Dundee thread

skygod

Poor performance. Midfield look terrified of the ball apart from Hawks. Frizzel totally off the pace, don't know if that's physique or fitness. Erwin's jumping makes Boyd look like Nadia Comaneci yet we just lump it forward aimlessly. Set pieces were embarrassing. Dundee looked fitter despite tough match midweek. Not happy Thomas left on bench. Apart from that thought we were brilliant.

Bench today was a shocker: Bell, Power, Broadfoot, Burke and Boyd - average age of 32 - have to be playing at their age.

Probably some of the highest earners at the club not on the park, Boyd's appearance excepted.   

McCulloch couldn't have made any more excuses for Boyd's miss. "The ball checked on the surface, ended up between his legs...yada yada".

Very strange game. I thought we were really poor but would argue we were the better of the two sides today. I don’t think Dundee could have had too many complaints if we’d taken three points.

One of the positives when McCulloch took over last season was that we began to look organised. That has disappeared. Today was an utter shambles. Especially the midfield where Jones looked like the only one who knew where he was playing. The rest were interchanging too much and didn’t have a clue. 

I know McCulloch said he didn’t think we needed to strengthen CM but we really do. A better team would have wiped the floor with those boys today.

Defence looked really shaky. I never had confidence in them all day. Too often taking the wrong option. 

Erwin made plenty of chances for himself but really must do better. Yes he got shots away but Bain dealt with them well. 

Boyd's introduction made a difference as it put more pressure on their back four. Good decision making and a decent header back to Greer for the goal. The chance at the end you would have bet your house on him burying.

I thought MacDonald showed why he splits opinion today. His save second half was excellent but yet again his distribution was horrific. The punt towards the end that barely made it into the middle third was rotten.

McKenzie is frustrating. One run in the second half he went by men with ease then made the wrong choice. He’s got no confidence but he shows in flashes what he can do then never even tries it again. 

A points a point but we really must do better. I know he will but I’d be really disappointed if McCulloch claims that was an acceptable performance and he’s happy with it. We really must do better.

9 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

A point ...but overall yet another confusing performance ....LM is ever changing his team , formation etc....he seems to not have any idea as yet to his best team or even way of playing....leaving little cohesiveness or consistency 

Doesn't matter he hadn't got the players with enough ability

11 minutes ago, piffer said:

I thought MacDonald showed why he splits opinion today. His save second half was excellent but yet again his distribution was horrific. The punt towards the end that barely made it into the middle third was rotten.

I don't think the split is anywhere near 50/50. There are many more relevant reasons why we are a crap team that looks like it's going down.

If they don't win next week then McCulloch should go as he clearly doesn't have what it takes. What's that now - 2 wins in 17 in the league?

I have to say I thought today was a very poor performance. in fact the game was devoid of quality from two very poor sides who will be battling at the bottom this year. 

I honestly don't know what formation we were playing today and don't think the players knew their roles at all. we played with 4 centre midfielders (McKenzie, Hawkshaw, Frizell, waters) all hogging the centre circle and Jones drifting between being on the left and also being in the middle. We had no shape at all. McKenzie suppose to be on on right side I think but drifted in. 

The pitch looks horrendous and is going getting worse with every passing game. so patchy and dry. ball doesn't move on it and it bounces shockingly.

Maybe we can say it played a part in the big man's miss at the end but still. . .  Boyd will be having nightmares about that chance for sometime. should have buried it. Agree about the bench. we need to move those old high earners off the wage bill and INVEST EVERY penny we have to bring in a quality midfielder either on a free now or in January ( I fear however that come January we will by that point be marooned). 

Style of play is so so poor. no gamelan and I've said it before. We have one of the best wingers in The league and a pitch the width of a narrow five a side. 

Oh and lastly. . . Dundee are also honking 

Best wingers in the league ? He might be if his decision making wasn't so poor and he could actually put in a decent corner. First half wasn't great but at least we were creating, and missing chances. Too many mighty midgets in midfield, and Frizzell and Hawkshaw are too similar. Apart from Erwin there is nobody in that team that can shoot or even look like they can shoot. Second half was big punt after big punt, any goal threat was only at a set piece.

What the hell were those free kicks in the first half, did they actually work on them ?

We are stuck with that plastic carpet so water it thoroughly next week, or else.

Why are we building a hospitality area, there was maybe ten people there today ?  Or maybe it's an ark.

Rant over.

Remember when we had the likes of Clingan and Eremenko in midfield. They were far from flawless but when players pointlessly wasted possession they always got on at them and urged them to think about what they were doing. They and others tried to make sure everyone was on the same wavelength. 

Today was like a free for all. No one actually knew what the game plan was if indeed there was one. Some wanted to play long, others a poor passing game and a couple wanted to run with the ball. 

I saw one pointless hoof nowhere near Erwin from McKenzie in the first half that McCulloch was actually applauding. 

Don't think we were as bad as some making out. First 15 or so were a bit grim then we improved, Jones looking lively. We were the better team and looked decent on the front foot. 

Erwin showed some quality today, he brought the ball in well and showed a good first touch, from some poor service at times. 

He should have scored first half but hopefully that will come for him. 

Boyd did well when he came on, vital contribution to the equaliser and fluffed a put-your-house-on-it chance that I don't think was as easy as it looked, especially on his weaker side. 

Decent performances two weeks in a row, two points, hopefully build on it and get a positive result next week. 

Thought hawkshaw was the only player who looked like a midfielder Tackled well always on the move and looked to pass to a teamate and looked for the ball back. Trouble is we play a different system with different players every week. At least in the first we created some chances 2nd half was dreadful long ball hit and hope which nearly worked at the end. Massive game next week.

Kilmarnock manager Lee McCulloch: "Pretty pleased with the character we showed because after three minutes we've gifted Dundee a goal. After that our heads could've gone down but they didn't.

"I'm pleased especially with the second-half performance and probably should have deserved the three points. There were a couple of half-chances and a couple of good chances and we were pretty sound after the goal.

"The way we want to play, mistakes are going to happen and it's just taking it on the chin and reacting and we did that today.

"It's only one defeat in our last four matches so there is a little bit of positivity there. We would have liked to have our first win by now but you'll not get anything negative from me or any of the players.

"If there are any chances going about you want them to fall to Kris Boyd. At the time I thought that's a very good chance but having seen it again it's checked up on the surface and it's in between his legs so I think he was a little bit indecisive about which foot to kick it with because of the check on the surface. Nine times out of 10 Boydy scores that."

Got to say I’m disappointed by McCullochs reactions. The way we play mistakes are going to happen? What is the way we play because no one seems to have a clue. We need to see more from the team than we have. 

One defeat in four matches is a bit cheeky. In our position after such a poor run he’s clutching at straws. It’s no wins in nine league outing since we secured top flight safety last season. Others have gone further with the stats already in this thread

I appreciate he is trying to be positive but he really needs to address the current situation. Seven weeks in and it’s looking likely that we will be lucky to be fighting for safety in the final days of the season. I like him and hope he turns it around but he’s got to be running out of time and worryingly he is sounding more and more like Locke

48 minutes ago, piffer said:

Remember when we had the likes of Clingan and Eremenko in midfield. They were far from flawless but when players pointlessly wasted possession they always got on at them and urged them to think about what they were doing. They and others tried to make sure everyone was on the same wavelength. 

Today was like a free for all. No one actually knew what the game plan was if indeed there was one. Some wanted to play long, others a poor passing game and a couple wanted to run with the ball. 

I saw one pointless hoof nowhere near Erwin from McKenzie in the first half that McCulloch was actually applauding. 

Spot on. Midfield today did have a lot of energy but positionally it looked lost at time, with, as said, too much interchanging positions. Hawkshaw definitely the best one, though Waters did okay in patches. Mixing it up between going long, and trying to play football through the middle, however,almost any time Greer, Findlay or O'Donnell got the ball  they went long, totally bypassing the midfield. Defence was a bit of a horror show at times in the first half though better in the 2nd. Findlay for me, is a very ordinary player, who would probably do okay at the top level of the 1st Division. 

On saying all that Dundee were very poor overall, and certainly there for the taking.Aside from the goal and MacDonald's excellent 2nd half save, they created next to nothing. Not much between the sides, though with Erwin's 1st half chance, the moment in the 2nd when Jones should have played it inside rather than shooting himself, and Boyd's last gasp effort we should have won. Both teams from todays evidence look bottom 6 stick on's.

28 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Don't think we were as bad as some making out. First 15 or so were a bit grim then we improved, Jones looking lively. We were the better team and looked decent on the front foot.

I can see the argument for that, it's the context of the thing that is worrying for me.

We made chances because Jones can run past folk and Erwin can win headers. That will happen whoever is the manager. That we didn't take them has lots to do with the organisation of the rest of the team and the training they are getting.

At least three chances today that needed squaring and we could have scored. I think it's more than individual errors, there isn't a system in place so the players now instinctively where they should be.

A small thing that stood out, but a telling one: when we had throw inside in our own half no-one had a clue what to do. Erwin wasn't coming in for the header. The midfield were hiding. It was just a mess. I think Greer and Findlay are getting a wee bit better at start moves, but the midfield has no idea.

Also, Dundee are crap. An even slightly better team and we would have been in a lot more trouble. I suppose you get close games with teams around you but we rarely felt like the home side.