1 or 2 new players?

Mogwai

4 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

The dicker/kiltie situation hasn't helped matters. It appears power was signed as back up for Dicker, O'donnell being pants at RB has meant we've deployed wilson there so even less of a midfield. Mckenzie will be a hot and cold player all his career, great some weeks then chronic the others. Frizzell can be quality but needs experience beside him.

I'm convinced that's McCulloch's dilemma, hoping when they come back his midfield will be sorted.

The problem being by the time we have them both back playing, up to speed, we could be so far detached around the bottom it might be too late to avoid another season of dodging relegation.

Was saying this at the game on Saturday.  McCulloch seems to have built the squad with multiple options for each position, just unfortunate that for defensive midfield it consists of Dicker, Power, Wilson and Smith.  Been seriously caught out with Dicker being injured and Power not being up to speed.  Personally I feel a lot stems from Boyd being the first player on the teamsheet.  When I looked at the team for Saturday my first thought was that he must be playing Erwin wide left as there's no way he'll go with a central two of Frizzell and McKenzie against a team as physical as Hearts.  Burke also seems to do his best work in the attacking midfield role where he seems to instinctively know how to play diagonal balls in behind the full backs for the wingers to attack.  We lost a bit of balance on Sat playing Burke as opposed to Jones and Thomas who can run at defenders.  

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

That's exactly my point, I've yet to read any comment from McCulloch where he directly mentions a lacking in midfield, seems to me, apart from Power, his signings suggest it's the defence & forward areas he's far more concerned about.....

Lack of midfield is no concern if you tactics consist of a long punt at every opportunity.

I think we need to move Jamie Mac on to free his wages and get someone in... he's now dispensable with Bell there.

I also wouldn't be overly fussed if McKenzie left although I think with two decent midfielders alongside him he could improve. 

Steven Smith? We actually miss him but his injury record we can't support. 

Three potentially decent earners who could make way for two strong central midfielders. There will be good free centre mids out there. 

Fyvie was on a free and he would have instantly improved our team. 

Henderson on loan instead of an inexperienced 19 year old from Celtic would have been a welcome signing. 

We can not wait for Kiltie and Dicker returning as we could be points adrift at that stage. 

I said weeks ago I'd like to see Taylor in midfield for added dig even as a temporary fix. 

The striker McCulloch is leaning towards is most probably Brophy. But as others have said, the midfield dilemma sticks out like a sore thumb, especially with the absence of Dicker and Power's fitness - that needs to be his priority.

If there is a bit of manoeuvrability in the wage budget, then hopefully he does go all out to sign an experienced midfielder AND Brophy.

But right now, he really needs to turn his attention to central midfield. A quick fix loan deal or the signing of a decent free agent is what he should be browsing for.

1 minute ago, AyrshireKillieG97 said:

The striker McCulloch is leaning towards is most probably Brophy. But as others have said, the midfield dilemma sticks out like a sore thumb, especially with the absence of Dicker and Power's fitness - that needs to be his priority.

If there is a bit of manoeuvrability in the wage budget, then hopefully he does go all out to sign an experienced midfielder AND Brophy.

But right now, he really needs to turn his attention to central midfield. A quick fix loan deal or the signing of a decent free agent is what he should be browsing for.

Mark Hill from Celtic Loan

12 minutes ago, Merk said:

In what way do you think we miss him?  Is it the needless fouls or poor distribution?

We are a poorer side without him in central midfield than we are just now. Absolutely no doubt.

He's not the answer... but as it stands if we didn't sign another player before window shuts then Smith would be a regular in midfield.

On 16/08/2017 at 10:29 AM, killiefife said:

I wonder if we are holding back signings until we see how Celtic get on in the Champions League Qualifier. I assume if they get a result over the two legs and qualify for the Group Stages we will again receive a decent payment from UEFA which could finance a couple of new faces.

With each Scottish Premiership club standing to gain £365k, increased by £100k on previous years under UEFA's new fairer payment system, if Celtic do qualify for the group stages, surely we would be able to afford a couple of decent signings for midfield......

Edited by C4mmy31
Grammar

3 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

With each Scottish Premiership club standing to gain £365k, increased by £100k on previous years under UEFA's new fairer payment system, if Celtic do qualify for the group stages, surely we would be able to afford a couple of decent signings for midfield......

Where did that value come from? 365K is a fair whack for a club like us.

57 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

Pumping it into the youth system is fine but i'm assuming there is some way of fiddling the books to get that money for other areas?  

Clubs just need to divert existing budget for youth development to other area(s).

Edited by skygod