Penalty?

kfc_superteam

2 hours ago, cammy_boy said:

I was miles away and behind the incident but my thoughts were mad and pointless challenge but didnt look like a penalty. But like I said I was in no position to make any real call on it. 

If you read McCullochs post match interview on the BBC, he thought it was a stonewaller.....

Smith had a great game for the 1st hour but he was knackered by then and visibly slowing down and not covering our fullbacks as he had been in the 1st half.  If I could see that then our manager should have too.If he had subbed him before his booking or immediately afterwards we would probably be celebrating a win.

Smith gave away the penalty but McCulloch gave away the points.

Smith is in there in a role where he's breaking up play and holding together our shape. We've actually looked better with him in the team than without.

However, he has had no preseason and is coming back from yet another injury. He's being forced to play more than he's ready for as we have no options in midfield. The tackle he made was sheer stupidity. The player is leaving the box with the ball. Wait until he does so before risking a challenge, an average primary school player will have the sense to do that.

Steven smith as an absolute liability of a player, rash tackles, slow tracking back, poor position sense. I have been vocally against him since his debut against Dundee  opening day humping. 

He hides, he drops his head (at one point after the penalty he was running about literally with his head in his hands because he knew what he had done). He never motivates, he is hardly ever seen to encourage or even Be vocal. 

In 15 professional seasons he has averaged less than 13 games a season. Give him the Benifit of the doubt and average it over 12 seasons for when he was breaking thru, it's still less than 16 games a year. In fact his 17 appearances for us in his first year was his best ever. That's less than half our games and he's club Captain!!! 

It's an embarrassment to monty, hay, pasca, and the many other leaders we have had. 

He can duck off 

Having just watched it, what the hell goes through Smith's mind ffs, what did he hope to achieve by going in like that on a guy heading away from goal. Also what was Jones, who I thought was extremely poor yesterday, doing standing in front of the taker, marking no one? He should have been on the edge of the box trying to pick someone up.

18 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Having just watched it, what the hell goes through Smith's mind ffs, what did he hope to achieve by going in like that on a guy heading away from goal. Also what was Jones, who I thought was extremely poor yesterday, doing standing in front of the taker, marking no one? He should have been on the edge of the box trying to pick someone up.

God knows mate god knows!!!

4 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Seen the highlights, clear penalty, missed the ball and took the man. It was the linesman that gave it as the ref did not have a clear view.

First goal came from Greer giving up far to easily on a ball over the top.

No it never. It came from Taylor, who lets be honest hasn't started the season firing on all cylinders not following his man (he's not had enough rest since end of last season with international games).

Greer might miss the ball but we still allowed one Accies player a free run inside our box.

The cross wasn't stopped and players aren't marked. I'd hold Greer as culpable as the man who was marking the goal scorer. 

Stonewall penalty kick. Even more ridiculous when you see where the player was facing. 

Possibly the stupidest bit of footballing nonsense I've seen at RP, and that's saying something.

As has been pointed out, the Hamilton player was heading for the corner flag, and should have been shepherded out to the touchline and prevented from turning.

Smith's action cost us two points and a chance to reduce our goal deficit.

Thing is...what does the manager do about it ?

I've said elsewhere that Smith shouldn't play again until October and be told that it's due to his mess-up on Saturday.

These guys live to play football, so being excluded should really hurt.

Also means somebody else gets a crack at playing.

BTW, I think I'd do the same to JJ - lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away. Unacceptable.

7 hours ago, Hugh Cuthill said:

Possibly the stupidest bit of footballing nonsense I've seen at RP, and that's saying something.

As has been pointed out, the Hamilton player was heading for the corner flag, and should have been shepherded out to the touchline and prevented from turning.

Smith's action cost us two points and a chance to reduce our goal deficit.

Thing is...what does the manager do about it ?

I've said elsewhere that Smith shouldn't play again until October and be told that it's due to his mess-up on Saturday.

These guys live to play football, so being excluded should really hurt.

Also means somebody else gets a crack at playing.

BTW, I think I'd do the same to JJ - lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away. Unacceptable.

I don't think it will bother Smith too much, he has spent more than 50% of his career not actually playing so he will be well used to it by now.

No one can say that we didn't know what we were getting when we signed Smith, his career statistics were there for all to see.

At the game I watched the direction of the ball and immediately thought it was never a penalty due to where the ball ended up. Having seen it on YouTube since there was absolutely no need to even make a tackle. He could have shielded him out of the box quite easily. Looked a tired man who has just crashed through a player because he didn't have the legs. A silly, silly decision that has cost us.

21 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Jones was doing what most teams have a man do i.e. Stand over the ball to stop the quick free kick towards towards goal

crawford was too clever though and played the pass to the right

Smith has previous.  I remember a game at Ibrox, mustve been in the cup when we were beat 3-0, and he gave away the most ridiculous penalty I've seen in recent years.  Well having seen the replays, and knowing that we were holding a lead with minutes to go, I think he's gone and trumped himself.

Edited by killieboy1869