Fan Zone (not my Scotsman column!)

baz

2 minutes ago, RAG said:

It's the licensing technical **** that makes it more difficult under the Moffat than in an already set licensed venue like the Park Suite.

Not suggesting you couldn't do it in a tent under the Moffat, but it would be more difficult to do.

The point is theres so much space, you could do different strokes for different folks easily within the space at RP.

Keep the Hotel for the 4 star stuff, us the PS as a set beer/curry hall type fair and go all out on the stuff under the Moffat, without the license restrictions boringly outlined above.

Theres enough space to do anything at RP.

You make a valid point. I'm willing to help to be a steward .

2 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

Been to Dortmund and Union Berlin, both had BBQ's and beer tents outside the ground, a real family party atmosphere. A beer tent under the Moffat Stand would go down well I think. Could invite local breweries and distilleries, cafes and resteraunts to sell their products as a market set up. 

It should also be inclusive to all, as denying access to children because a tent is selling alcohol would separate families on match days. Surely this is the opposite of what we would try to achieve? 

No your right should be for families too 

2 hours ago, Culley159 said:

Why might it not be a goer? Anyone can apply for a license for an event. There are bars all around the stadium where football fans can have a drink, why would the licensing board object to an event that was set up to attract fans and their families? There was a big bus serving drink at the open day a couple of years ago. I think its a great idea, bugger all else is working, time to try something new.

Maybe I could have worded my post a bit better. I meant my idea of tokens in exchange for a beer might not be a goer,

2 minutes ago, Killie alan said:

No your right should be for families too 

There's restrictions on Kids on bars, or licensed premises!

Wish I could remember exactly what they were, they don't apply if you buy food or are eating a meal - but you wouldn't usually have a sit down meal in an environment, before the football in a fanzone.

Scottish licensing laws are really strict - hence why it might be better to put the booze elsewhere for practical reasons!

23 minutes ago, RAG said:

Wish I could remember exactly what they were, they don't apply if you buy food or are eating a meal - but you wouldn't usually have a sit down meal in an environment, before the football in a fanzone.

Scottish licensing laws are really strict - hence why it might be better to put the booze elsewhere for practical reasons!

Forgot about these restrictions but aren't kids aloud in the hotel. 

8 minutes ago, Killie alan said:

Forgot about these restrictions but aren't kids aloud in the hotel. 

Aye, but only cos it's a hotel and cos they also serve food from the licensed area thats also a bar.  It's debatable, if you had food stalls and an outside license/bar in a tent outside the Moffat, if the kids would be allowed in the tent that was the bar area.  My guess is u18s would not be allowed in a tent selling booze under current licensing laws and you'd need bouncers with ID checks on the tent doors etc to ensure no u18s get in.   Alcohols a restricted product and you cant sell it the way you could even 10 years ago.

1 minute ago, RAG said:

Aye, but only cos it's a hotel and cos they also serve food from the licensed area thats also a bar.  It's debatable, if you had food stalls and an outside license/bar in a tent outside the Moffat, if the kids would be allowed in the tent that was the bar area.  My guess is u18s would not be allowed in a tent selling booze under current licensing laws and you'd need bouncers with ID checks on the tent doors etc to ensure no u18s get in.   Alcohols a restricted product and you cant sell it the way you could even 10 years ago.

I believe your absolutely right mate. Would gladly help out.

6 minutes ago, RAG said:

You've got us beat before we start here champ, why not look into it and if there are problems then change tact? There is no point assuming anything in regards licensing, events like this happen all the time, including at Rugby Park, as long as the club agree to play ball there shouldn't be any problems. I'd suggest the club agreeing to play ball will be the biggest problem! I think football fans in Scotland still suffer from the backlash against the old firm and their violence back in the day, I have stayed in many countries and even where problems are far worse they don't get treated like criminals like Scottish football fans do.

I agree with you @Big Tam.   I've done a few outdoor events in my time, so am just outlining the pitfalls. 

I'd go right to the top, BB with this.  He's put in a fair whack of dosh and something like this would get him onside with the fans and provide a better match day experience, leading to more bums on seats - none of this "Grey and Lifeless" nonsense.

It's a cracking idea and mutually beneficial for all concerned, if executed well,

1 minute ago, RAG said:

I agree with you @Big Tam.   I've done a few outdoor events in my time, so am just outlining the pitfalls. 

I'd go right to the top, BB with this.  He's put in a fair whack of dosh and something like this would get him onside with the fans and provide a better match day experience, leading to more bums on seats - none of this "Grey and Lifeless" nonsense.

It's a cracking idea and mutually beneficial for all concerned, if executed well,

Spot on. If they can push the boat out to have a ladies day then surely they can do the same for fans in general.

13 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

The original post seems a reasonable idea but more aimed at locals than fans who have no choice but to drive to the game. Anything that improves the atmosphere is worth considering. Shame we aren't at home on the weekend of the Ayrshire Beer Festival or we could maybe have invited them to have a stall at the event.

Are you not Irvine or Kilwinning? There's buses, that I'm guessing cost you nothing?

11 hours ago, RAG said:

Besides, as a family club, "the lager zone" should be fenced off and inaccessible to under 18s.

Aye no bother.

Just like kids aren't allowed into pubs, hotels, restaurants etc where alcohol is sold eh? English clubs serve beer at the pie stalls.

Football clubs the world over have fan zones that allow kids and sell beer.

10 hours ago, RAG said:

I can only assume you never go to the pub before the football? Walk into the Brass or Park Hotel before games and you'll see dozens of kids in and not having food. Funnily enough they seem to like the atmosphere and there isn't any trouble.

My mate had his 3 year old in the Brass on Saturday. He loved it.

I can think of tons of outdoor events where booze is freely sold without fenced off areas and kids are allowed. Festivals, Golf Events, Cricket, Rugby, Gigs, the list is endless.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

9 hours ago, RAG said:

Going by that theory every pub in the town would have a bouncer on the door.

St Mirren actively encourage kids to come to their fan bar, no mention of food having to be eaten by kids.

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=58147

Edited by Squirrelhumper

21 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Going by that theory every pub in the town would have a bouncer on the door.

St Mirren actively encourage kids to come to their fan bar, no mention of food having to be eaten by kids.

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=58147

Aye but behind the Moffat is effectively in the ground as your past the turnstiles.

And I know they can do booze in England and at Rugby in Scotland.

The St Mirren thing looks like its in an actual bar not a stand up, events outside one too.

Not knocking the idea, I think its a good one, but as you know - they don't like booze especially at the football - unlike myself!!

10 minutes ago, killieboy said:

Would this be open to away fans also? Would imagine it would be of interest to travelling fans possibly too?

can you imagine when Septic roll into town, on a lovely sunny Ayrshire afternoon, skinny topless tracksuit bottom clad wee runts with their case of strongbow on the shoulder, asking the DJ if he has any Scooter tunes because "we need to get this gaff pure jumping"