Was That Boyds Swan Song...

Mark Robertson

See this myth about all him needing a half chance to grab a goal? It's exactly that. That might have been relevant 5 years ago but he's far to slow to react now and has lost the quick instinct he had in front of goal.

He's finished as a striker who can start games in the SPFL. Thanks for the goals Kris but unless you are going to try and get remotely fit then it's bench at best for you. There is absolutely no way he should be starting games for us.

Erwin showed exactly what a striker should be doing when he came on. I get why folk want to stick up for him but we're in no position to play players out of sympathy.

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

See this myth about all him needing a half chance to grab a goal? It's exactly that. That might have been relevant 5 years ago but he's far to slow to react now and has lost the quick instinct he had in front of goal.

He's finished as a striker who can start games in the SPFL. Thanks for the goals Kris but unless you are going to try and get remotely fit then it's bench at best for you. There is absolutely no way he should be starting games for us.

Erwin showed exactly what a striker should be doing when he came on. I get why folk want to stick up for him but we're in no position to play players out of sympathy.

Spot on humper, two great chances on Saturday, Boyd of 3 yrs ago would have stuck away no problem, also the ball the keeper came out to get & Boyd gave up on it, I can only assume thinking he was offside was embarrassing. 

Lee Erwin HAS to start now. In 60minutes he showed more than Boyd has all season, his hold up play and movement was 10x better than boyd. He's tall and strong, also showed a turn off pace to score his goal and composure. He will offer us a constant goal treat if we can provide him chances. If Mcculoch continually plays Boyd it will cost him his job. 

Boyd is done, he has been a great servant and a Killie legend so would never slag the guy off but if we are going to play Boyd, Smith no midfield etc. we will only be heading one way.

Erwin looks good but far too many times when he holds up the ball or flicks it on he has nobody near him, the way we are setup in theory is that the midfield should be supporting the lone striker however the midfield is so weak they cant do the midfield job so no chance of supporting the attack.

If Boyd starts upfront on his own against Motherwell we will be beaten

He's 32/33 now. He's overweight therefore not as fit as he should be for that level but he has a big part to play in the squad and as an influence for young players. He was very unlucky not to score at least one goal on Saturday. The thing is, look around the squad and tell me where the goals will come from in the quantity we need. Erwin is the closest thing we have to an out and out striker but he's single figures a season scorer. In fact he has scored 22 goals in his entire senior career and 8 of them were for Arbroath. 

For all Boyds faults with age and fitness catching him out now I still say if he plays often enough he will be Killies top scorer this season

8 minutes ago, Fridge Magnet said:

He's 32/33 now. He's overweight therefore not as fit as he should be for that level but he has a big part to play in the squad and as an influence for young players. He was very unlucky not to score at least one goal on Saturday. The thing is, look around the squad and tell me where the goals will come from in the quantity we need. Erwin is the closest thing we have to an out and out striker but he's single figures a season scorer. In fact he has scored 22 goals in his entire senior career and 8 of them were for Arbroath. 

For all Boyds faults with age and fitness catching him out now I still say if he plays often enough he will be Killies top scorer this season

With the help of a few penalties maybe. 

From open play I seriously doubt it.

21 minutes ago, Fridge Magnet said:

Fancy a wager on that?

15 minutes ago, Fridge Magnet said:

if the baw is smeared with chocolate maybe

all joking aside though i dont see how you can possibly believe in his current condition he could be our top scorer

you are writing Erwin off after he came off the bench on Saturday and showed excellent composure to put us 2-0 up

and to say Boydies not as fit as he should be ?? thats the biggest understatement ive read since Laurence Oates said "I may be some time"

he is 32/33 not 43 or 53, im 36, have a sedatory desk job and weigh less than him. id be happy betting my metabolism is worse than his, i only need to smell a steak bake from Greggs and i'm making a new notch in the belt.

Hes a professional football player in the highest level of Scottish football, to use age or metabolism as an excuse is as lazy as Boyd has become.

37 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

if the baw is smeared with chocolate maybe

all joking aside though i dont see how you can possibly believe in his current condition he could be our top scorer

you are writing Erwin off after he came off the bench on Saturday and showed excellent composure to put us 2-0 up

and to say Boydies not as fit as he should be ?? thats the biggest understatement ive read since Laurence Oates said "I may be some time"

he is 32/33 not 43 or 53, im 36, have a sedatory desk job and weigh less than him. id be happy betting my metabolism is worse than his, i only need to smell a steak bake from Greggs and i'm making a new notch in the belt.

Hes a professional football player in the highest level of Scottish football, to use age or metabolism as an excuse is as lazy as Boyd has become.

Thought you were older than that I'm 53 next birthday 

I've a lot of respect for Kris but he is feeling the inevitable effects of age. Erwin I'm sure will become our main striker but he missed the Celtic game because his partner was giving birth. As someone with a 6 month old I know what having a newborn is like and it's hard work! I suspect he hasn't trained much since the birth which is why he wasn't started at the weekend especially as he was due to start the Celtic game.

I can see why LM would pick Boyd ahead of Erwin under these circumstances. For me he picked the right team on Saturday given what was at his disposal. From now on we need to see how he copes though and Boyd should be part of the squad but not relied upon as our main goal threat. 

Teddy Sheringham played in a FA cup final when he was 40, when he was 34 he scored 21 goals in 42 appearences for Man Utd

when he was 35 he was resigned by Spurs after leaving Man U

thats just 1 example that springs to mind, using his age as a reason for his condition is absoute nonsense,

granted at his age he may need to work harder than he did when he was younger to maintain his fitness but thats the point, he has clearly given up concerning himself with being in the best shape he can

Edited by Sp3ckyh0td0g81

He hasn't, as far as I can remember, even had any bad injuries in his career.

A hernia in 2010 seems to be about it.

Being naturally heavy may have caused more wear and tear to his joints but, let's be honest, he hasn't exactly spent his career tearing around the pitch. 

29 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Teddy Sheringham played in a FA cup final when he was 40, when he was 34 he scored 21 goals in 42 appearences for Man Utd

when he was 35 he was resigned by Spurs after leaving Man U

thats just 1 example that springs to mind, using his age as a reason for his condition is absoute nonsense,

granted at his age he may need to work harder than he did when he was younger to maintain his fitness but thats the point, he has clearly given up concerning himself with being in the best shape he can

Ally McCoist was 36 when he signed for us and in much better shape.

18 minutes ago, Fankle said:

Ally McCoist was 36 when he signed for us and in much better shape.

I think you're being kind to fat Sally there he was in slightly better shape than Boyd, he did manage 8 goals in that season though and played 29 games 

as it stands I don't see Boydie managing 29 games over the course of this season and he'd be doing well to bag 8 goals 

A friend was telling me that Boyd was on a podcast talking about Le Guen. Apparently he had Boyd on a proper diet, which he stuck to, and hated. But Boyd said he couldn't score and wasn't happy. When Smith came in he said 'I don't know what the f**k le Guen was telling you but start eating'. And he did, and he started scoring... I imagine thats a lot to do with the 'happier squad, benefits on the pitch' thing that comes up all the time. But I've never had the impression Boyd has the discipline to be an athlete as others are.

I'm happy with him km the squad, last ten minutes when we are lumping the ball desperate for a win. But we seem to have managers terrified of fully dropping him. 

52 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Apparently he had Boyd on a proper diet, which he stuck to, and hated. But Boyd said he couldn't score and wasn't happy. When Smith came in he said 'I don't know what the f**k le Guen was telling you but start eating'.

Mental health is a big part of well being. Boydie putting himself on a diet himself because he wanted to be the best athletic footballer he could be is one thing. Boydie on a diet because somebody else thought it would be good for him is another. Smith probably understood this principle instinctively without going into the details.

Le Guen was used to working with people who just wanted to be the best they could be without any additional motivation.

2 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Mental health is a big part of well being. Boydie putting himself on a diet himself because he wanted to be the best athletic footballer he could be is one thing. Boydie on a diet because somebody else thought it would be good for him is another. Smith probably understood this principle instinctively without going into the details.

Le Guen was used to working with people who just wanted to be the best they could be without any additional motivation.

What size of Pizza do you want Boydy?

Image result for kris boyd meme monster munch