-----------------

---Thomas--------------- Burke-------------------Taylor---

-----------------------------Boyd--------------------------------

McDonald 

Wilson       Greer      Higgins       Smith

Thomas Frizzell McKenzie Burke Taylor

Erwin     

Subs - Bell, Brophy, Jones, Boyd, Watters, Spencer, O'Donnell