Next Manager Thread

virtuocity

13 hours ago, S SMITH said:

Tell me one good reason why Gus should get the job . That bollocks that because someone played for us at one time would then be an obvious choice as our manager , total pish .He wouldn't even be mentioned if he hadn't played for Killie in the past 

Gus made St Mirren a solid SPL team and St Mirren have went downhill since. Albeit they are on an upward trajectory right now. He got Queens Park promoted and to say they have a 3rd division budget would be kind. Junior teams have better budgets. That's the way next manager markets work if someone has a previous link to that club well they won't be rank outsiders! Killie normally take the cheap option and with Andy Millen (previous assistant to Gus) already at the club well it wouldn't surprise me let's just say! Who would be your personal choice?

5 minutes ago, jamieboy said:

Gus made St Mirren a solid SPL team and St Mirren have went downhill since. Albeit they are on an upward trajectory right now. He got Queens Park promoted and to say they have a 3rd division budget would be kind. Junior teams have better budgets. That's the way next manager markets work if someone has a previous link to that club well they won't be rank outsiders! Killie normally take the cheap option and with Andy Millen (previous assistant to Gus) already at the club well it wouldn't surprise me let's just say! Who would be your personal choice?

Queens Park are able to attract players that other 3rd division clubs can't though due to their facilities etc.

As for Gus, hope to god we don't appoint him. The thought of him and Millen in the dug out gives me the fear.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Queens Park are able to attract players that other 3rd division clubs can't though due to their facilities etc.

As for Gus, hope to god we don't appoint him. The thought of him and Millen in the dug out gives me the fear.

Millen isn't a bad coach. I think he has a poor group of players to work with in the development squad who in the main are well off first team football. I've never been a fan of his since the "whole I want to play for Sellick" but he is a good coach imo from what i've saw with the development squad. Very clear and passes on good information to the players too.

11 minutes ago, jamieboy said:

Millen isn't a bad coach. I think he has a poor group of players to work with in the development squad who in the main are well off first team football. I've never been a fan of his since the "whole I want to play for Sellick" but he is a good coach imo from what i've saw with the development squad. Very clear and passes on good information to the players too.

Went to my first development game in ages the other night and got to admit I was very impressed with his style. Clear, emphasis on passing, let the players know their mistakes but praised when due. Must have been very frustraiting when they were failing to try and follow his advice. 

The way this thread is heading it seems that if it's not Clarke then there's going to be a lot of disappointment. Mixu, McIntyre, Macpherson and Holt are now all getting the "Dear god no" response when they're mentioned which is a shame. All 4 are managers who have done relatively well and have at the very least proved themselves to be better than McCulloch as a manager. Whilst Clarke would be my preferred appointment I don't think any of the other 4 would necessarily be poor appointments. In the market we're in any manager is going to come with positives, negatives and probably some large question marks - but at least they're all managers with a level of experience. If we don't get Clarke it's probably not the clubs fault, it's just consequence of maybe aiming slightly too high, IMO that has been the correct thing to do on the off chance you get a miracle deal. I'd give any of the other 4 managers my full support too though if they were to be appointed.

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The way this thread is heading it seems that if it's not Clarke then there's going to be a lot of disappointment. Mixu, McIntyre, Macpherson and Holt are now all getting the "Dear god no" response when they're mentioned which is a shame. All 4 are managers who have done relatively well and have at the very least proved themselves to be better than McCulloch as a manager. Whilst Clarke would be my preferred appointment I don't think any of the other 4 would necessarily be poor appointments. In the market we're in any manager is going to come with positives, negatives and probably some large question marks - but at least they're all managers with a level of experience. If we don't get Clarke it's probably not the clubs fault, it's just consequence of maybe aiming slightly too high, IMO that has been the correct thing to do on the off chance you get a miracle deal. I'd give any of the other 4 managers my full support too though if they were to be appointed.

Mixu has pretty much been a disaster at every club he's been at apart from Killie.

10 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Mixu has pretty much been a disaster at every club he's been at apart from Killie.

I'd probably be most apprehensive about Mixu, I think having Shiels as his assistant probably influenced the style of football and he did have a lot of players who hit their stride at the right time. He's been a mixed bag rather than a disaster. He did well with Cowdenbeath and did well in Finland. His two jobs with Hibs and Dundee Utd were a failure though, absolutely.

I know win ratios aren't a clear indicator of all aspects of a job but 40% over your career would suggest you haven't completely messed up.

Edited by Fletch

17 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Spot on fella.

18 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

At his other clubs he had a better record there than our last three managers.

His record was not good at Utd, but if we had matched that since the start of the season we would be sitting 8th instead of 12th.

A 44% win record at Kilmarnock is pretty phenomenal, and sometimes a manager or player and a club are just a good match.

Edited by Gaz of the 20/20

1 hour ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

At his other clubs he had a better record there than our last three managers.

His record was not good at Utd, but if we had matched that since the start of the season we would be sitting 8th instead of 12th.

A 44% win record at Kilmarnock is pretty phenomenal, and sometimes a manager or player and a club are just a good match.

I should probably rephrase that as his performance at clubs of a similar standard to Killie.

His win ratios at Hibs and Dundee United were around 30%- that's Locke/ McCulloch levels.

22 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

I should probably rephrase that as his performance at clubs of a similar standard to Killie.

His win ratios at Hibs and Dundee United were around 30%- that's Locke/ McCulloch levels.

It's worth noting that Since Mixu only Allan Johnston has managed a win % of over 30%. Kenny had 28.42% but his had a hell of a lot more draws. 

Mcculloch 26.67% Locke 25.58% then Lee clark the worst with 22.73%

Only 2 managers before Mixu had less than 30% Barrie Grieve in 1906-1910 and Tom Smith 1945-47. 

Shocking stats, we are steadily declining. This manager appointment is critical.

11 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

It's worth noting that Since Mixu only Allan Johnston has managed a win % of over 30%. Kenny had 28.42% but his had a hell of a lot more draws. 

Mcculloch 26.67% Locke 25.58% then Lee clark the worst with 22.73%

Only 2 managers before Mixu had less than 30% Barrie Grieve in 1906-1910 and Tom Smith 1945-47. 

Shocking stats, we are steadily declining. This manager appointment is critical.

It is critical, so what do you reckon elimination process will be ?  Heads or tails, or rock, scissors,paper ?