Kiosk Staff

MrTumnus

Surely being able to count should be essential.

£2 + £2 + £2.20 + £2.20 after a few attempts, out comes the phone and adds it up on the calculator - £9.40.

Then had the cheek to tell me I was wrong when I corrected her. Needless to say the queue at her side of the kiosk was massive.

1 minute ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Mainly young lassies and boys of school age earning some extra pocket money on a Saturday, I would suggest it is extra training and a calculator/till they need rather than ridiculing on a public messageboard.

When I was at school they had this clever trick they taught us called mental arithmetic.

Not getting at any of the kiosk staff involved more the general social trend to become completely dependent on technology.

Sorry Gaz, but I think Mr Tumnus is right. They are mostly 2nd or 3rd year students and to be unable to add 2+2+2.20+2.20 is basic arithmetic. It probably says more about the society we live in than the kids themselves. I bet they all know how an IPhone works of course!

Edited by CBFC
Oops. But hey, life is a Gas.....

Kids these days...

Hopefully their employer, like many others across the country, recognise that their employees require basic mathematical skills and either (a) hire those that have them; or (b) provide training.

Highlighting that they cannot do basic arithmetic is fine. Being bad at maths should not be a badge of honour and we, as members of society, should do our best to make sure that this is the case. You wouldn't say "I can't read", so why are folk proud to say "I can't do maths"?

Totally agree with Maths and others.

That's basic arithmetic and true cases of dyscalculia are few and far between, AFAIK.

I've even heard other teachers saying, "I don't do numbers..." like it is acceptable. A badge of honour, as the man said. Imagine if someone said, "I don't really do reading and writing..."

However, there is the possibility maybe the kids were nervous, and with the queue getting longer and longer they panicked? We've all been there when the simplest words/actions escape us at just the wrong time.

1 minute ago, Mogwai said:

However, there is the possibility maybe the kids were nervous, and with the queue getting longer and longer they panicked? We've all been there when the simplest words/actions escape us at just the wrong time.

Tougher gig than you'd think doing that under pressure, especially if you're as young as the kiosk staff with loads of people in a queue in front to serve!

Remember half times only 15mins, so is a pressure job, like last orders in a busy bar - kiosk staff won't be as well trained.

9 minutes ago, Mogwai said:

Totally agree with Maths and others.

That's basic arithmetic and true cases of dyscalculia are few and far between, AFAIK.

I've even heard other teachers saying, "I don't do numbers..." like it is acceptable. A badge of honour, as the man said. Imagine if someone said, "I don't really do reading and writing..."

Dyscalculia affects one in twenty, dyslexia one in ten. 

Learning barriers like those mentioned above are far higher in Ayrshire than the rest of the UK and most folk with dyslexia will show traits common with dyscalculia. 

If that is the case, it's actually not just about mathematics and arithmetic. It's concentrating, memory, interpretation of symbols and just a basic grasp of what money to receive and give. 

I doubt anyone working in club has a formal diagnosis of it as it usually just falls under dyslexia bracket. 

I approached club after an event at Ayrshire college to put support in place for hotel and club staff with ASN as we do similar for Celtic. I didn't even get the decency of a phone call or email back... and I had already secured the funding for the technology. 

Even tried to speak to Paul DG to see if we could support some of the community work the club too. Nothing!

Anyway even if it's dyscalculia a calculator is only going to make a small difference. 

That has opened my eyes.

I had never heard of Dyscalculia (hope I spelled that correctly Samo...lol) until today. Also interesting that Ayrshire has a higher percentage than the rest of the UK. Why is that?

Bullitt, you make interesting comments re the club and the hotel.

As a member of the senior generation....well in relative terms, I feel a sense of duty to help our younger generation improve their communication skills. Perhaps this is something the Community or Trust can help with?

44 minutes ago, CBFC said:

That has opened my eyes.

I had never heard of Dyscalculia (hope I spelled that correctly Samo...lol) until today. Also interesting that Ayrshire has a higher percentage than the rest of the UK. Why is that?

Bullitt, you make interesting comments re the club and the hotel.

As a member of the senior generation....well in relative terms, I feel a sense of duty to help our younger generation improve their communication skills. Perhaps this is something the Community or Trust can help with?

Couldn't agree more mate 

Without leaping to a diagnosis of dyscalcula I'd suggest as someone else pointed out that it's more a symptom of being young and having difficulty coping with the pressure of a huge queue of people - many of whom have absolutely no patience and rip the piss out of weans' adding up skills - than anything else. A working till doesn't cost a huge amount of money and would no doubt help things along for everyone concerned.

I'm a secondary school maths teacher by the way, so almost certainly the root cause of all these weans not being able to add up like they did back in your days.

Edited by aumgn

Went to Old Trafford last season with my son as part of his birthday. Kiosk system was about the customer. Easy decision making, clear signage, and simple trade up at tills. No more than 12 customers to each queue. All key items at £2 each and boards above kiosk clearing showing prices and suggestions up to 6 mix option for £12. At till, clear signage for limited items for less. Ch'ing, Ch'ing all the way to the bank. Said to my son at the Hearts game how poor the service was. Slow Queue, servers walking from till area to till area and general poor organisation. A4 Price list for customers taped to noticeboard and not the easiest to read. Asked for tea and a minute later girl chewing gum whispers black or white. No idea what she was saying with milk sticks on front counter. 3 attempts later got our food and no eye contact or thanks. Going back over years at Rugby Park, I felt like a customer and came back after NAPM and it shows how he took us all for granted. Time to and for  change and make our kiosks the best for customer service and put us first, proper signage, train the staff correctly, and Ch'ing the club will benefit. This is not a moan but an easy fix and start getting the customer experience back. 

My lad works at the club and if I find out he cannae add 4-5 figures in his head then he'll be gettin some homework to do!!  

Seriously though, some folk just aren't wired to handle mental arithmetic ... the same as some of us can't draw or pick up another language etc.  I can do mental arithmetic and would rather work a sum out than use a calculator ... but FFS don't ask me to write a story or draw a bowl of fruit.  

This is just drivel and has no place in the Killie section of the forum. Nothing to do with the team, just getting on at a wee lassie because she probably got flustered serving a customer and trying to do maths on the spot and went with a calculator instead. 

And @Killieboy1980 actually singling out individuals and saying they're not the brightest is poor form, they're kids working a shift at a weekend to pick up some extra money, think it's harsh posting comments about them on a message board. 

53 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

This is just drivel and has no place in the Killie section of the forum. Nothing to do with the team, just getting on at a wee lassie because she probably got flustered serving a customer and trying to do maths on the spot and went with a calculator instead. 

And @Killieboy1980 actually singling out individuals and saying they're not the brightest is poor form, they're kids working a shift at a weekend to pick up some extra money, think it's harsh posting comments about them on a message board. 

Totally agree. 

26 minutes ago, Killieboykfc said:

Get a grip you had to wait an extra 10 seconds whilst someone adds up the price of your pies. 

Or better still, add the cost of 2 Pies and a Coffee in the 5-10 mins you spend in the queue , then give em the correct change if possible.  Everyone gets served quicker and you get back up the stairs quicker!

If you'd a "No Change Given" Tea bar for example in the East stand, everyone would soon start bringing the correct money, with the twice as fast service.

Edited by RAG

9 hours ago, MrTumnus said:

Surely being able to count should be essential.

£2 + £2 + £2.20 + £2.20 after a few attempts, out comes the phone and adds it up on the calculator - £9.40.

Then had the cheek to tell me I was wrong when I corrected her. Needless to say the queue at her side of the kiosk was massive.

Boy who sits in front of me asked for 2 Killie pies and watched the girl add up £2.20 + £2.20 on a calculator.