Gary Holt

skygod

As we move into September, it’s only a matter of time before the managerial merry-go-round is in full swing across the UK.

Hiring and firing managers has become part of football culture but, more often than not, the men who are being sacked one minute are given another job the next – leaving hungry young coaches waiting longer than they should for an opportunity.

It can be a lonely old game when you’re on the outside looking in, something Gary Holt can vouch for.

The talented coach has been out of work since leaving Norwich at the beginning of last season.

He spent two and a half years with the Canaries – where he built up a legend status as a player – after giving up the manager’s job at Falkirk to join back in 2014.

The past year has been spent taking charge of his kids’ school run and training sessions here and there for Holt.Although he’s enjoying the chance to be a dad without the day to day pressure of football, the Kilmarnock legend and Scottish Cup winning midfielder admits he’s itching to get back into the management hotseat.

In an exclusive interview in a town centre cafe last week, Holt told the Kilmarnock Standard: “I go down to Bonnyton where Alan Robertson and Paul Wright are working.

"I’ve done a few sessions just to get me out of the house.

"And I also know the manager at Selkirk (Ian Fergus) so have done a couple of sessions with them.

“And then I’ve just really been working with my son.

"He has needed a bit of help fitness-wise, so I’ve been working with him to get up to scratch – and then spending time just being a dad.

"Because when you’re working in football as a coach or manager you don’t really get to do that, it goes on the back burner.

“So it has been good to be a dad, do the school runs and stuff like that.

“But now hopefully I’ll get the chance to get back in.

"As they say, it’s all about being patient and waiting for the right opportunity which is something I fancy, rather than just taking any old job.”

Holt admits the lack of opportunities to speak to clubs has been a particular frustration.

He said: “It’s the nasty side of football, when you apply for jobs and don’t get an interview.

“Probably more so in Scotland. Falkirk were great with me when I got the interview, they were different and thought outside the box, whereas a lot of clubs in Scotland don’t.”

Holt gave up the manager’s post at Falkirk to head back down to join Norwich as then manager Neil Adams’ assistant.

He had had a successful season at the Falkirk Stadium, finishing third and losing out in the first ever play-off stage to eventual winners Hamilton.

Holt brought through a number of young players, with the average age of his side in the teens on occasions.

Asked if he regretted giving up the job to head back to Norwich, Holt said: “I’m not going to unearth anything in public but if it was the same situation today then no, I wouldn’t have gone.

"The financial package, the pull of Norwich and the chance to get back into the Premier League, I don’t think there would have been many people who would have said no. Everything was just too good to turn down.”

So what next?

Holt said: “I’ve always said I see myself as a manager. I love the job and I loved my time at Falkirk.

“You know what football’s like, some will say you did a good job and others won’t.

“I can only go by my record and I thought it was very good.”

(Record)

They should hire him at Killie as a youth coach, or get him involved in the coaching set up with the first team if he's any good.

I think he'd be an inspirational figure at the club - talk of him as managers bonkers IMO at present.

But he's another Killie legend coaching at Bonnyton - not sure I like this!

7 hours ago, mitch14 said:

Might be unfortunate timing for him if McCulloch goes. Would be someone you'd imagine we'd be interested in, but surely we would want an experienced manager after the last few. I'd love to see Holt as manager one day if hes up to it. 

You speak as if this is imminent - do you have some kind of insight?

We've only just appointed the manager, after taking a long time to do so - do you think he's going to "go" this quickly/easily?

Edited by jesper

As a player Holt made the absolute best of his limited ability due to his fitness, effort and determination.

If he can translate that attitude into and across a club and take the players with him he'd be a very good manager.

Certainly I can't imagine him tolerating some of the unfit jokers that we have now.

For me, his Falkirk performance was about par for the course for them so not bad for a first attempt.

I think I'd have preferred him to McCulloch on current showing.