Lollipop Persons/G.O.M.T.

bKb

Cyclists riding two abreast on winding country roads. Especially the fundamentalist f**kwits who quote the Highway Code. 

"We're allowed to do it. The Highway Code says 'never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends' so there. It's in black and white, two abreast is safer for overtaking , blah, f**kity, blah- no the whole countryside is narrow roads and you're nearly always going around a bend you Lycra clad morons. Get into the side of the road where you belong. 

Edited by Zorro

3 minutes ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

Conversely. Motorist who think they can nip out of a t- junction as I approach at speed on bike, being forced to brake. 

Oh, there's no shortage of dickheads driving motors, it's just that if they cause me to run into them it is less likely to be terminal.

By the way I have started practicing the "Dutch Reach" in order to increase my cyclist friendliness.

15 hours ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

Sounds like a dirty sex act

I think you get the Dutch Reach from the back seat, just make sure you keep your eye on the road when you come to junctions etc.

My point with the lollipop persons Del was are they not there to cross kids? Surely the adults have learned to to cross a road now.

Bin lorries do my nut in. Why do they have to park next to the bins even if they are causing an obstruction. Park where you don't block the road and use the wheely bit of the wheely bin to get it to the lorry. It's really annoying in tight streets where they move 10m then stop then another 10 and so on.

On 12/09/2017 at 9:39 AM, bKb said:

Why are they stopping me every day just before or just after 9pm to cross adults across the road?

I hope the lollipops are getting overtime for being out at that time of nite! B|

Would be good to see them out at shutting time on a Friday nite to see me safely across the road when I'm staggering one step forward and three back! O.o

Muppets that run the lights well after they have gone red. So late in fact they are come through a junction as you are entering on the green light!!!

I find the lights at the Tesco Garage at Glencairn & the Portland Road/North & South Hamilton Street  junction especially bad for this behaviour.....or is it just the sequencing that's out?   

Edited by Delsteel

5 hours ago, Delsteel said:

Muppets that run the lights well after they have gone red. So late in fact they are come through a junction as you are entering on the green light!!!

I find the lights at the Tesco Garage at Glencairn & the Portland Road/North & South Hamilton Street  junction especially bad for this behaviour.....or is it just the sequencing that's out?   

The sequencing isn't out they're just being pure fannies. Great for playing chicken though, try it out you'll feel like James Dean.

Aye I meant 9am Scooter (12 hours night-shift then stressed out by Lollinazis)

On 12/09/2017 at 3:40 PM, Zorro said:

Cyclists riding two abreast on winding country roads. Especially the fundamentalist f**kwits who quote the Highway Code. 

"We're allowed to do it. The Highway Code says 'never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends' so there. It's in black and white, two abreast is safer for overtaking , blah, f**kity, blah- no the whole countryside is narrow roads and you're nearly always going around a bend you Lycra clad morons. Get into the side of the road where you belong. 

So, you're annoyed at cyclists following the rules? At least gdevoy is annoyed with the ones who don't, as am I.

You are correct, though, you are almost always going round a bend. Which makes it even more inexplicable why so many motorists overtake on blind bends and crests of hills.

What really gets on my tits is motorists with a sense of entitlement. Wait behind the traffic in front of you where you belong!

46 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

So, you're annoyed at cyclists following the rules? At least gdevoy is annoyed with the ones who don't, as am I.

You are correct, though, you are almost always going round a bend. Which makes it even more inexplicable why so many motorists overtake on blind bends and crests of hills.

What really gets on my tits is motorists with a sense of entitlement. Wait behind the traffic in front of you where you belong!

Or cyclists should use common sense.

Just because they are entitled to do it, that doesn't mean it is the best option. 

I agree. However, in this case, it is the best option.

If I ride on the left hand side of the road, there still isn't enough room for two cars in the remaining available tarmac. Any driver wishing to pass me needs to cross the centre line anyway. So they can only do it if nothing is coming the other way.

If cyclists are riding two abreast, the motorist can only pass by crossing the centre line, and if nothing is coming the other way. 

There is only an issue if the driver doesn't pass safely. 

1 hour ago, Scooby_Doo said:

What bit of ride single file on narrow roads and going around bends do you not get? Do those prissy little helmets you lot wear cut off all oxygen supply to the brain. There are also plenty of overtaking places on country roads, if cyclists had any real inkling of the Highway Code they'd realise the road markings show them. f**king Lycra clad twats. 

I think you might be the one that isn't getting it. It makes no difference to your ability to safely overtake if riders are in single file or two abreast.

If some motorists knew the Highway Code, they'd know what the road markings were for not overtaking. Usually on blind bends and close to the top of hills.

My helmet is lovely and comfortable thanks very much. Although I don't think oxygen is supplied externally via the skull, so I don't think I'm in danger there. Thanks for thinking about my health though.

As for your last point, I can at least take the lycra off.....

If it didn't make any difference to safely overtaking, it wouldn't explicitly mention it in the Highway Code. Instead it would say "continue to hold up traffic on narrow winding roads because that's much much safer." It doesn't. 

Im glad you're aware about the road markings, perhaps you could brush up on the rest of the code, and pass the information onto the rest of your cycling friends. 

Have you heard of the word "tourniquet"? It's a device used to restrict arterial and venous circulation by constriction. Arteries are responsible for carrying the oxygen supply around the body. There are two paired arteries which are responsible for the blood supply to the brain; the vertebral arteries, and the internal carotid arteries. These arteries arise in the neck, and ascend to the cranium. Coincidentally this is the same area most cyclists prissy little helmets tighten to fit. Nobody is suggesting your skull absorbs oxygen externally. I'm suggesting your helmets are too tight and are cutting off the bodies ability to transport oxygen to the brain. This would explain why cyclists act like complete morons on the roads.

ps please refrain from coming into pubs with your stupid clacking shoes, repugnant body odour and your obscene choice of clothing for your one craft beer before going home. Go home and shower first, comb your beard and slip on your best fair isle jumper before mixing with civil people. Thank you  

Why dont cyclists need to sit a theory test to use the road? I mean if you have a drivers license then fine but if you dont know the rules of the road then you shouldne be on them. BTW I use my mountain bike on roads from time to time in and around town so im not bias one way or another. 

Basically there are a load of s**te road users out there in all modes of transport. At least a bad cyclist is more likley to kill themselves rather than someone else. 

I did have a couple of noddy cyclists pull infront of me (after I overtook them) waiting at a red light on the rest and be thankfull one time. I mean infront of me AND the wait here sign. Forced me to sit behind them for about five miles in to Tarbet. 

Ive had way more bad experiances with car drivers than any other road users tho. 

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

ps please refrain from coming into pubs with your stupid clacking shoes, repugnant body odour and your obscene choice of clothing for your one craft beer before going home. Go home and shower first, comb your beard and slip on your best fair isle jumper before mixing with civil people. Thank you

I have to give you that one.  Normally dressed in full Team SKY kit or the like. Middle age spread. Acting all fit then stopping for a pint! 

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

If it didn't make any difference to safely overtaking, it wouldn't explicitly mention it in the Highway Code. Instead it would say "continue to hold up traffic on narrow winding roads because that's much much safer." It doesn't. 

Im glad you're aware about the road markings, perhaps you could brush up on the rest of the code, and pass the information onto the rest of your cycling friends. 

Have you heard of the word "tourniquet"? It's a device used to restrict arterial and venous circulation by constriction. Arteries are responsible for carrying the oxygen supply around the body. There are two paired arteries which are responsible for the blood supply to the brain; the vertebral arteries, and the internal carotid arteries. These arteries arise in the neck, and ascend to the cranium. Coincidentally this is the same area most cyclists prissy little helmets tighten to fit. Nobody is suggesting your skull absorbs oxygen externally. I'm suggesting your helmets are too tight and are cutting off the bodies ability to transport oxygen to the brain. This would explain why cyclists act like complete morons on the roads.

Well, it mentions not riding two abreast round corners, but that presumably is to protect the cyclist from oncoming traffic that might have crossed the centre line. It wouldn't be for overtaking, since motorists wouldn't overtake on a corner, would they? The other two situations referenced are busy and narrow roads. What defines busy or narrow we are not told.

My cyclist friends are well aware of the road markings, and I'm well aware of the Highway Code, so I can ignore that bit.

I'm glad I made you Google how blood gets to the brain to prove your absurd notion that a cycle helmet would restrict the blood flow to my head. It's ten minutes of your life you'll never get back, so it's given me a chuckle.

As for your last wee rant - I don't have clacking shoes, body odour or obscene clothing. Nor do I go into the pub if I'm on a bike ride. I don't have a beard or a Fair Isle jumper. It's really quite a specific description - did someone fitting that description pump your missus once Andy Murray was finished?

I am all for giving cyclists plenty space when passing them and make a point of indicating when I do but If I see one more cyclist running a red light (or mounting the pavement to avoid it) they are getting a stick stuck in their spokes.

I have been using my bike a bit more often lately to nip down the street etc and haven't half had my eyes opened to the cyclists daily problems. I thought there were arseholes on the road already while driving but a car behind and passing a bike in a built up area is a frightening thing.