Next Manager Thread

virtuocity

9 minutes ago, Doonhamer said:

Take the Killie job, get yourself back in the market, do a good job and a half decent English team will come a calling. KFC are then back to square one within a short period of time.

If he does his job properly then this shouldn't be a problem.  

The groundwork should be there for a young manager like Holt to come in and carry on where he left he off. 

This should've happened when Kenny left but AJ managed to obliterate everything he achieved.  Probably didn't help that MJ wanted to destroy any evidence Kenny wad every at the club. 

15 minutes ago, Doonhamer said:

It’s another LC scenario. Take the Killie job, get yourself back in the market, do a good job and a half decent English team will come a calling.

I think that English clubs will make their minds up on Steve Clarke regardless of how he potentially did at Kilmarnock.

He could only damage his reputation by doing very badly which brings up the subject of risk and reward. What are the risks to him of taking the post and how much do the rewards justify these? The financial rewards are likely to be comparatively negligible. The biggest reward would be to achieve stunning success and enhance his reputation.

What is the likelihood of that at RP with the current financial constraints, potential support, training facilities etc?

Edited by skygod

11 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

I'd be delighted with Clarke. Can't believe folk are saying they wouldn't take Mixu. Under him we played the best football I've seen us play, up there with the best of Williamson. Easily one of our best managers of a generation. 

Times have changed. We are not the blank canvas he inherited the last time with a pre season to sculpt. At the moment we look an unfit shambles lacking quality in key areas. He won’t be in a position to make real changes to the team until January. We are too like the United team he inherited and that did not go well. 

I’m sorry guys but it won’t be Clarke. 

Absolutely no chance whatsoever. 

He can only harm his reputation coming to Killie. He’s managed in the Premiership and there are only two ways to look at this:

1) he has ties to the club and would like to wind down his career back home. Yet he’s still young as managers go

2) he sees Killie as a stepping stone. If he thinks he could do a job and get head hunted elsewhere down south then the highest he could hope for is lower championship. 

Killie are a basket case of a club just now and I genuinely think any self respecting manager would think twice about taking this job. 

I hope I’m wrong. Trust me I want to be wrong. I want to open this thread up and everyone be telling me I’m a fanny and GIRUY. 

I hope that happens. 

19 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I’m sorry guys but it won’t be Clarke. 

Absolutely no chance whatsoever. 

He can only harm his reputation coming to Killie. He’s managed in the Premiership and there are only two ways to look at this:

1) he has ties to the club and would like to wind down his career back home. Yet he’s still young as managers go

2) he sees Killie as a stepping stone. If he thinks he could do a job and get head hunted elsewhere down south then the highest he could hope for is lower championship. 

Killie are a basket case of a club just now and I genuinely think any self respecting manager would think twice about taking this job. 

I hope I’m wrong. Trust me I want to be wrong. I want to open this thread up and everyone be telling me I’m a fanny and GIRUY. 

I hope that happens. 

So why has he applied in that case?

"The Board of Kilmarnock FC can release the following update on the vacant managerial position at the club.

Since Lee McCulloch’s departure, the club has received over 50 applications and we have been impressed by the calibre of those expressing an interest in the position.

The Board appreciates the time and effort taken to express these notes of interest and will give due consideration to all applications.

The process to identify a new manager is well under way and the club intends to provide a further update next week. "

Former Portugal international Jorge Costa is among over 50 applications for the Kilmarnock manager's post, while the club are keen to talk with Steve Clarke, BBC Scotland has learned.

The Rugby Park club are seeking a replacement for Lee McCulloch after a poor start to the season.

Costa, 45, was Porto's Champions League-winning captain in 2004.

Clarke, 54, has managed West Brom and Reading, having been an assistant at Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle.

The former St Mirren and Chelsea defender, capped by Scotland on six occasions, was most recently assistant to Roberto Di Matteo at Aston Villa but was not retained when Steve Bruce took over in October 2016.

A source at Kilmarnock told BBC Scotland that Clarke has "the right kind of experience", adding that Costa, who played 50 times for his country, is one of the applicants the Ayrshire outfit are "excited by".

Costa has managerial experience with clubs in his homeland, Romania, Cyprus and Tunisia and was national coach of Gabon.

Kilmarnock, who are bottom of the Scottish Premiership with three points from eight matches, are next in action away to Partick Thistle on 14 October.

Thistle are level on points with Killie but it seems unlikely the visitors will have a new manager in place before the game at Firhill.

(Jane Lewis, BBC)

If the club is excited by Jorge Costa - and it is not the kind of misinformation I was referring to - it doesn't seem to be shared by the support.

Edited by skygod

5 minutes ago, skygod said:

Former Portugal international Jorge Costa is among over 50 applications for the Kilmarnock manager's post, while the club are keen to talk with Steve Clarke, BBC Scotland has learned.

The Rugby Park club are seeking a replacement for Lee McCulloch after a poor start to the season.

Costa, 45, was Porto's Champions League-winning captain in 2004.

Clarke, 54, has managed West Brom and Reading, having been an assistant at Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle.

The former St Mirren and Chelsea defender, capped by Scotland on six occasions, was most recently assistant to Roberto Di Matteo at Aston Villa but was not retained when Steve Bruce took over in October 2016.

A source at Kilmarnock told BBC Scotland that Clarke has "the right kind of experience", adding that Costa, who played 50 times for his country, is one of the applicants the Ayrshire outfit are "excited by".

Costa has managerial experience with clubs in his homeland, Romania, Cyprus and Tunisia and was national coach of Gabon.

Kilmarnock, who are bottom of the Scottish Premiership with three points from eight matches, are next in action away to Partick Thistle on 14 October.

Thistle are level on points with Killie but it seems unlikely the visitors will have a new manager in place before the game at Firhill.

(Jane Lewis, BBC)

If the club is excited by Jorge Costa - and it is not the kind of misinformation I was referring to - it doesn't seem to be shared by the support.

Winning a champions league gets you a certain kind of kudos. If he couldn't turn that into being a manager in Portugal but instead ended up in Gabon, I'd think that says enough.

No thanks