Was That Boyds Swan Song...

Mark Robertson

I think we still need him in the squad but I wouldn't be playing him up front on his own and I would have him behind Erwin and possibly even Brophy in the pecking order. 

I think retiring him is a bit over the top. Erwin has a chance to seize his place in the team.

He really was very poor today and agree we can't play him up front on his own the chance he missed from a great cross in from the left first half today showed how slow he is now KB of old would have buried the chance no bother and it is sad to admit his time is up as our main striker but he will always be a legend!

If it's a hamstring he'll be even slower and heavier if/when he gets back.

The photo of him today on the match thread was as embarrassing as it was sad!

As it is he'll be taking a wage and giving nothing back .......... not that he's the only one at the moment and he's given us a hell of a lot more than a Smith, Power or Broadfoot!

Time to go and injury might be diplomatic way to do that.

It's painful to watch and a bit sad considering the player he once was 

Say you were from Timbuktu and that was the first time you'd ever seen Boydie play today and you were told about his career goal scoring records and being one of the most prolific goal scorers the Scottish game has produced you'd think someone was winding you up

maybe be different if he was 45 and in the condition he is in granted he's not a sprightly 20 something but he isn't at the stage where he should look like the best level he played was amateur 

I personally don't want to remember him as an overweight slow red faced player but the longer he stays in the team the more that will be everyone's lasting memory of him 

I would not have started Boyd today, but if LM wants to stick by his pal then surely playing him as a lone striker with no one close to him and a deep midfield does him no favours at all..

If Boyd is still having these many fitness issues when he is playing every week .........these same issues surely will only get worse if he is sat on the bench, unless he unlike previous seasons is played in some U20 games.......

10 minutes ago, Killie alan said:

This will in all probably be boydy s last season let's give him some slack I take all your points on board. Still handy for a goal if given the right service. Can come on for the last twenty minutes if needed.

But if LM persists with him as the loan striker starting a game Alan, his last season could be a relegation one. The old pals act, where LM sees Boydie as offering something only he can see, needs to stop and fast.

Edited by C4mmy31

Let's face it Kris Boyd is Scotlands fat Ronaldo, he could score for the first thirty or so years of his life without thinking about it. However genetics and time seem to have got them both at an age that seems too early. I suppose the brightest stars burn the fastest. Either that or there is a Celtic fan in the canteen at Murray park sabotaging the carefully planned diet plans of their "stars". How else could you explain the fortunes of the four strikers that have just been jettisoned by the rangers. Boyd's maybe just got a really heavy MSG habit that means he can't pass a Chinese takeaway 

edit for spelling 

Edited by Ayrshire_greasemonkey

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

But if LM persists with him as the loan striker starting a game Alan, his last season could be a relegation one. The old pals act, where LM sees Boydie as offering something only he can see, needs to stop and fast.

I can see your point mate still think he has something to offer. There are other players who need looking at in the mirror.

So as far as you all think, Boyd is finished, has-been , over weight ... well wake up... if he was the player we knew 10 years ago he wouldn't be playing for us... at his peak he played in the SPL that was light years ahead of what's on offer today, except for Celtic and even then there a pale imitation of the best of the last 15 years.

Yes I agree he's not the player he was ... but neither is Killie the team it used to be.

I hope he recovers quickly from his hamstring injury .. as should all Killie fans ... because we will miss his goals and contribution to the team at both ends of the park.

I too was disappointed that Erwin didn't start upfront ... alongside Boyd and we played 4-4-2 ... as that is our best hope to win games.

Today Boyd was clever and won us the free kick for the first goal ... and yes he put one past the post when challenged by 3 defenders, and a great cross from Frizzle wasn't chased in, but that may be more that he was expecting a cut back.

Consider all the chances we made in the first half ... a good portion of them had Boyd involved, when he went off apart from the 2nd goal what else did we create ... I didn't see much link up play at all with Erwin.

To put our hopes in Brophy ,who has no scoring record.. played in one U20's game in which we got humped fills me with confidence.

I for one would want Boyd back ASAP to contribute as one of our attacking options ...

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

Old pals act ? The guy has done it continually so surely it's worth a punt admittedly it doesn't seem to be working 

2 hours ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Have made this point before but Boyd has no record as an impact sub. Did nothing much in season when Magennis was preferred as starter.

I remember he came on in at RP 19th October 2002 against Dunfermline and rescued a point but that was nearly 15 years ago!!

He didn't need to be an impact sub for the majority of his career. He was in the starting XI and scoring plenty of goals for us. 

If the ball falls to someone in the box in the last 10 minutes he would be the guy with the finish. 

Personally i thought the "great cross" from Frizzell was far too close to the keeper, who made it look like a great ball by showing it across the goal mouth instead of claiming it. Im sure boyd was, as mentioned above, expecting the ball to be cut back a little.

the miss one on one boyd certainly got the ball stuck under his feet, and probably would have put it away in his prime, but he was under a lot of pressure from several defenders and the keeper did very well with the angle, and he didnt miss by much.

theres no doubt boyd is not the player he once was, but theres also no doubt he still has something to offer. In terms of goals and assists hes done not too badly already, and despite generally looking like he is running through treacle he does have a bit of a burst in him just he cant use it very often! 

Erwin did look more lively when he was on and perhaps should be given a run in the team, but suggesting boyd should retire is a bit extreme.

We all know and hope you write of boydie at your peril and I agree we should wish him a speedy recovery as he will probably still have a few chapters to write just depends as has been said if our manager can find the right partner for him in a 442 formation!

1 hour ago, Bbk said:

We all know and hope you write of boydie at your peril and I agree we should wish him a speedy recovery as he will probably still have a few chapters to write just depends as has been said if our manager can find the right partner for him in a 442 formation!

Totally agree...............

Shot of realism required here.

Boyd was, effectively, fired by the Rangers Chairman (together with McCulloch) after a season in the Championship when he failed miserably and ended up benched by Stuart McColl.

Why anyone would expect him to then step up to the Premier League and be a success makes no sense, and he's been treading water since he came back to RP.

Time to step down from the 1st XI and do something else while he still has a reputation worth preserving.

We need to be looking for the next Kris Boyd.