Scotland

I thought last night's performance was Scotland's best performance away from home in one of those 'should be good enough but probably struggle banana skin matches' in a long time. 

Nine points, I feel, is a must collect from our remaining games. If we do achieve that ( big ask ) and provided England don't lose to the Slovaks on Monday we will finish second. 

To be honest I don't think Scotland will get to Russia but I'd be delighted for Strachan as I think he's been harshly criticised by parts of the media. 

It was an incredibly open game for an international. Both sides had a lot of chances and I don't know when we last had so many attempts on goal in the one match.  It's possible for us to win our last three games but not easy as both Slovenia and Slovakia will still have the chance to qualify. 

If we do get through to the playoffs then it's just your luck. You could end up with something like Northern Ireland or you could get Spain, Italy or Portugal. 

Just a word on Robertson, what an absolute steal at £8m given the transfer market this summer. A more realistic price these days is 4 or 5 times that. 

Edited by historyman

Even if Slovakia get a draw at Wembley, we can still overtake them now (obviously by winning all 3 remaining games). In fairness, if at the start of the campaign you had been told that it would potentially come down to a home decider v Slovakia would have taken it. IF we beat them at home, at least Slovenia don't have anything to play for in the last one, and a similar performance to last night's would get us over the line. Fear at the moment though that we will beat Malta and Slovenia, but the Slovakia match will be a draw. 

Ultimately, had we beaten England at home, we would probably have gone through.

Edited by Jedi2

14 hours ago, Candygram for mongo said:

There was several passes from Scotland that were mis-weighted with the ball flying away too fast that on grass would've been accurate. 

It seems you're talking about two different things - accuracy and weight.

International footballers should have been able to adjust to the weight of pass required on the surface during their practice session.

If passes were misweighted, it's more likely that they were hurried into making the passes (or that they are not good enough).

I'll give you that it takes more time to adjust to the amount of "check" to put into an aerial pass so it holds up.

7 hours ago, mathematics said:

Does that mean that every accurate pass on that pitch would have been inaccurate on grass?

No. Not talking about the intricate pass and move 5-10 yard passes, it was more the longer range (some elevated) passes with move power behind them. On a few occasions they skidded away from the intended target when it would've held-up 'properly' on grass.

7 hours ago, skygod said:

It seems you're talking about two different things - accuracy and weight.

International footballers should have been able to adjust to the weight of pass required on the surface during their practice session.

If passes were misweighted, it's more likely that they were hurried into making the passes (or that they are not good enough).

I'll give you that it takes more time to adjust to the amount of "check" to put into an aerial pass so it holds up.

The two are inextricably linked when playing a pass yards in front of a teammate to run onto eg a 20-30 yard pass with pace behind the opponents defensive line. 

Get where you're coming from re: Int' footballers being able to adjust with practice sessions. However, I'd imagine the pitch would've been dry during the Scottish practise and heavily watered pre kick-off to give the Lithuanians an edge. Looked to me as if the pitch was heavily watered judging by game. 

13 hours ago, casual observer said:

The 2 points lost in the last 90 secs against England will come back to haunt us I fear. Add that to a very poor home draw against a limited Lithuania gives us a mountain to climb.

Swings and roundabouts, we were very lucky to beat Slovenia.

Can't see Slovakia beating England so it should be in our hands come the last couple of games.  Certainly better than it looked after Wembley.

Edited by Fankle

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:28 AM, Candygram for mongo said:

To be honest I don't think Scotland will get to Russia but I'd be delighted for Strachan as I think he's been harshly criticised by parts of the media. 

He brings it on himself. Perhaps if he'd started Griffiths ahead of Martin against Lithuania at home we'd not be needing 9 points.

Strachan is far too negative for his own good.

6 hours ago, Fankle said:

Swings and roundabouts, we were very lucky to beat Slovenia.

Can't see Slovakia beating England so it should be in our hands come the last couple of games.  Certainly better than it looked after Wembley.

We're not going to miss out on the playoff place because of the 3points gained against Slovenia though. With 90 secs left on the clock, we just shouldn't be conceding cheap possession and a cheap goal.

Agree though that after Wembley I'd have grabbed the chance of a strong finish meaning our fate was in our own hands - that won't be the case unless those Southern mungbeans win tonight though! (Republic v Germany 2 years ago anyone???)

6 minutes ago, casual observer said:

Agree though that after Wembley I'd have grabbed the chance of a strong finish meaning our fate was in our own hands - that won't be the case unless those Southern mungbeans win tonight though! (Republic v Germany 2 years ago anyone???)

England have probably the best record in the world in qualifying games at home / Wembley. Is an exceptional record.  I'd fully expect England to score a few tonight and get the job done qualification wise.  Our teams completely different in the last game compared to 11 at Wembley and same side tonight apparently..

Edited by RAG

1 minute ago, casual observer said:

If England don't have the best qualifying record at Wembley then they're in serious trouble!?! :2:

I agree though

As a dyslexic, sometimes I concentrate too much on spelling, rather than actually making sense in written form.

I did edit it BEFORE I'd read your reply!  Still, I would be surprised if England don't have their game over by HT this evening..

Biggest game now arguably since Italy (incredibly 10 years ago). Not that much between us, Slovakia and Slovenia. Worry is still that a draw suits Slovakia and they have the players to get one. No question the England game will probably come back to bite us, as will the home draw v a poor Lithuania. However, as said the last minute winner v Slovenia went for us, as did England winning tonight.

If nothing else, last 4 matches have completely transformed Strachan's standing. Ironically if Chris Martin of all folk hadn't bagged that last minute winner he would have been a goner.

On another note...a lot of the other 2nd placed sides are currently in with a shout of finishing on more than 20pts...surely we wont end up winning both, and still finishing 9th of the 2nd places now? Also, looking at some of the potential teams who will be in the play offs....Portugal, France or Sweden, Italy, Denmark, even Iceland. We would have to hope for either N.Ireland, Wales or Ireland or Bosnia as things stand.