Scottish Labour (trying) to return to their roots

Mcilroy56

On 11 September 2017 at 10:34 AM, Mcilroy56 said:

Glasgow MP Anas Sarwar under fire after family firm pays staff less than "real" living wage

Paul HutcheonGroup Investigations Editor
Glasgow MP Anas Sarwar under fire after family firm pays staff less than

Glasgow MP Anas Sarwar under fire after family firm pays staff less than "real" living wage

MILLIONAIRE Scottish Labour leadership contender Anas Sarwar is under pressure over jobs which were advertised at his family’s firm for less than the “real” living wage.

Recruits were offered £7.50 an hour last month for a 45-hour week at the hugely-profitable United Wholesale (Scotland) Ltd, in which Sarwar has a multi-million pound stake.

The low wage is less than the £8.45 an hour backed by anti-poverty groups. Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has also pledged to introduce a £10 an hour minimum wage if the party comes to power.

SNP MSP Clare Haughey said: "Despite his bluster, even employees of the Sarwar family firm don't get a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. In practice Anas Sarwar's style is more profiteering for the few, not the many.”

In a statement, Sarwar said: “I am a minority shareholder in United Wholesale Scotland, not a director, and play no active part in the running of the company – and never have. I strongly believe all companies should pay the real living wage, and have received assurances that UWS has an ambition and desire to pay it.”

Sarwar, a former deputy leader of Scottish Labour, is up against Holyroodcolleague Richard Leonard to become Kezia Dugdale’s successor.

However, the Glasgow MSP has attracted negative publicity over his wealth and his decision to send his children to an elite, fee-paying private school.

He is now facing questions about the commitment of UWS to ending low pay for its workers.

The National Living Wage for over 25 year olds, introduced by the Tory Government, stands at £7.50 an hour, but the “real” living wage is an independently-set hourly rate calculated according to the basic cost of living in the UK.

The calculation is done by Resolution Foundation, overseen by the Living Wage Commission and is currently £8.45 an hour. Scottish Government staff are guaranteed the higher amount.

The Government also funds the Scottish Living Wage Accreditation Initiative, which encourages private sector firms and other bodies to pay £8.45 an hour.

Come on you Lefty Red Tories, please vote for this guy and finish Labour in Scotland.

Consult with squirreI on this one. He worries a decent living wage would harm small Tory employers. 

On 11 September 2017 at 10:34 AM, Mcilroy56 said:

Paul HutcheonGroup Investigations Editor
Glasgow MP Anas Sarwar under fire after family firm pays staff less than

MILLIONAIRE Scottish Labour leadership contender Anas Sarwar is under pressure over jobs which were advertised at his family’s firm for less than the “real” living wage.

Recruits were offered £7.50 an hour last month for a 45-hour week at the hugely-profitable United Wholesale (Scotland) Ltd, in which Sarwar has a multi-million pound stake.

The low wage is less than the £8.45 an hour backed by anti-poverty groups. Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has also pledged to introduce a £10 an hour minimum wage if the party comes to power.

SNP MSP Clare Haughey said: "Despite his bluster, even employees of the Sarwar family firm don't get a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. In practice Anas Sarwar's style is more profiteering for the few, not the many.”

In a statement, Sarwar said: “I am a minority shareholder in United Wholesale Scotland, not a director, and play no active part in the running of the company – and never have. I strongly believe all companies should pay the real living wage, and have received assurances that UWS has an ambition and desire to pay it.”

Sarwar, a former deputy leader of Scottish Labour, is up against Holyroodcolleague Richard Leonard to become Kezia Dugdale’s successor.

However, the Glasgow MSP has attracted negative publicity over his wealth and his decision to send his children to an elite, fee-paying private school.

He is now facing questions about the commitment of UWS to ending low pay for its workers.

The National Living Wage for over 25 year olds, introduced by the Tory Government, stands at £7.50 an hour, but the “real” living wage is an independently-set hourly rate calculated according to the basic cost of living in the UK.

The calculation is done by Resolution Foundation, overseen by the Living Wage Commission and is currently £8.45 an hour. Scottish Government staff are guaranteed the higher amount.

The Government also funds the Scottish Living Wage Accreditation Initiative, which encourages private sector firms and other bodies to pay £8.45 an hour.

Come on you Lefty Red Tories, please vote for this guy and finish Labour in Scotland.

Apparently, Commn Weal ( laughably the Yes Campaign group for equality ) are very keen on interns. i.e paying people nothing at all :) 

image.png

6 minutes ago, undefined said:

Because a non-profit company, funded by donations is definitely comparable to a company with turnover exceeding £200 million

I happen to think no one should work for nothing. By the way, your SNP mate Marie Macklin opposes even the basic minimum wage rising. And that was before Osborne introduced the living wage. I wouldn't go too far down this route. We'll find plenty of Nats guilty of it.

Edited by Mclean07

6 minutes ago, RAG said:

Scottish Labour grandee calls for party to plan for coalition with SNP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/15/scottish-labour-grandee-calls-party-plan-coalition-snp/

Interesting thoughts..

Well, if Labour could drag them away from their obsession with Indy and start helping them improve education, health and equality, why not? They'll need it, cos they won't win an overall majority.

Just now, Mclean07 said:

Well, if Labour could drag them away from their obsession with Indy and start helping them improve education, health and equality, why not? They'll need it, cos they won't win an overall majority.

The whole parliaments designed to have no party in overall control.  Labour even set up the parliament using a voting system unique to Scotland to ensure no party got that majority,- or at least that was the plan.  To me at least Labour are beginning to understand their place as the third force in Scottish politics with this sort of chat.  They took the Better Together Tory money gladly in 2014 and have since been punished at the polls as a result.  I'd say it'd be a cold day in hell before the SNP got into coalition with the Red Tories, but we're guaranteed a fair few sub zero days during the  Brexit process!

Edited by RAG

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

Bit hilarious, old boy, when you don't recognise your own trade union. Dodgy ground, methinks......

I do recognise them, I just don't take part in every petty strike they decide to push for.

There's a difference between refusing to recognise the need for Unions and point blankly following them like sheep but I'm not the least nit surprised you'd be like the latter.

17 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Labour need it a hell of a lot more than the SNP, especially if they've Sarwar instead.

You can only dream of second place, never mind a minority government!

47 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I happen to think no one should work for nothing. By the way, your SNP mate Marie Macklin opposes even the basic minimum wage rising. And that was before Osborne introduced the living wage. I wouldn't go too far down this root. We'll find plenty of Nats guilty of it.

Trade union "reps aren't allowed paid time off to attend union meetings or go to meetings with union officials. Instead, employers should allow unpaid time off for these activities." - https://www.gov.uk/rights-of-trade-union-reps

Presumably you are of the opinion that trade unions are making reps "work for nothing"?

Edited by undefined

9 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Bit hilarious, old boy, when you don't recognise your own trade union. Dodgy ground, methinks......

There is only one hypocrite standing for branch office leader.

9 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

" Is it because I is black? " - Ali G 

Blatant racism... unsurprising really, given your history.

22 hours ago, undefined said:

Trade union "reps aren't allowed paid time off to attend union meetings or go to meetings with union officials. Instead, employers should allow unpaid time off for these activities." - https://www.gov.uk/rights-of-trade-union-reps

Presumably you are of the opinion that trade unions are making reps "work for nothing"?

That's one of he most convoluted arguments I've ever heard :) What about Marie? Backs poverty wages while coining it in. The new radical Scotland. Yippee!!

2 hours ago, Scooter said:

Ali G done the satire. Your racism dressed as "satire" is still racism.

No-one has ever underestimated your stupidity on here.

That's his usual, he weeps like a wean and runs to mummy when folk make comments to him, but make insinuations about other people's thoughts and character whilst accusing them of all sorts of things to keep up his belief that all "Gnats" are full of hatred and don't belong in his land of hope and glory. Then when he is outed for making remarks he says it's only in jest. Oh really.