3G Pitch

Chrisfrom3tfm

32 minutes ago, skygod said:

Artificial surfaces get a bad rap. What they do is provide players and managers with easy excuses and pundits with worn clichés. This writer, given the option, would prefer to play on artificial pitches, they are more forgiving when trying to control the ball. The downside is the pesky pellets, of course.

Like a grass pitch, however, you get good artificial pitches and you get bad ones. Motherwell have shown the quality of grass pitch you can have if you treat with care and affection. If you fail to maintain an artificial surface it becomes worn and sticky. It requires regular brushing and watering and that is just the simple tasks in its upkeep.

Which brings us to Rugby Park. We can only speculate to how much care and affection it is given, but these last few weeks have been a cry for help. If it could talk it wouldn’t say much due to all the screaming.

Players just don’t seem to enjoy playing on it. Behind closed doors some Killie players have expressed their frustration with it. It is worn, with both goalmouths appearing to have been through a long and wild winter, while the bounce on the pitch is so unpredictable that players are either hesitant to attack the ball or simply, and comically, running underneath it.

Lee McCulloch has talked about a desire to play a passing game with his youthful side. It will be tougher with such a surface.

(The Scotsman)

So. The Scotsman are laying the blame at Big Gal for not maintaining it?

1 hour ago, CB said:

Tweets!? Oh noes! The ill informed claptrap of a bunch of know nothings will doom us all.

19,000 out of a population of 5 mil. That's a fairly weak stock.

Yeah, everything is rosy....

Even the guys on Sportscene were slating it. 

Feel free to provide evidence in support of it. 

6 hours ago, skygod said:

Yeah, everything is rosy....

Even the guys on Sportscene were slating it. 

Feel free to provide evidence in support of it. 

Sorry. I'm not sad enough to set up google alerts, or scour the internet to hunt for articles.

Never said everything was rosy. Anyone who has actually asked me for my thoughts on it have been told that i don't like fact we'd chosen a surface for rugby too. (slightly longer fibres & more infill) A football specific one is what should have gone down from the very start.

I've even said it on here. But, thanks for puting words in my mouth.

I noticed you completely ignored the point about the article you did hunt down/get fired to you via google alerts of the passive aggressive laying of the blame at whoever maintains the surface.

There was no need to reply. 

Had you read the piece properly, you will see that they say they can only speculate at the amount of care and affection the pitch receives. 

Fairly lambasted the groundman there, eh? 

Describing everyone who uses twitter as "a bunch of know nothings" sounds awfully defensive and offensive. 

If you haven't read the tweets, how do you know they are "ill-informed claptrap"?

11 minutes ago, skygod said:

There was no need to reply. 

Had you read the piece properly, you will see that they say they can only speculate at the amount of care and affection the pitch receives. 

Fairly lambasted the groundman there, eh? 

Describing everyone who uses twitter as "a bunch of know nothings" sounds awfully defensive and offensive. 

If you haven't read the tweets, how do you know they are "ill-informed claptrap"?

Most of twitter is. Mine included. 

Talking about reading things, you'll have seen it was framed as a question. I was asking for your take on it. 

Apologies - it looked like a rhetorical question. 

Problems with the pitch run much deeper than the maintenance by the groundsman. 

There is no proper watering system; it seems to be worn out in places; the bounce is uneven. 

No amount of brushing is going to remedy those. 

I not sure that the length of the fibres is a factor, to be honest, given that good football teams seem able to pass the ball effectively. 

The pitch is the most embarrassing and humiliating decision our new board has ever made.  I blame Bowie for the state of it as I've heard he didn't want to spend the money on a proper water sprinkling system to maintain it.  Look at the state of it, a complete disgrace.

Get it ripped up ASAP its completely tinpot and reflective of the tinpot joke club we currently are.

26 minutes ago, skygod said:

Apologies - it looked like a rhetorical question. 

Problems with the pitch run much deeper than the maintenance by the groundsman. 

There is no proper watering system; it seems to be worn out in places; the bounce is uneven. 

No amount of brushing is going to remedy those. 

I not sure that the length of the fibres is a factor, to be honest, given that good football teams seem able to pass the ball effectively. 

Watering is supposed to help with the stickyness, but, the lack of proper watering system makes that difficult. The fibres are made from recycled polythene, if you've ever stepped on a wet poly bag, you'll know you can easily lose balance & skite along the pavement. 

Shorter fibres, should reduce the flatness of the fibres, letting the ball travel 'truer' along the top, rather than, if correctly watered, skiting along flat polythene. The flatness can best be seen, in the goalmouths. On a standard surface, that would be the bit with no grass, just dirt.

I mentioned this within earshot of folk who might be able to do something about it, while I was trying to find a new seat during the close season. To remove the top layer & replace it with a football specific one.

Dare I say that it doesn't seem to affect other teams, simply because they are better than us? The two decent performances from us so far this season, have been against lower ranked teams. Better teams/players can make the needed adjustments to their game to overcome the 'rugby surface'

For general consumption.

Those looking to just 'get it tae' It's not as easy as that. Hence why simply replacing the top layer with one with shorter fibres should be the immediate way ahead. In my opinion.

This video:

shows how it was installed. That black stuff, under the shockpad, is tarmac(probablt the reason we don't have a proper watering system. Have we been in touch with the company regarding compensation for tarring over the sprinklers?) All that needs to be ripped up, before we can start again. If we don't, any grass surface put on top of it, will be as hard as the stadium in Monaco was. Built on the roof of a carpark.

It will take longer than a close season to do it. Properly. Without giving us the 'grass' surface straight out of 1999/2000. Not forgetting redoing the whole undersoil heating system so that it actually works.

500k to go synthetic? Could easily be twice that to go back.

That's not to say it couldn't, or shouldn't be done at some point in the future. We'd need to not play at home until about the October holidays. If the summer it was done in was as big a washout as this one. But. If we were looking to appease the rabid, get it tae brigade, the best way to go, without disrupting the season, would, in my view, be to replace the top layer with one with shorter fibres.

I'd not put it right up to the walls of the stands either. It looks a right struggle at times for wheelchair users, that aren't built like tanks, to get any momentum up on it. Instead, I'd re-cover a reasonable area in the middle. Bring back the clay round the edges, and place watering points on that.

Or, you could make the fibres shorter right now by turning Yeti loose with cutting blades attached to the tractor.

Just a few rambling thoughts. You can take them, leave them, dish out a billion red cards. What you shouldn't do, is blindly call for it to get tae, without knowing what that entails.

4 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Why does our away form seem so much better than at home if all these teams are just better than us? 

Ps get it tae...

Lack of moany-faced c**ts in the stands giving them static at every turn. Better class of support away from home... :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, CB said:

Lack of moany-faced c**ts in the stands giving them static at every turn. Better class of support away from home... :ph34r:

I'm not sure you could make it through to this level without encountering moaners. It's certainly not my experience of kids football. 

There has to be more to it than that. 

If we were to get a truly top class surface then we'd need to do the hybrid pitches that the likes of Murrayfield, Wembledy, Old trafford have. 

It's a grass pitch but has synthetic fibres installed aswell to allow the natural grass to bind too. Stronger and less chance of cutting up. Pretty sure it's a million quid plus to install tho.

4 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

If we were to get a truly top class surface then we'd need to do the hybrid pitches that the likes of Murrayfield, Wembledy, Old trafford have. 

It's a grass pitch but has synthetic fibres installed aswell to allow the natural grass to bind too. Stronger and less chance of cutting up. Pretty sure it's a million quid plus to install tho.

and you need they big gigantic sunbeds to keep it up to scratch aswell, we have 1 big hose and sprinkler the now

LM - "The sun's out so it will be a sticky surface and difficult to get the ball moving about quickly".

FFS! Rip the effing thing up or stop moaning about it! How do you expect good players to sign when the manager says that it's a difficult pitch to play on?

Should the fans check the weather forecast before deciding whether it's going to be a spectacle worth watching?