One up front

Dieter's Heeder

Surely enough is enough of this lone completely isolated striker nonsense? Not saying it would change everything over night should we change them, but surely these tactics are inviting opposition onto us every single week? One up top is fine for the odd certain game - but games at home to the likes of Hamilton Accies I'd like to see us have a right go. Erwin and Brophy would have been my choice but even if Boyd was to play then give him a partner up front. Opposition defenders are getting far too easy a time of it from us atm, need to give them something to think about.

The system if properly used would be effective for us both home and away ......If the right players were used and the team set up correctly ....no sign of either as yet .......other teams play only one striker but very often you see thier midfielders or wide men quickly move forward into the box and score goals 

our wingers more often stay isolated on touchline and seldom switch or move inside when play is on the opposite side to support the striker 

our so called attacking central midfielder is played too deep and seems at times more worried about whom he is supposed to mark than moving forward quickly to support the striker .........

we do not have a box to box midfielder in the squad ........

And we miss Kiltie 

We can't play two out and out wingers and two forwards without two good tough tackling box to box midfielders*

We're already getting overrun in midfield with five (or four and a half) in there.

It seems to me that we are going to have to sacrifice some width to get more bodies protecting back four.

Could Jones or Thomas adapt to a 4-3-2-1 where the '2' get in close support of a lone striker who then wouldn't be so isolated? They would have to have the wit to be fluid and the three would have to take responsibility for most of the creative work.

Some radical change of that sort is going to be needed I fear.

*We don't have any!

Anyone who watches us and thinks two up top is the answer baffles me. Our midfield get entirely over run every week. Why would taking a man out of there make things any better. We'dbe getting Gary Locke style hidings every single week. 

I appreciate we'veused it to good effect in a couple of league cup games against tired amateur opposition in the second half but that does not mean it will work from the start against the better teams we have to play week in week out.

It's not the system that'sthe problem. It's the entire void we have in the .middle of the park.

10 hours ago, livvy said:

Anyone who watches us and thinks two up top is the answer baffles me. Our midfield get entirely over run every week. Why would taking a man out of there make things any better. We'dbe getting Gary Locke style hidings every single week. 

I appreciate we'veused it to good effect in a couple of league cup games against tired amateur opposition in the second half but that does not mean it will work from the start against the better teams we have to play week in week out.

It's not the system that'sthe problem. It's the entire void we have in the .middle of the park.

I don't think that's necessarily how things work. There's ways and means of shoring up the midfield, all be it with less personnel in that actual role. Going back to the old cliche 'attack is the best form of defence' but maybe there's something we could take from that. Our current set up is extremely negative and invites even the weakest of opposition to have a go at them. Another man up top and let the ball stay up that end of the pitch a bit longer than it's currently doing, we might even create a few chances.

17 hours ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

I don't think that's necessarily how things work. There's ways and means of shoring up the midfield, all be it with less personnel in that actual role. Going back to the old cliche 'attack is the best form of defence' but maybe there's something we could take from that. Our current set up is extremely negative and invites even the weakest of opposition to have a go at them. Another man up top and let the ball stay up that end of the pitch a bit longer than it's currently doing, we might even create a few chances.

I'm sorry but we currently have no central midfielders capable of playing this system. The amount of possession we have will drastically reduce and we will be walked through by everyone in this league. Very few teams are playing 4-4-2 these days. It's a dated system. Subsequently few modern players are familiar with it, trained to play within it, or have the right attributes to play within it. Most importantly from a Killie perspective, teams that play 4-4-2 need a very specific combination in midfield, players able to cover considerably more ground than anyone in our current squad with a wider range of attacking and defensive attributes as well wide midfielders capable of contributing a lot more to defensive phases of play. We don't have a single midfield player at the club capable of playing in a 4-4-2.

Just now, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

do you honestly think that from the midfield players we have in our squad none of them have ever played in a succesful 4-4-2 ?

thats a ridiculous statement to make

We don't have midfielders with the attributes to play that system. There may be players there who have had those attributes in the past...Stevie Smith 5 years and 50 injuries ago and a younger Chris Burke but none currently. The last time we did was probably when we had Craig Bryson and James Fowler. Closest player we've got is Gary Dicker and even then he'd need to be paired with a very creative box to box player to make it work.

i can see Ian Wilson being moulded into a good solid central midfielder, work rate was unquestionable at the weekend, not scared to track back and get a challenge in when required and has an eye for a pass, albeit they might not all come off, and he has made a couple of mistakes but for 18 year old i dont think he gets anywhere near the credit or indeed support from fans as what he should

1 hour ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

i can see Ian Wilson being moulded into a good solid central midfielder, work rate was unquestionable at the weekend, not scared to track back and get a challenge in when required and has an eye for a pass, albeit they might not all come off, and he has made a couple of mistakes but for 18 year old i dont think he gets anywhere near the credit or indeed support from fans as what he should

Absolutely agree wholeheartedly with you mare